The sad state of GPUs

r01100011

I was going through my NewEgg order history...and I stumbled across this -

image.thumb.png.92ad36d0c40b64c152b0e1f24686847a.png

Gosh those were the days when I could log into NewEgg (or Amazon) and take my pick between different types of GPUs, and pretty much the top of the line GPU can be purchases for around $700.

I also wrote this piece back then when NewEgg's service was also pretty damn good - https://www.blogbytes.net/2018/01/purchased-detuned-evga-gtx-1080-ti-by.html

The idea of having the choice between models, manufacturers seems like something in a bygone era. I know GPUs are more readily available now, but damn, I wish we could return to those times when Crypto currency mining was a niche hobby, and GPUs are primarily for gamers.

Well i remembered the top of the line voodoo cards only cost like $299, which they struggled to sell, eventually reduced to $199. 😅

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

So you have been sleeping for the past 1.5 years? The prices are coming down and availability is getting better. But it will be slow and not overnight. Imo $700 for flagship anything is too much when midrange is at $250. This applies to GPUs, CPUs and phones.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

Well i remembered the top of the line voodoo cards only cost like $299, which they struggled to sell, eventually reduced to $199. 😅

I never owned a Voodoo card. My friend owned a Voodoo 3d fx. That was the talk of the town back then. The most I could do was a 32MB of onboard memory that struggled to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

My first ever GPU wass Inno 3d GeForce 2MX, which was purchased for 2400 INR back in 2002

7 hours ago, r01100011 said:

I never owned a Voodoo card. My friend owned a Voodoo 3d fx. That was the talk of the town back then. The most I could do was a 32MB of onboard memory that struggled to play Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

My first ever GPU wass Inno 3d GeForce 2MX, which was purchased for 2400 INR back in 2002

i got voodoo banshee, i kept it including the retail box.

back then there are many brands to choose, the fight is fierce.

matrox, ati, nvidia, s3 and 3dlabs.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

22 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

i got voodoo banshee, i kept it including the retail box.

back then there are many brands to choose, the fight is fierce.

matrox, ati, nvidia, s3 and 3dlabs.

Do you have a legacy gaming computer or something like that? I definitely want to build one. Like a Windows XP machine or something.

8 hours ago, r01100011 said:

Do you have a legacy gaming computer or something like that? I definitely want to build one. Like a Windows XP machine or something.

Yeah i still got a k6-iii, but i havent touch it in like 15 years, cant find a psu for it.