Headphone recommendations

IShyGuyI
Go to solution Solved by OfficialTechSpace,
35 minutes ago, PcGaming said:

What is the difference in sound I'm not too into audio so i don't know the terminology.

I think the best way to visualize the difference between these two headphones would be by comparing their frequency response. The Y-axis shows the measured loudness of said frequency, and the X-axis shows the dips or elevations in the spectrum. The black line represents neutrality, meaning that there's no tonal coloration and that sounds should play with an accurate and inoffensive nature. Neutrality also allows for faithful reproduction of the original recording, but depending upon your tastes you may prefer a tonally colored presentation. You'll notice in the treble frequencies around 6kHz to 10kHz there is a clear elevation in response on the DT990. This means that sounds within that range will appear exaggerated and potentially fatiguing over long periods of time. This same area measures more subdued on the HE400SE, rendering it more accurate and also less fatiguing.

934644124_HE400se(1).thumb.jpg.7b1964e5f032f8de825eac0fbda718a8.jpg64037528_DT990-Pro-250(1).thumb.jpg.eb2eed2a58630dab03b77bebd6557ca3.jpg

They also use two different driver types. The DT990 being your typical and most common dynamic driver, and the HE400SE being a planar magnetic driver. Arguments can be made for both technologies, however it really comes down to implementation more than anything. One driver type isn't necessarily better than the other, although planars certainly have more potential being that they're often much thinner, lighter, and faster.

Simplified:

Too much treble = pain

Too little treble = missing detail

Neutral treble = just right, and evenly riding the line between both

Hi i was looking into upgrading my headphones and saw that these were highly recommended( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KFN5LL4/?coliid=I1SM5LGBW6IAZ&colid=21OJWS9W97C2I&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 ) I will mostly use them for gaming, videos and movies. Also if you could tell me how i can add a mic to them or are there some stand alone mics that would work. My budget is around $150ish can go a bit higher. Thanks

Definitely right up there, probably one of the easier to recommend cans in this pricerange. Not many competent competitors, although I will make a point of how sharp the DT990 can be at times. The top-end can be a bit shrill, and depending upon your tastes that may or may not be a dealbreaker.

If you'd prefer a more linear and forgiving sound, I'd suggest the HiFiMan HE400SE instead. It's also a little cheaper, and a crazy value right now. I'd choose it over practically anything else until the $200+ range. Better tuning, and similar technical performance to the DT990.

As for mics, the big recommendation is the Antlion ModMic. You can decide for yourself whether you'd prefer the wired/wireless variant, but that's typically the go-to in addition to any other headphone.

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

WHEEL: Logitech G29 + Logitech G Shifter

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

COOLER: EVGA CLC 280 PSU: MSI A750GF 80+ Gold CASE: Phanteks P400A Digital

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

30 minutes ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Definitely right up there, probably one of the easier to recommend cans in this pricerange. Not many competent competitors, although I will make a point of how sharp the DT990 can be at times. The top-end can be a bit shrill, and depending upon your tastes that may or may not be a dealbreaker.

If you'd prefer a more linear and forgiving sound, I'd suggest the HiFiMan HE400SE instead. It's also a little cheaper, and a crazy value right now. I'd choose it over practically anything else until the $200+ range. Better tuning, and similar technical performance to the DT990.

As for mics, the big recommendation is the Antlion ModMic. You can decide for yourself whether you'd prefer the wired/wireless variant, but that's typically the go-to in addition to any other headphone.

What is the difference in sound I'm not too into audio so i don't know the terminology.

35 minutes ago, PcGaming said:

I think the best way to visualize the difference between these two headphones would be by comparing their frequency response. The Y-axis shows the measured loudness of said frequency, and the X-axis shows the dips or elevations in the spectrum. The black line represents neutrality, meaning that there's no tonal coloration and that sounds should play with an accurate and inoffensive nature. Neutrality also allows for faithful reproduction of the original recording, but depending upon your tastes you may prefer a tonally colored presentation. You'll notice in the treble frequencies around 6kHz to 10kHz there is a clear elevation in response on the DT990. This means that sounds within that range will appear exaggerated and potentially fatiguing over long periods of time. This same area measures more subdued on the HE400SE, rendering it more accurate and also less fatiguing.

934644124_HE400se(1).thumb.jpg.7b1964e5f032f8de825eac0fbda718a8.jpg64037528_DT990-Pro-250(1).thumb.jpg.eb2eed2a58630dab03b77bebd6557ca3.jpg

They also use two different driver types. The DT990 being your typical and most common dynamic driver, and the HE400SE being a planar magnetic driver. Arguments can be made for both technologies, however it really comes down to implementation more than anything. One driver type isn't necessarily better than the other, although planars certainly have more potential being that they're often much thinner, lighter, and faster.

