100% CPU usage *PANIC*

Go to solution Solved by aggressivetjaws,
3 hours ago, unclewebb said:
powercfg setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_PROCESSOR IDLEDISABLE 0
powercfg s SCHEME_CURRENT

You giga brain chad god. Thank you, this fixed it!

Will this be a fix or something I need to run every once in a while?

cpu usage proper.png

Hi Gamers,

I am having problems with my CPU usage and not really sure what is going on. No matter what I close my CPU Usage finds a way to always be using 100% cpu usage. I attached screenshots showing when I just have Task manager open and its using 48%. I recently replaced my paste (old off with rubbing alcohol, paper towels, Qtips) and put new on. I also unplugged and plugged everything back together on my cooler. These are the new temps below I didn't take a temp shot before sorry 😞

My specs are:

MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi Motherboard

i9-10859K @3.60GHz
Kraken x73 360mm Pump
32 GB DDR4 Corsair 3600 MHz
2060 Super 8GB VRAM 
850W Thermal Take Power Supply

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB

Seagate Barracuda SSD 2TB 

I'm thinking it might be power supply but not sure. My pump seems to be working fine as the liquid is at good temps. Just really not sure what is going on been bothering me for a couple of weeks.

cpu usage.png

CoreTemp Screenshot.png

CPU Temps.png

Edited by aggressivetjaws

Thermals would not spike your CPU usage.

Even though you have no 'applications' running, you can see that System is using 47% of your CPU.

Check if you have any Services running in the background that could cause high CPU usage.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

Do you have a HDD in that build? Everything matters, not just the components you listed.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Its hard to tell I took 4 screenshots to show that these change every second, so I can't just pin point it. I also attached a screenshot of System. I Right click System > Go To Details and see this is the only thing taking up the CPU. (Please see screenshots below)

CPU Usage 1.png

CPU Usage 2.png

CPU Usage 3.png

cpu usage 4.png

System Services.png

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Do you have a HDD in that build? Everything matters, not just the components you listed.

I'm not sure that it would matter as the screenshot shows 0% disk usage, so it's not likely waiting on storage, whatever it's doing. 

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

12 minutes ago, Levent said:

No only SSD's
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB

Seagate Barracuda SSD 2TB 

Your CPU is still boosting (it's at 4.8GHz according to CoreTemp), and the thermals are fine. This is not a hardware issue, this is a software issue. Your Windows 10 install is just borked. 

Reinstall Windows, odds are you've got a virus or something and that's just eating up your CPU cycles. A Windows reinstall should fix that. 

44 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I'm not sure that it would matter as the screenshot shows 0% disk usage, so it's not likely waiting on storage, whatever it's doing.

Disk usage may not show if disk is not responding. Which also results in similar "System" using CPU to access files on disk.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

38 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Your CPU is still boosting (it's at 4.8GHz according to CoreTemp), and the thermals are fine. This is not a hardware issue, this is a software issue. Your Windows 10 install is just borked. 

Reinstall Windows, odds are you've got a virus or something and that's just eating up your CPU cycles. A Windows reinstall should fix that. 

I'll try this.

I reinstalled windows not to long ago and it failed and I had to rerun it to get it to work. This was like 3-4 months ago but I just noticed the cpu thing couple of weeks ago. I'll reinstall when I get the time and let you know hopefully you will be here to reply still!

If it is still bad after reinstall I might have to look into a usb of windows 10 and install with that.

20 minutes ago, aggressivetjaws said:

I'll try this.

I reinstalled windows not to long ago and it failed and I had to rerun it to get it to work. This was like 3-4 months ago but I just noticed the cpu thing couple of weeks ago. I'll reinstall when I get the time and let you know hopefully you will be here to reply still!

If it is still bad after reinstall I might have to look into a usb of windows 10 and install with that.

i've seen issues like this from bad updates too.. if possible try to uninstall feature pack or major updates from microsoft. 

@aggressivetjaws

A Windows power plan setting that disables all of the C states is what causes this problem. 

If you run ThrottleStop, you will probably see that when idle, your CPU is spending 100.0% of its time in the C0 state.

image.png.ab6c5305dc9512ddd164529d752f15b7.png

Most CPU cores should enter the C1 state or a deeper low power C state when they have nothing to do. 

