Will my pcie x1 wifi card work in my bottom pcie x16 slot?

cat milker
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

It'll fit, and it'll work. 

PCIe is one of those things that if it fits, it works.

I am looking at graphic cards right now and have come to the realization that the x1 slot is basically right beneath the first x16 slot, so i cant fit my wifi adapter. There is a bottom x16 slot though, and I looked it up, and it said it would work. I just wanted to double check to make sure though. Even if it does fit I don't want it to be blocking any air from my gpu, because it would most likely be right underneath the gpu if it did fit. 

Wifi card------>https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zQqPxr/edup-ep-9636gs-bl-pcie-x1-80211abgnacax-wi-fi-adapter-ep-9636gs-bl

Mobo---------->https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ybjBD3/asus-prime-b560m-a-micro-atx-lga1200-motherboard-prime-b560m-a

Specs: 11700 | RTX 3060 | 32gb 3200mhz | 1tb 970 + 2TB HDD | Lian Li O11D Mini X Black

I'm 15 and live in the US

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

thak you!

Specs: 11700 | RTX 3060 | 32gb 3200mhz | 1tb 970 + 2TB HDD | Lian Li O11D Mini X Black

I'm 15 and live in the US

16 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That's a bit of a generalisation as M.2 is still PCIe and in those this is not necessarily the case.

It also misses the possibility that some PCIe slots share lanes, so on some boards even putting a x1 card in the bottom slot can halve the speed of the top slot.  So yes it works, but sometimes its a bit more complicated than that, depends on the motherboard.

Generally if you have empty x1 slots its safer to use those as they always go to the chipset so do not downgrade any other slot when used.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7