Simplified:

Too much treble = pain

[Main Desktop]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti (FTW3 Ultra)  MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon (X470)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x8GB)

COOLER: Arctic LiquidFreezer II 280 STORAGE: G.SKILL Phoenix FTL 240GB SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, Toshiba 2TB HDD, Seagate 4TB HDD

PSU: EVGA GQ-1000W 80+ Gold  CASE: The MESHMOD v1.0 (Custom Deepcool Matrexx 70 chassis)  MONITOR: AOC 24G2 144Hz (IPS) 

MOUSE: Logitech G502 HERO (wired)  KEYBOARD: Rosewill K81 RGB (Kailh Brown)  HEADPHONES: HiFiMan Ananda, Drop x Sennheiser HD6XX

IEMS: 7Hz Timeless, Tin Audio T2, Blon BL-03, Samsung/AKG Galaxy Buds Pro  STUDIO MONITORS: Mackie MR524, Mackie MRS10  MIC: NEAT Worker Bee  

INTERFACE: Focusrite Scarlett Solo  AMPLIFIER: SMSL SP200 THX AAA-888, XDUOO XD-05 Basic  DAC: SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII (upgraded AK4493 Version)

[Stream Encoder]

CPU: AMD FX-9590  GPU: Sapphire R9 390X (Tri-X OC)  MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 (AM3+)  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1866 (2x8GB)

[Garage]

CAR: 2003 Honda Civic Coupe LX (EM2)  ENGINE: D17A1, planned K20A2 swap  INTAKE: DIY Solutions Short RAM  HEADERS: Motor1 4-2-1 with Cat-Delete

EXHAUST: Yonaka 2.5" Cat-Back with 3.5" tip (YMCB-CIV0105)  COILOVERS: MaXpeedingrods adjustable  RIMS: Core Racing Concept Seven Alloys (15x6.5)

RECEIVER: Kenwood DPX304MBT  SOUND DEADENING: Damplifier Pro Deadening Mats  SOUND DAMPENING: Custom solution, layers of thick insulation

DOOR SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-P710PS 6.5" Components  WINDOW LEDGE SPEAKERS: Kenwood KFC-6996PS 6x9" 5-Ways

1 hour ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

If you'd prefer a more linear and forgiving sound, I'd suggest the HiFiMan HE400SE instead. It's also a little cheaper, and a crazy value right now

Based off of my experience that is true. 

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

2 hours ago, OfficialTechSpace said:

Simplified:

Too much treble = pain

Thanks for all the info I'll try out the HE400SE and see how it goes.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:10 PM, PcGaming said:

Thanks for all the info I'll try out the HE400SE and see how it goes.

Nice. Also do you have an amp to pair them with?

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

For gaming I really love Sennheiser open backs. The Sennheiser HD559 is excellent. They are very comfortable and non-fatiguing. The 559 is sold around $80. There is no need for a headphone amp. Even your phone can power them. 

You can also purchase the 599 for $160, but I doubt that it will be a significant upgrade over the 559. 

6 hours ago, kokakolia said:

For gaming I really love Sennheiser open backs. The Sennheiser HD559 is excellent. They are very comfortable and non-fatiguing. The 559 is sold around $80. There is no need for a headphone amp. Even your phone can power them. 

You can also purchase the 599 for $160, but I doubt that it will be a significant upgrade over the 559. 

OP already purchased the HE400SE, and has been using them since yesterday. When a post is marked as solved, that means it's solved. Lol. 

Also, Sennheiser doesn't have anything worth having in the lower mid-fi eschelon of things. Especially headphones like the HD559, which is a D-tier can, and an abomination of sound engineering. Garbage tuning, and insufficient technicalities. Definitely not "excellent" by any means, whether that's for casual listening or even gaming. The $20 KSC-75's outperform them, and HiFiMan blows them out of the water.

HD559.thumb.jpg.5b234d25ad75a112b8589fa9f265de98.jpgKSC75.thumb.jpg.b77135a73bd316730c9a9c2c90ac49f8.jpg

9 hours ago, Tigerleon said:

OP does not. Currently using onboard audio, but if a DAC/Amp presents itself as necessary we shall discuss it. So far so good.

[Main Desktop]

[Stream Encoder]

[Garage]

On 5/21/2022 at 3:14 AM, Tigerleon said:

no i don't i am barley getting into audio. I might get one later