Upgrade from Galaxy S10

jmn

Hi, looking to maybe upgrade to a new phone having a Galaxy S10 at the moment. Didn't find anything worth the upgrade yet. What I'm looking for is:

• A phone similar in size to S10 (149.9 x 70.4 x 7.8 mm (5.90 x 2.77 x 0.31 in) Not a fan of big phones
  • Has a micro sd slot OR at least 512gb of internal storage.
  • At least a slightly better camera
  • Is waterproof (IP68)
  • Not too expensive

I was waiting for the Sony Xperia 5 IV, but it wasn't announced during the last Sony event. I know because of the size and micro sd, my choices are pretty narrow, so should I wait til next year?

1 hour ago, jmn said:

Hi, looking to maybe upgrade to a new phone having a Galaxy S10 at the moment. Didn't find anything worth the upgrade yet. What I'm looking for is:

• A phone similar in size to S10 (149.9 x 70.4 x 7.8 mm (5.90 x 2.77 x 0.31 in) Not a fan of big phones
  • Has a micro sd slot
  • At least a slightly better camera
  • Is waterproof
  • Not too expensive

I was waiting for the Sony Xperia 5 IV, but it wasn't announced during the last Sony event. I know because of the size and micro sd, my choices are pretty narrow, so should I wait til next year?

I would only wait if you don't feel you'd gain much in performance, built-in storage (up to 256GB) or features from the regular Galaxy S22. I've tried the S22+, and enjoyed it a lot beyond Samsung's usual attempt to push services. The microSD slot shouldn't be the decisive factor.

I've seen numerous people over the years who hold out on a purchase hoping the industry will bring back a feature they liked, such as a removable battery, headphone jack or microSD slot... and more often than not, that just leaves them clinging to an old phone while they wait for the change that never happens. I know Samsung went back to microSD for a while after the S6, but I doubt it's going back with the S23 — increasing capacities reduce the need for expansion cards, and the speed gap between built-in and removable storage is becoming difficult to ignore.

Sony does seem to appeal to traditionalists in some ways, but it's increasingly pricing itself out of contention. The Xperia 1 IV is $1,600 US; it's hard to imagine an Xperia 5 IV costing any less than $999 at that rate, and we don't know what kind of storage you can expect for the money.

You probably want to define waterproof. The flagships typically are IP68 (immersion) certified. The lower ones often only IP 67. 

And yeah, old features that take room, cost money and make water proofing harder are unlikely to come back. Embrace the new. I'm surprised they still use SIM cards and not some other means of registering a phone. 

I used to miss 3.5 mm and memory cards. But now BT headphones are so great and have 16 hour batteries, I would never use a wired headphone anymore. Same for memory cards where you have to decide what app uses the faster internal or slower card memory.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Keep the 10 for now. If you are worried abt software support, dm me and I can give you some custom roms to keep it up to date. 

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

33 minutes ago, Lurking said:

You probably want to define waterproof. The flagships typically are IP68 (immersion) certified. The lower ones often only IP 67. 

And yeah, old features that take room, cost money and make water proofing harder are unlikely to come back. Embrace the new. I'm surprised they still use SIM cards and not some other means of registering a phone. 

I used to miss 3.5 mm and memory cards. But now BT headphones are so great and have 16 hour batteries, I would never use a wired headphone anymore. Same for memory cards where you have to decide what app uses the faster internal or slower card memory.

For waterproof, I meant similar to S10 which is IP68.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I would only wait if you don't feel you'd gain much in performance, built-in storage (up to 256GB) or features from the regular Galaxy S22. I've tried the S22+, and enjoyed it a lot beyond Samsung's usual attempt to push services. The microSD slot shouldn't be the decisive factor.

I've seen numerous people over the years who hold out on a purchase hoping the industry will bring back a feature they liked, such as a removable battery, headphone jack or microSD slot... and more often than not, that just leaves them clinging to an old phone while they wait for the change that never happens. I know Samsung went back to microSD for a while after the S6, but I doubt it's going back with the S23 — increasing capacities reduce the need for expansion cards, and the speed gap between built-in and removable storage is becoming difficult to ignore.

Sony does seem to appeal to traditionalists in some ways, but it's increasingly pricing itself out of contention. The Xperia 1 IV is $1,600 US; it's hard to imagine an Xperia 5 IV costing any less than $999 at that rate, and we don't know what kind of storage you can expect for the money.

I get your point, but right now I'm using a 512gb and have over 400gb on it. I know I could technically use a service to store everything, but prefer to keep it as internal storage for now mostly because network is still non existent in some areas.

Once there are more affordable phones with 512gb/1tb of storage Iwon't need a micro sd,

2 hours ago, jmn said:

For waterproof, I meant similar to S10 which is IP68.

I get your point, but right now I'm using a 512gb and have over 400gb on it. I know I could technically use a service to store everything, but prefer to keep it as internal storage for now mostly because network is still non existent in some areas.

Once there are more affordable phones with 512gb/1tb of storage Iwon't need a micro sd,

Don’t let people convince you microsd isnt a necessary feature, the main reason i will hold off on upgrading my phone is the lack of removable storage, it is SO frustrating.

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4