5900X drops to 2.2 GHz when opening a game

Hello everyone 👋

I just upgraded from a R5 2600 to a R9 5900X. When I stress test the CPU it can hit 4.7-9ghz. All great until I launch a game and the clock IMMEDIATELY drop to 2.2-2.23ghz. (PBO is on in Bios) (curve optimizer all core on in Ryzen master)

(Already checked windows power plan) 

Temps under full load are ok so def not throttling.

Any help will be beyond appreciated. Thanks to anyone who might see 😁🙏

Specs : Asus Prime Pro X470 //

5900X //32GB Trident Z Royal// DeepCool Captain 360X 360mm AIO

17 minutes ago, Renzov said:

Hello everyone 👋

I just upgraded from a R5 2600 to a R9 5900X. When I stress test the CPU it can hit 4.7-9ghz. All great until I launch a game and the clock IMMEDIATELY drop to 2.2-2.23ghz. (PBO is on in Bios) (curve optimizer all core on in Ryzen master)

I would highly recommend for you to cmos your bios and dafault all settings in ryzen master.

(optional) update your motherboard chipset software and maybe CPU software, update windows to the latest version and update your GPU drivers.

(to check) find out if your windows is manually limiting your CPU's performance. i know for a fact that windows has the option to limit CPU performance (i did that once as a prank to a friend when i disabled 4 of his cores and limited them to 3ghz)

Go to your BIOS and set your Fan curve and enable XMP.

Do nt enable PBO and do not go into ryzen master untill you can be 100% sure that the games work properly

kind regards,

The pasta man

32 minutes ago, Renzov said:

Hello everyone 👋

Pretty much what the was suggested above. 

You should try to set everything to default, bios and windows settings, just deactivate PBO

It weirdly sounds like a power issue to me...I would delete Ryzen master all together just to make sure. 

Can you check in hw monitor what the max wattage is that your cpu ever pulls?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

When @mapegl said power issues i had a idea. I checked the VRM capacity of your motherboard and you`re actually power limited or well your VRMs are working extra hard to keep up with your CPUs power requirements.

a standard 5900x pulls about 124-131 watts in its default settings your motherboard has VRMs that support up to 100A which technically can max out a 5800x but i`m not sure for a 5900x.

Download hw info and check whats happening to your CPU and motherboard.

1 hour ago, Makaroni said:

When @mapegl said power issues i had a idea. I checked the VRM capacity of your motherboard and you`re actually power limited or well your VRMs are working extra hard to keep up with your CPUs power requirements.

a standard 5900x pulls about 124-131 watts in its default settings your motherboard has VRMs that support up to 100A which technically can max out a 5800x but i`m not sure for a 5900x.

Download hw info and check whats happening to your CPU and motherboard.

Much appreciated thanks both of your help this far 🙏🙏

So I uninstalled Ryzen master > Defaults in Bios ...Kinda (I Set DOCP so that RAM would be at 3200mhz and I turned off PBO in BIOS as well) > downloaded HWiNFO. What should I do next ? 

To prefice before downloading HWiNFO I ran God of War (max settings hitting 59fps) and cpu was still doing the thing where its at 2.3-2.7ghz. Again I thank you all who have helped thus far as I'm somewhat a novice 💚🙏😁

You should run hwinfo and cpu stress test, prime95 or whatever you want. 

Look at the wattage in the maximum column and current and report what you see. 

Then reset that (the values in hw Monitor) and game for a bit and go back and look at the max wattage there. 

The problem is that if you are limited by your board, we can't really find something that is wrong and fixable...

And can you please give the full name of Our motherboard? I looked it up and there ist only a pro version I can find. Is that the one you have? That one officially supports your cpu...

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Hello all, I thank you for you patience as have trouble shooting. 

-yes I do have the " ASUS X470 Prime Pro "

-I have had PBO on and off and I look at HWinfo and everything is as erratic as when its not on

-I launch anything intensive and clock get pretty low with a lot of thermal headroom. and lets say it maintains 4.4 Ghz thru a benchmark for whatever reason as soon as any game launches it goes to 2.6ghz but if I alt-Tab fast to anything outside the game it'll go back up. I have attached pictures below. at this point should I return the CPU and get a 5800x just to see if it's a dud? I live beyond close BestBuy and go do it within minutes. if not should I order a new motherboard? maybe a new PSU? My full build is also linked below in case maybe it's my psu not being beefy enough??