To fix this problem, open a command window with Admin privileges and enter these commands.

After doing that, power consumption and idle temperatures will drop like a rock and the Task Manager Processes tab will not report 100% anymore. Enabling the C states allows a 10850K to drop over 120W and 30°C almost instantly. Everything else is exactly the same as the first screenshot. 

image.png.a2b77e690b99773faff2a02fb631df34.png

If this does not solve your problem, open up Power Options and press the "Restore plan defaults" button. Hopefully that will fix the hidden power plan settings. 

image.png.58aa782c1e9809508e782a8f5f553bcb.png

Check to see if you are running the latest BIOS version. Avoid using any MSI control software. 

3 hours ago, unclewebb said:

You giga brain chad god. Thank you, this fixed it!

cpu usage proper.png

2 hours ago, aggressivetjaws said:

Some software on your computer decided to set IDLEDISABLE to 1. The big question is; what program did this and when did this happen? It could happen again. At least now you know how to fix this issue without having to reinstall Windows.   

Do you remember installing any software that promised to improve your FPS? Disabling all of the C states does reduce latency and it might improve your FPS and your SSD benchmark scores. This trick sounds like a good idea until you see the huge increase in idle power consumption and heat.   

When IDLEDISABLE is set to 1, it tells the CPU that you do not want to use any of the low power C states. Using the powercfg command to set this back to the Windows default value of 0 fixes this problem. If you hate the low power C states, I can understand disabling core C3, C6 and C7 but I would avoid disabling C1. The tiny performance improvement is rarely worth the extra power consumption and heat.  

If you cannot remember recently installing any game improvement software, it might be a BIOS issue. Check the MSI website and make sure you are running the latest BIOS version.

If you want to improve your full load temperatures, go into the BIOS and set a negative offset voltage of approximately -50 mV. The default voltage curve for the 10850K tends to be on the high side. You can undervolt most Intel CPUs -50 mV and still be 100% stable. Less voltage equals less power consumption and less heat. 

I disagree with NZXT claiming that NZXT Cam is, "The Best Gaming PC Monitoring App". Compared to most other monitoring software, NZXT Cam under reports the peak CPU temperature. 

image.png.939a2c114774a7883939fb1611657490.png

The other problem is NZXT Cam does not accurately report the CPU MHz when an Intel CPU is power limit throttling.

image.png.eb1aa9cdd9eb025ba9fe44ef810f83b9.png

22 hours ago, unclewebb said:
On 5/4/2022 at 4:52 PM, aggressivetjaws said:

Some software on your computer decided to set IDLEDISABLE to 1. The big question is; what program did this and when did this happen? It could happen again. At least now you know how to fix this issue without having to reinstall Windows.   

Do you remember installing any software that promised to improve your FPS? Disabling all of the C states does reduce latency and it might improve your FPS and your SSD benchmark scores. This trick sounds like a good idea until you see the huge increase in idle power consumption and heat.   

When IDLEDISABLE is set to 1, it tells the CPU that you do not want to use any of the low power C states. Using the powercfg command to set this back to the Windows default value of 0 fixes this problem. If you hate the low power C states, I can understand disabling core C3, C6 and C7 but I would avoid disabling C1. The tiny performance improvement is rarely worth the extra power consumption and heat.  

If you cannot remember recently installing any game improvement software, it might be a BIOS issue. Check the MSI website and make sure you are running the latest BIOS version.

If you want to improve your full load temperatures, go into the BIOS and set a negative offset voltage of approximately -50 mV. The default voltage curve for the 10850K tends to be on the high side. You can undervolt most Intel CPUs -50 mV and still be 100% stable. Less voltage equals less power consumption and less heat. 

I disagree with NZXT claiming that NZXT Cam is, "The Best Gaming PC Monitoring App". Compared to most other monitoring software, NZXT Cam under reports the peak CPU temperature.

I honestly noticed it when I was playing elden ring and my computer was really hot.
I didn't install any software onto my computer that monitors hardware until I noticed elden ring issues.
The only game improvement software is Nvidia that updates my graphics driver

It might be a bios issue, I mean I never noticed it until elden ring.
- I don't have a wimpy computer so but I don't run too entensive games besides elden ring. Because the fans where loud as hell

I also agree that NZXT Cam is not accurate I just wanted to download something to look at my stuff.