Price Comparison: DDR4 Now + Upgrading Later vs DDR5 Now

Budget (including currency): 2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming Warzone, Fortnite, Skyrim 1080p 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am trying to figure out if it will be money saved in the long run if I buy ddr5 now since I want to upgrade in the future. 

Since if I pay for ddr4 now, ill have to buy a new motherboard and ram anyway. 

So does it makes sense to buy ddr5 now and 1 motherboard and 1 set of ram rather than 2 of each? 

Nah just get ddr4, most ordinary 3200 cl16/3600 cl18 bin performs the same or better than garbage first gen ddr5, not even mentioning ocing rams like ballistix or samsung b die if oced 4500+ will comletely obliterate ddr5

By the time you swap to a ddr5 platform itd prob have matured enough to beat ddr4 in a couple years

Ive seen quite alot of cases where ppl need to go buy new ddr4 cause theyre old 2400 ddr4 isnt cutting it

And it's not like RAM speed is where games are getting hung up.  By no means should anyone buy DDR3 in 2022, but gaming on it is actually still ok in most cases.  And the speed advances from DDR3 to DDR4 were the largest we've seen in modern times.  CPUs don't really NEED anything faster yet, and games don't even really need CPUs this fast.  They just are because they can be.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, Queen Chrysalis said:

And it's not like RAM speed is where games are getting hung up.  By no means should anyone buy DDR3 in 2022, but gaming on it is actually still ok in most cases.  And the speed advances from DDR3 to DDR4 were the largest we've seen in modern times.  CPUs don't really NEED anything faster yet, and games don't even really need CPUs this fast.  They just are because they can be.  

Thanks for taking the time to share, this really helps and will save me some money too. 

get the DDR4 now and upgrade later, there's no point going DDR5 for now because their performance sucks for the price

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"
If my comment helped you please mark it as solution. Refresh before you reply, I edit comments often.

Current PC Spec
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk
RAM: XPG D10 White 2x8GB 3200 CL16
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC
Storages: 1x512GB Intel 760P M.2 NVME(boot drive)
1x2TB Umax M1500 Gen4 M.2 NVME(Game storage)
1x1TB Adata SU800 Ultiamte 2.5 inch Sata3 SSD(Game storage)
1x3TB Toshiba 7200RPM CMR drive
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
Keyboard: Ducky Zero 3108 Cherry MX red
Mouse: Logitech G603 LightSpeed
Headphone: Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
Microphone: AVerMedia AM310
Flight stick: Thrustmaster T16000M FCS 3 pack

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Value: $308
  • Games owned: 229
  • Games played: 163 (71%)