KIOXIA Exceria G2 1TB vs PNY XLR8 CS3030 1TB

uberas
Go to solution Solved by Wooden Law - Black,
1 hour ago, uberas said:

Seems like PNY has cut down the drive, I just don’t understand why do you say it’s got better dram when it’s 512mb vs 1gb?

The DRAM capacity depends also on the drive capacity, so in some case it could be 512MB in other 1GB. The PNY has too many revisions to said that, you have to analyse every revision. 

Anyway, in gaming there are no differences between them, so I’d pick the cheapest one.

Hi again guys,

I’ve already been asking a similar question but meanwhile my situation changed (got rid of old laptop and left 970 evo to a new buyer)

buying new laptop which comes with trashy 512gb QLC drive 

so basically I have 2 “deals” on ssd right now:

1. PNY; I’ve got deep into specs and they swapped initial e12 and 1gb dram to: E12S + 512 MB LPDDR3 + 64l 3D TLC YMTC

price: 83USD

2. KIOXIA 

Phison E12C + TSMC 28nm TC58NC1202GST
NAND: Toshiba 112-Layer 3D TLC (4 x 256GB)
DRAM: 1 GB Samsung DDR4 2666MHz K4A8G165WC-BCTD

price: 74USD

basically all I do is game and lurk web, however I always encrypt my drive 

it seems to me that kioxia has got better “specs” but worse controller 4v8 channels, and since games don’t need huge transfers what should I chose? PNY seems to be “mid range” and kioxia budget, but it’s newly released and has ddr4 dram. Which one to pick?

also there’s that new “next gen consoles” a like feature coming to windows, hence why thinking maybe I need better transfers?

SSDS for gaming do not matter much at all as long as they are reliable and have the cache I would just go with the kioxia one. Also  is there a reason why you encrypt your drive?

That new Feature is still a few years off before it becomes properly implemented in most games. I wouldnt be too worried about it.

spec wise the kioxia is way better than pny. plus kioxia is a first party manufacturer like samsung.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, Shimejii said:

SSDS for gaming do not matter much at all as long as they are reliable and have the cache I would just go with the kioxia one. Also  is there a reason why you encrypt your drive?

That new Feature is still a few years off before it becomes properly implemented in most games. I wouldnt be too worried about it.

I know they don’t for now, but I want to keep the system for next like 5 years

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

spec wise the kioxia is way better than pny. plus kioxia is a first party manufacturer like samsung.

So the kioxia looks like no brainer to me, it’s just the transfer which is half really and could impact future 

10 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

False, the Kioxia isn't better than the PNY. First of all, the PNY has a better controller (as the OP said the E12S is a 8-channel while the E12C is a 4-channel), a better DRAM (I don't know why the OP said DDR3 instead a DDR4) and you can have also better flash if you get a version with Micron B27A/B27B (96L TLC). Even as performance the PNY is better (the Exceria G2 is more or less the same as the Exceria, check TPU's review).

BTW, how did you see that the Exceria G2 uses 112L flash instead 96L one @uberas

1 hour ago, Wooden Law - Black said:

False, the Kioxia isn't better than the PNY. First of all, the PNY has a better controller (as the OP said the E12S is a 8-channel while the E12C is a 4-channel), a better DRAM (I don't know why the OP said DDR3 instead a DDR4) and you can have also better flash if you get a version with Micron B27A/B27B (96L TLC). Even as performance the PNY is better (the Exceria G2 is more or less the same as the Exceria, check TPU's review).

BTW, how did you see that the Exceria G2 uses 112L flash instead 96L one @uberas

Im just quoting what was said by community in here:

https://www.pepper.pl/promocje/dysk-kioxia-exceria-g2-1tb-ssd-nvme-531621#comment-9806470
and here

https://www.pepper.pl/promocje/dysk-ssd-pny-1tb-m2-pcie-nvme-xlr8-cs3030-530575#comment-9778945

Seems like PNY has cut down the drive, I just don’t understand why do you say it’s got better dram when it’s 512mb vs 1gb?

Im no expert but seems like PNY has got better transfers, and kioxia should be more snappy due to more dram but please tell me whenever I’m wrong and which one shall I pick?

I see now The kioxia has only 19gb SLC cache, any idea what new PNY has got?

1 hour ago, uberas said:

The DRAM capacity depends also on the drive capacity, so in some case it could be 512MB in other 1GB. The PNY has too many revisions to said that, you have to analyse every revision. 

Anyway, in gaming there are no differences between them, so I’d pick the cheapest one.

I’m picking kioxia due to lower temps and since it’ll be in laptop it does matter, although little scared of performance. Thanks

Was a bad call, now in large games like MFS, forza horizon 5 I have textures pop up. Reminds me of playing gta v on hdd drive.