Looking for help with my home NAS setup please

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to help, i'm relatively proficient with computers in general but when it comes to networking i've very little experience, i picked up a HP MediaServer EX490 (managed to pick one up locally on the cheap) and so far i've got 2x 4TB drives in there, TrueNAS Core is up and running on it as Windows Server just would not install (this is what it was shipped with new) its set up to access locally on my network from Windows, but i've had no success getting it set up so i can access it from Android on the local network and even less luck getting it set up to access from out of the house over the internet, if anyone could point me either to a guide with detailed steps or possibly be on hand to walk me through it i'd be unbelievably grateful. I'm in the UK in case that matters for time zone.

Thank you in advance and thank you for reading 🙂

1 hour ago, Shadow152 said:

its set up to access locally on my network from Windows

What exactly are you trying to access and how are you trying to access it?
Is it a SMB share? Is it a web interface? Something else entirely?

Senzelian, It's mainly documents, photos and some videos (videos on the move aren't that important) for Windows locally it's set up as an SMB but thats about as far as i got, i did some reading online that suggested doing Android as SSH but i haven't a clue where to start with that, last time i did anything SSH related was a decade ago jailbreaking my iphones lol

I'd go with webdav TBH. TrueNas must have a plugin for it, and you can just point it to your SMB shares.

It's not that using ssh (or scp as you would for transfer) is hard, but you are doing file transfer over a protocol designed for remote administration, and need to lock it down to secure it, and mess around with keys etc to make it secure.

Look into the nextcloud and owncloud plugins for trueNAS they both have android apps and should accomplish what your looking for. Use the plex plugin for your media.