Repairing Disk Errors...

tinpanalley

This is good, chkdsk repaired some errors, now you can do that to the system partition on your broken windows disk, this one looks like main partition with all the data on it.

12 minutes ago, Marko Del Vechio said:

This is good, chkdsk repaired some errors, now you can do that to the system partition on your broken windows disk, this one looks like main partition with all the data on it.

But wait, that was my system partition no? The one with Windows on it.

It was too big to be a system id say.

This is what disk menagment shows for my disks

disks.png

You should do it in this order

diskpart

list disk

sel disk #   number on which disk broken windows is

list part

sel part # with system type

28 minutes ago, Marko Del Vechio said:

It was too big to be a system id say.

Ahh...I thought a "system disk" was where Windows lived. Ok, now I understand.

These are the only other two partitions on the bad SSD:

chkdsk - P.txt chkdsk - R.txt

18 minutes ago, Marko Del Vechio said:

Btw,

willing to try this tool a go?

Sure, I guess. Is this a tool you designed or something?

So what do you think? Have I got a hardware problem or just corrupt files?
What would you recommend in a 500GB nvme? I have to study this kind of drive, I don't know anything about them.

No, just a random tool i used sometime ago to try and fix similiar issue.

Well i think you just have corrupt boot files for your broken windows,

This tool might fix that by writing the old windows boot parameters to your current windows boot partition, so you can chose either windows to start when powering on your pc.

Instead of having 2 boot partitions you would have a single one for both.

Would like like mine, as i have dual boot done aswell.

When you open the tool try automatic repair

DUAL boot.png

1 hour ago, Marko Del Vechio said:

This tool might fix that by writing the old windows boot parameters to your current windows boot partition, so you can chose either windows to start when powering on your pc.  Instead of having 2 boot partitions you would have a single one for both.

I'm a bit confused. I only have one Windows on that SSD.

27 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

I'm a bit confused. I only have one Windows on that SSD.

The location of windows install directory is not important.

A system partition contains a file which tells your PC what are the startup variables and folder of windows directory.

You can have a system part on each disk where you have windows, or use one for both. Its only a small part and the file is like couple megs id say.,

So when you start your pc it will ask you do you want win 10 or win 7, you select win and it will boot it.

1 hour ago, Marko Del Vechio said:

The location of windows install directory is not important.

A system partition contains a file which tells your PC what are the startup variables and folder of windows directory.

You can have a system part on each disk where you have windows, or use one for both. Its only a small part and the file is like couple megs id say.,

So when you start your pc it will ask you do you want win 10 or win 7, you select win and it will boot it.

Ok... Well, I sort of went back a bit through your notes and wanted to determine whether it could all simply be a cable.

So I replaced the power cable. I then decided to try reinstalling Windows from an installer flash drive.

I am currently using Win10 again, on that SSD drive, and Windows has been going through its setup with no problems. I have yet to have any issues. In fact, the system is flying.

So...
1. I've lost my last Windows. Pain in the ass. Any way I can recover my User--Documents folder from the last Windows install and maybe all the desktop shortcuts to stuff I had installed on the storage drives?

2. How do I know FOR SURE that there is nothing actually wrong with this drive? I feel like I really need to confirm this before getting comfortable again.

3 hours ago, tinpanalley said:

Ok... Well, I sort of went back a bit through your notes and wanted to determine whether it could all simply be a cable.

So I replaced the power cable. I then decided to try reinstalling Windows from an installer flash drive.

I am currently using Win10 again, on that SSD drive, and Windows has been going through its setup with no problems. I have yet to have any issues. In fact, the system is flying.

So...
1. I've lost my last Windows. Pain in the ass. Any way I can recover my User--Documents folder from the last Windows install and maybe all the desktop shortcuts to stuff I had installed on the storage drives?

2. How do I know FOR SURE that there is nothing actually wrong with this drive? I feel like I really need to confirm this before getting comfortable again.

Well if you did install on the same partition without formating it first, your old windows files should be in C:\WINDOWS.OLD , just rename the folder to something you want as some windows update might overwrite it at some point.

Well if no crashes or errors start happening again, the disk is fine id say.