Computer doesn't detect hardware

xvconnor

Just picked up this computer from a friend. He recently reset it to the point where I need to still go through the setup. I put a mouse in the 2.0 USB and it for some reason under the USB devices says 2 mice in the bios? And it doesn't detect my keyboard at all either. When I actually try to continue the setup, the mouse then isn't detected so I can't complete the process of installing windows.

Asus B350 Plus
Ryzen 3 1200

Snapchat-1510166217.jpg

First, what mouse is it? I have seen peripherals (mainly gaming oriented ones with macro capabilities) show up in the BIOS as multiple devices. If it's super basic, bargain bin stuff, that shouldn't cause this issue, but if it's something like a G502 or K70, it might be the problem.

Next, did you try different USB ports? I've seen ports just be dead on boards so it's worth a shot swapping plugs around to see if that does anything. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

First, what mouse is it? I have seen peripherals (mainly gaming oriented ones with macro capabilities) show up in the BIOS as multiple devices. If it's super basic, bargain bin stuff, that shouldn't cause this issue, but if it's something like a G502 or K70, it might be the problem.

Corsair Harpoon. Also my keyboard isn't detected and that's one I literally picked up at Walmart. Although the keyboard may just be broken. Its the 10$ onn one

3 minutes ago, xvconnor said:

Corsair Harpoon. Also my keyboard isn't detected and that's one I literally picked up at Walmart. Although the keyboard may just be broken. Its the 10$ onn one

yeah, those might be the issue. Try the keyboard in another system or on another USB port to see if that gets it to detect.

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

yeah, those might be the issue. Try the keyboard in another system or on another USB port to see if that gets it to detect.

Tried in all USB ports. Honestly no idea if it works at all anyhow. As for the mouse, should I get another one to try? I've honestly never seen this issue until now so I'm kinda lost. It lights up until it gets to the windows screen and then it doesn't

I'd try different USB ports. Maybe use a different USB keyboard and mouse?

If you can try a PS2 style keyboard or mouse! I know they're ancient but it might be worth a shot if you got one laying around.

Just now, xvconnor said:

Tried in all USB ports. Honestly no idea if it works at all anyhow. As for the mouse, should I get another one to try? I've honestly never seen this issue until now so I'm kinda lost. It lights up until it gets to the windows screen and then it doesn't

I mean, you can try another mouse, it shouldn't hurt anything. I doubt it's really a problem, but you might as well if it won't work in Windows. 

Keyboard I'd try in a different system to see if it does work.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, you can try another mouse, it shouldn't hurt anything. I doubt it's really a problem, but you might as well if it won't work in Windows. 

Keyboard I'd try in a different system to see if it does work.

Lets say the mouse doesn't work still with another one; any idea what the issue may be? 

28 minutes ago, xvconnor said:

Lets say the mouse doesn't work still with another one; any idea what the issue may be? 

Only reason I can see the mouse not working at this point is a driver issue. 

9 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Only reason I can see the mouse not working at this point is a driver issue. 

Reset the cmos again and it works with a different keyboard. Another issue though, I load into my ssd with windows install and then the keyboard and mouse lights turn off like there's no power anymore to them

15 minutes ago, xvconnor said:

Reset the cmos again and it works with a different keyboard. Another issue though, I load into my ssd with windows install and then the keyboard and mouse lights turn off like there's no power anymore to them

That does sound kinda like a bad driver, though I have no idea why it would do that though, especially if you're trying to use more basic peripherals. 

If you do have a ps2 keyboard/mouse and that board does have ps2 connectors, try them instead. Ps2 is completely driverless so that should eliminate it being a driver issue.