Inconsistent performance from new GPU

c3524

Hi all,

I got my 6600 xt a few weeks ago. I have been noticing some really inconsistent performance from it and was hoping that i can find a solution here.

When i am playing Apex, i use all max settings but sometimes getting consistent smooth180 fps, and most of the other time inconsistent and stuttering 110 fps. I have tried freesync on and off. I have used gaming mode and oc mode from the Asus software, but with no performance benefits. According to the amd website i should be able to get 180 fps on apex. I have done a user benchmark test but it doesn't even recognise that i have a gpu or SSD, which it did with my previous 6600. I am using a Wi-Fi set up, and receive about 20 ms of ping with 53 mbps download and 18 mbps upload.

Not only is it in games but also with general use it is sometimes slow to open applications and also sometimes struggles using hardly any applications open. I am using the reset button on my case as sometimes it does not respond. I also often get a notification from amd saying 'Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure'.

CPU temp stays around 50-55 under load

GPU Temp around 60 with junction temp 70 - 75 under load.

Any help would be great! Specs below.

Thanks.

System specs:

GPU: Asus Dual OC 6600 xt

CPU: i5 11400

RAM: 16gb Corsair LPX 3200 cl 16 using xmp at 3200 mhz

Motherboard: Asrock B560m Pro 4 a/c

PSU: Corsair CX550M

SSD: Crucial P2 500gb

I’m wondering if you maybe have something else running in the background eating processor cycles.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I’m wondering if you maybe have something else running in the background eating processor cycles.

I do have a lot of processes running, about background 105 +  95 windows processes, but the majority are using pretty much nothing. Its about 10% on my CPU and 40% on my RAM when idle. Is this too much?

5 hours ago, c3524 said:

I do have a lot of processes running, about background 105 +  95 windows processes, but the majority are using pretty much nothing. Its about 10% on my CPU and 40% on my RAM when idle. Is this too much?

It’s about triple what I normally see on idle.  My machine is older though and my startup software will be different.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s about triple what I normally see on idle.  My machine is older though and my startup software will be different.

Oh ok. I have tried using Asus' gaming booster software which cuts it the processes down by about 40, but i still don't get any boost in performance. Do you think this could have something to do with the gpu or could it possibly be something else in my system?

6 hours ago, c3524 said:

Oh ok. I have tried using Asus' gaming booster software which cuts it the processes down by about 40, but i still don't get any boost in performance. Do you think this could have something to do with the gpu or could it possibly be something else in my system?

I don’t know.  I’ve never heard of that before

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know.  I’ve never heard of that before

Yeah it's a bit strange. Thankyou for your help anyway, i really appreciate it. I might do a few more tests, and maybe try an ethernet cable when i get one. Hopefully i can get it fixed soon.

Cheers.