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s8pspH

I hope you all have had a great day and thank you all for your help thus far

image.thumb.png.66ddde2402c24239e93070921b03f3ae.pngimage.png.5a899548e4c9093e5c09a8a73e182833.png

UPDATE: After having uninstalled Ryzen Master and re disabling PBO in BIOS and I'm few minutes in and maybe it is the MOBO? since i'm maxing out CPU EDC / Package and TDC?

Also this is the average score it keeps on getting in cine bench on 10minute multicore run.image.png.341316d1dc5c9334e8e487564d36f97e.png

image.thumb.png.9de357023fac0b5d4b204360c1366cbb.png

Again any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks, sincerely Renzov

33 minutes ago, Renzov said:

Hello all, I thank you for you patience as have trouble shooting. 

-yes I do have the " ASUS X470 Prime Pro "

-I have had PBO on and off and I look at HWinfo and everything is as erratic as when its not on

-I launch anything intensive and clock get pretty low with a lot of thermal headroom. and lets say it maintains 4.4 Ghz thru a benchmark for whatever reason as soon as any game launches it goes to 2.6ghz but if I alt-Tab fast to anything outside the game it'll go back up. I have attached pictures below. at this point should I return the CPU and get a 5800x just to see if it's a dud? I live beyond close BestBuy and go do it within minutes. if not should I order a new motherboard? maybe a new PSU? My full build is also linked below in case maybe it's my psu not being beefy enough??

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/s8pspH

I hope you all have had a great day and thank you all for your help thus far

image.thumb.png.66ddde2402c24239e93070921b03f3ae.pngimage.png.5a899548e4c9093e5c09a8a73e182833.png

I have taken a look at your PSU and this is just a guess, but I think that could be the problem. The 650W should just be enough (not a lot of headroom though), but due to the multi-rail setup and you having a high power cpu and GPU, there may be a limitation coming from that. I wasn't able to find any good documentation, but maybe, just maybe, both the CPU and GPU are hogging each other's power. A single rail PSU should be fine, but multi-rail can be weird. My brother has a bequiet PSU and for him it is 24pin,drives and pcie 1+2 on rail 1 and cpu, PCIe 3+4 on rail 2. So if you put everything on rail 2, that may cause a problem. 

Look in your PSU manual and look for "rail splittings". 

If you can tell me the exact model number of your PSU, I may be able to help. But bequiet has started to make so many variants that I don't just want to start looking. 

... basically, you could just try plugging your GPU into a different PCIe and try again and just go through all plugs until it works or...well it may also be something else.

20 minutes ago, mapegl said:

... basically, you could just try plugging your GPU into a different PCIe and try again and just go through all plugs until it works or...well it may also be something else.

**** Here is the exact PSU I have https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1253**** 

-- I just finished trying the method you mentioned above of repluggin GPU into another slot and still same issue after running Cinebench and running God of War.

-- Should I go to best buy and get a new psu and also return the CPU and get 5800X or do you reckon it's a dud? Or like you said maybe just the PSU? 

A thousand Thanks,

Renzov

1 minute ago, Renzov said:

**** Here is the exact PSU I have https://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/1253**** 

-- I just finished trying the method you mentioned above of repluggin GPU into another slot and still same issue after running Cinebench and running God of War.

-- Should I go to best buy and get a new psu and also return the CPU and get 5800X or do you reckon it's a dud?

I think @mapegl meant plugging your PCIE cable to another PCIE socket on your PSU.
Like if your current PCIE cable is plugged into PCIe1 socket on your PSU, move it to PCIe2 socket.
Unless you're using both already, dunno how many PCIe cable your GPU uses.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I think @mapegl meant plugging your PCIE cable to another PCIE socket on your PSU.
Like if your current PCIE cable is plugged into PCIe1 socket on your PSU, move it to PCIe2 socket.
Unless you're using both already, dunno how many PCIe cable your GPU uses.

Just did that as well after you mentioned it and it's unfortunatley still doing it. BUT i think i may have just found out it is.... I could be wrong but im not sure if im actually pulling that much.

