Screwdriver

andyGstl

First off, I love the design of the screwdriver along with it's features! I'm not that big of a fan of orange, but the orange on black and not overloading the screwdriver with orange is visually appealing.
Secondly, what sets this screwdriver apart from regular ones? Is it all of the features that are incorporated in it? Besides having the logo on it, why should I buy one?

It does have a couple of appealing features. 

1. The bits are stored in the handle. You can't really forget the bits if you have the screwdriver with you. 

2. Linus has talked quite a lot about wanting the "strongest magnet possible" in the screwdriver, should make it easy to use and pick up dropped screws etc. 

However it's a pricy screwdriver. This is partly because LTT will produce a relatively low number of screwdrivers (compared to a hardware company) and the productionprice per screwdriver will therefor be higher for LTT than for example for Klein Tools. 

As I see it, there are two reasons to buy a LTT screwdriver. The first are the features the second is to support LMG. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 10:06 AM, spannvis said:

It does have a couple of appealing features. 

1. The bits are stored in the handle. You can't really forget the bits if you have the screwdriver with you. 

2. Linus has talked quite a lot about wanting the "strongest magnet possible" in the screwdriver, should make it easy to use and pick up dropped screws etc. 

However it's a pricy screwdriver. This is partly because LTT will produce a relatively low number of screwdrivers (compared to a hardware company) and the productionprice per screwdriver will therefor be higher for LTT than for example for Klein Tools. 

As I see it, there are two reasons to buy a LTT screwdriver. The first are the features the second is to support LMG. 

I totally get wanting to support LMG, and I'm all about that. I will push back on the production price a bit. If you order enough of a product the costs will come down. And I understand that molds are expensive, but they generally don't wear down so their ROI gets better over time (but that's the business planning and analyzing mindset in me). It does have some good and appealing features, but they aren't enough to justify paying out $70 for a screwdriver, in my opinion. Maybe if it came with more bits or was slightly less then it may appeal to me more. And yes, I can appreciate a quality tool, and I am willing to pay for quality because in some cases you get what you pay for, however I wouldn't feel comfortable paying that much for a tool without trying it first.

12 hours ago, andyGstl said:

but they aren't enough to justify paying out $70 for a screwdriver, in my opinion.

Keep in mind, this is what it "should" be competing with in terms of quality and features.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Standard-Handle/8-3-4"-Ratcheting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

12 hours ago, andyGstl said:

I totally get wanting to support LMG, and I'm all about that. I will push back on the production price a bit. If you order enough of a product the costs will come down. And I understand that molds are expensive, but they generally don't wear down so their ROI gets better over time (but that's the business planning and analyzing mindset in me). It does have some good and appealing features, but they aren't enough to justify paying out $70 for a screwdriver, in my opinion. Maybe if it came with more bits or was slightly less then it may appeal to me more. And yes, I can appreciate a quality tool, and I am willing to pay for quality because in some cases you get what you pay for, however I wouldn't feel comfortable paying that much for a tool without trying it first.

You say you want to support LMG and are "all about that", but not enough to spend $70 on a screwdriver...

Injection molds don't last forever, and the longer lasting ones cost more.  But yes, you do "invest" upfront in tooling, and then your ROI increases.  But sometimes that me your ROI goes from negative on the first units to positive after a while.

What in your opinion (which is only a single voice out of millions of potential customers) is the right price?  Is that price in line with the market, or do you just not like what it costs to produce a high quality screw driver?

How do you know a tool is high quality with only a limited ability to try it first?  How many screws do you need to drive with the tool to confirm it is high quality?

What is the most expensive hand tool you have purchased in the past?

Some perspective 

IMG_20220510_084159.jpg

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

On 6/4/2022 at 11:06 PM, Yoinkerman said:

Some perspective 

IMG_20220510_084159.jpg

I was gonna mention Wera, which is like the highest quality screwdrivers people tend to buy around here (Europe). Though that price is way higher than what I saw, which is around 55-60, and yes for the exact same set.

Still that shows you the price of these things. Now obviously the big question is, will the quality be on par?

I do not think I will buy 1 at release, I really want to see how it will perform. With other products I might not be as worried, because even if it's not exactly the quality I expected, I can still use it.

I however have loads of tools, I have a lot of DeWalt 18v (that's 20v if you live in a country where they are allowed to lie about voltages while using it), plenty of screwdrivers I hardly use, and I got a Makita toolkit in my car for when I need something on the go. So handy yes, but not necessary. So I want to see the reviews, I want people to really stress test this thing. If it holds up, I will buy 1.