Help With Local Video Server

Yet again I break down and resort to the LTT Forum for help

For my current attempt I’ve trying to set up a media server using Apache that gives a home made UI from word press, and then allows users to download files from a host pc.

However I keep getting errors trying to just even try Apache. Permission’s errors, DDL incompatibilities, ect.

Is there an easier way to either make a local host video download (local download, not streaming) server that I can access via a web url?

Just now, G3R489 said:

Yet again I break down and resort to the LTT Forum for help

For my current attempt I’ve trying to set up a media server using Apache that gives a home made UI from word press, and then allows users to download files from a host pc.

However I keep getting errors trying to just even try Apache. Permission’s errors, DDL incompatibilities, ect.

Is there an easier way to either make a local host video download (local download, not streaming) server that I can access via a web url?

image.jpg

image.jpg

on the shared files folder type :

chmod -R 777

this would give read and write permission for all files and folders.

chown -R www-data:www-data

this will change the ownership of that folder from root to apache (www-data)

nevermind. i thought it was linux.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

btw you can try using http instead of https, since https needs ssl certificate to work.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

on the shared files folder type :

chmod -R 777

this would give read and write permission for all files and folders.

chown -R www-data:www-data

this will change the ownership of that folder from root to apache (www-data)

nevermind. i thought it was linux.

Honestly at this point, if you give me a recommended Linux version that you think would work, I’ll throw a spare SSD in the pc and start fresh 

2 minutes ago, G3R489 said:

Honestly at this point, if you give me a recommended Linux version that you think would work, I’ll throw a spare SSD in the pc and start fresh 

no need, you can just run linux with virtual machine (virtualbox or vmware), there's a bunch of tutorial to route the network so it can be accessed from outside your pc.

1. install vmware / virtualbox.

2. get ubuntu LTS server (no gui). install in virtual machine.

3. after install finished, install AMP (apache, mysql and php)

this will be laborious, but for the sake of learning this should be fun. 

you can also install a ready made LAMP package, everything included with bitnami.

https://bitnami.com/stack/lamp/virtual-machine

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

no need, you can just run linux with virtual machine (virtualbox or vmware), there's a bunch of tutorial to route the network so it can be accessed from outside your pc.

1. install vmware / virtualbox.

2. get ubuntu LTS server (no gui). install in virtual machine.

3. after install finished, install AMP (apache, mysql and php)

this will be laborious, but for the sake of learning this should be fun. 

you can also install a ready made LAMP package, everything included with bitnami.

https://bitnami.com/stack/lamp/virtual-machine

Honestly had enough grief with VM’s in the passed (forgetting to enable access to ports) and just want something to work ‘easy’ at the moment (and have a shed load of erased 120gb ssd’s) so will start the install now And tbh the CPU isn’t the best in this old dog I’m doing it on so a VM is just more stress than the PC and I can handle

But thank you so much and for the next few hours I’ll try your method, you’ve been a huge help and have Saved my Sanity today