I may go buy an 850w PSU at BB right now and see if that works.

image.thumb.png.7b92ce7ab12efaddfada37537082843f.png

Just now, Renzov said:

Just did that as well after you mentioned it and it's unfortunatley still doing it. BUT i think i may have just found out it is.... I could be wrong but im not sure if im actually pulling that much.

Maybe first try to remove OCs and see if that solves the problem?
Because I see you put 25% OC for both in the calc

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

19 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I've removed all OC"s PBO is off in BIOS and still the same issue. this is what HWiNFO looks like right now like 5min into a 10min Cinebench run. 

To also add to all this : before I upgraded yesterday I had my r5 2600 at 4.1 ghz stable all core 24/7 for 3 years now on the same MOBO

image.thumb.png.d4eee7222389951c2f059808b756536f.png

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

Just finished uninstalling my 5900x and put back in the 2600 oc'd it to 4.1ghz stable immediately. And im getting better fps in God of War and i ran Cinebench and it ran at 4.1 all core for the whole test. SO it has to be the PSU or CPU at this point right?

2 hours ago, Renzov said:

Just finished uninstalling my 5900x and put back in the 2600 oc'd it to 4.1ghz stable immediately. And im getting better fps in God of War and i ran Cinebench and it ran at 4.1 all core for the whole test. SO it has to be the PSU or CPU at this point right?

Well, could be the motherboard VRM isn't able to provide enough amps for the CPU.
Like @Makaroni and @mapegl mentioned above.

Look at AM4 , Tier D for your motherboard.
Again, not sure. If 5900x really eats 130w, then by my knowledge, 130w / 12v = 10,8amps, 12 cores x 10 amps = 130 amps.

16 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

The current rating is for the whole CPU, no need to multiply by core count... It's also based on core voltage, somewhere around 1.5 to 1.2V for Ryzen CPUs at full load, not 12V.

If you can still RMA your CPU, then I'd say go ahead and RMA, if the new CPU having problem too, then you'll know its not the cause.
It's the best way to save money that I can think of right now. Atleast you don't end up buying stuffs that you don't need/want.

Refresh before you reply

What game and does it give low frame rates? If the CPU can hit full speeds properly during stress test, it wouldn't be a hardware problem.

4 hours ago, mapegl said:

The 650W should just be enough (not a lot of headroom though), but due to the multi-rail setup and you having a high power cpu and GPU, there may be a limitation coming from that.

No that's not how it works, everything powered by the PSU cannot see the PSU's conditions and slow down accordingly. If the PSUs protections are tripped, it immediately cuts power without notifying the other hardware by any means as if you unplugged it from the wall while its running.

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

If 5900x really eats 130w, then by my knowledge, 130w / 12v = 10,8amps, 12 cores x 10 amps = 130 amps.

The current rating is for the whole CPU, no need to multiply by core count... It's also based on core voltage, somewhere around 1.5 to 1.2V for Ryzen CPUs at full load, not 12V.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

What game and does it give low frame rates? If the CPU can hit full speeds properly during stress test, it wouldn't be a hardware problem.

No that's not how it works, everything powered by the PSU cannot see the PSU's conditions and slow down accordingly. If the PSUs protections are tripped, it immediately cuts power without notifying the other hardware by any means as if you unplugged it from the wall while its running.

Thanks for the correction.

Refresh before you reply

7 hours ago, Renzov said:

Technically your PSU should be able to handle it, so I am thinking that's not it. Also, over-current-protection was pointed out and yes that should have triggered in case too much power was drawn. Thank you @Jurrunio. Kinda dumb on my part, nevertheless, I have seen weird behavior due to PSUs being defective, so a defect it still something I am not ruling out.

And I still am confused, because this looks so much like the CPU has enough power, but when the GPU ramps up, it is drawing it away from the CPU...

I have actually looked around and people with the same motherboard and cpu combo are doing fine. So the argument that the VRM are too weak should not apply. It is also officially supported by Asus, so I would think that at least stock, it should be fine. Those setup also had 6800s, so....

Basically, I would think that either the CPU or motherboard are defective and I would very much point towards the CPU. RMA and try again. 

One last thing I would want you to try though:

Start a run of prime or cinebench and then try what happens when you also start furmark. And then just run furmark by itself please.monitor the behavior of cpu and GPU during that.

@Renzovany news?