laptop under perfoming

karmic tr
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
1 hour ago, karmic tr said:

i have a hp laptop hp laptop by4061nr  its 16 gigs of ram single channel 3200 (but only goes to 2667 xmp cat be found) intel iris xe  500 gig ssd and i5-1135g7 normal 1080p panel i get several lower fps in games tha in the videos i see with the same specs and games like fortnite run horrible compared to video online with the same specs please help

So what is different about your machine than the one in the video?  Is there something maybe running in the background eating processor cycles that is slowing you?  Did you add memory to the device yourself or did you get it with the memory installed?  If you’re running single channel but the machine in the video wasn’t that could make a big difference.  16gb single channel is weird.  It’s usually 2x8gb for dual channel. 

i have a hp laptop hp laptop by4061nr  its 16 gigs of ram single channel 3200 (but only goes to 2667 xmp cat be found) intel iris xe  500 gig ssd and i5-1135g7 normal 1080p panel i get several lower fps in games tha in the videos i see with the same specs and games like fortnite run horrible compared to video online with the same specs please help

1 hour ago, karmic tr said:

So what is different about your machine than the one in the video?  Is there something maybe running in the background eating processor cycles that is slowing you?  Did you add memory to the device yourself or did you get it with the memory installed?  If you’re running single channel but the machine in the video wasn’t that could make a big difference.  16gb single channel is weird.  It’s usually 2x8gb for dual channel. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 hours ago, karmic tr said:

Are the videos you're watching of the same laptop? HP by4061nr? Same specs doesn't necessarily mean it will perform the same as another laptop. Cooling, for example, can make a large difference. But that is one of many variables there could be between same specs and different laptops.  

not the same laptop but the same specs i laso have an external laptop cooling fan so my laptop runs at about 50-65 while gaming or rendering

3 hours ago, karmic tr said:

not the same laptop

It is impossible to compare different laptop models from different manufacturers even if they have the same CPU. If the turbo power limits are set differently, performance can vary significantly. 

Try running ThrottleStop. Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for 15+ minutes. Attach a log to your next post so I can check it for any unusual throttling. Also post some screenshots. 

7 hours ago, karmic tr said:

not the same laptop but the same specs i laso have an external laptop cooling fan so my laptop runs at about 50-65 while gaming or rendering

You may have fallen victim to checkbox shenanigans.  Being able to mark a checkbox is no guarantor of performance.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You may have fallen victim to checkbox shenanigans.  Being able to mark a checkbox is no guarantor of performance.

please explain more on what this means

28 minutes ago, karmic tr said:

please explain more on what this means

There is a species of product that seeks to be able to check boxes on a spec sheet because people looking for those stats will then buy the thing but that doesn’t alway necearily mean it’s actually useful.  Microsoft went after posix compliance some years ago for windows, but did it in a checkbox manner so it’s not actually that useful.