HBA upgrade and unraid

Liam Ianto

Hello.

I have a NAS server that I've built which doubles up for plex and my cloud services and all that. I have an LSI HBA card with 2 SAS connectors feeding 8 ironwolf drives. I'm looking to up my storage some more. If I swap out the HBA to one capable of having 16 drives on, will unraid still recognise the old array with those original 8 drives plugged into a new HBA? I've had issue in the past where I've moved drives between onboard SATA and add in cards where operating systems have a hard time figuring out what to do with them. 

I thought best to ask the question before I pull the trigger and do the upgrade. I really don't fancy having to build a new array with 16 new drives just to move my data across from the old one.

Many thanks.

from my experience unraid doesnt give a darn, as long as the drive's UID remains the same.

worst case you may have to point unraid back to the original drives. one thing to keep in mind is to keep your drives connected in the same order, that helps a lot with the os keeping sense of drives, but i've even had array drives in a usb adapter before, with no issues.

Once my bits arrive, I'll try swapping the current array over and starting it before adding the new drives.

Would you have any idea why I see terrible write speeds between an onboard sata and a drive on my LSI HBA? The drives generally have a write speed of about 250mb/s when copying from one to another but when taking something off a sata drive its usually around 1-2mb/s, very strange.