3070TI Causing interference with 5G Wi-Fi??

JMiller0219

Hey all, I'm having a strange issue with my 5g wifi connection that only started after installing a 3070TI.

I originally had an EVGA branded 1070TI that worked great and I had no issues with the setup, worked great for years. Recently I upgraded to an MSI Ventus 3070TI and it started out fine, but over time my connection with 5g wifi has deteriorated from immediately connecting on system startup, to needing to reboot the router on system startup in order for 5g to work, to the 5g connection being a hidden network on the PC and unable to connect to it all, despite my phone being connected to it right in front of the computer. I have done the whole slough of internet troubleshooting and testing to no avail. started with my original wifi card, tried an old sub dongle I had that works on other systems. I even bought another wifi dongle that had a 3 ft usb hub so I could place its antenna away from the box. nothing worked. So on a whim I pulled the 3070ti out and put the 1070ti back in and voila, 5g shows up and connects right away.

I've been in the process of making a completely new build for work, all new parts and PSU. After putting it together with the 1070TI, 5g internet works fine with the onboard wifi and with a dongle and with the wifi card from t he old system. Swapped in the 3070ti in and the 5g connection disappeared and can't connect. Won't work with onboard wifi, usb dongle, or wifi card.

Has anyone ever seen this happen in the past? Could it be some strange interference block out the 5g on the computers? I've never seen this before and am at a loss.

Perhaps try reinstalling the drivers and updating your BIOS

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

I've reinstalled both network drivers and graphics drivers. The new computer I built had the most up to date bios on the motherboard. The old computer did work for a time and then deteriorated to nothing wifi wise over the course of 3 weeks, with no change to the system otherwise, not even a windows update during that time. surely if the bios was the issue on it it would have been broken from the start with the new graphics card installed?

I assume the antennas are on the back of the PC?  You could try one that uses a cable to move them from the back to the front, away from anything that can block or interfere.

Of course if this is interference it could be happening inside the PC, but generally reception is better with that kind of antenna anyway so I'd always advise it regardless.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I assume the antennas are on the back of the PC?  You could try one that uses a cable to move them from the back to the front, away from anything that can block or interfere.

Of course if this is interference it could be happening inside the PC, but generally reception is better with that kind of antenna anyway so I'd always advise it regardless.

one of my networking tests was to use a usb wifi dongle. its that asus one that has an optional 3ft cable hub. Having the dongle plugged directly into the case or having it plugged into the hub with the 3ft cable both had the same effect, 2.4g connection was being seen but 5g connection was hidden and couldn't be connected to.

Edit: That being said I think I do have an old antenna setup that could allow me plug into the antenna connectors on the motherboard and/or wifi card and extend it further away the case. I'll try that and see what results it gives me.

Edit2: Extended antenna cables had no effect...

3 hours ago, JMiller0219 said:

one of my networking tests was to use a usb wifi dongle. its that asus one that has an optional 3ft cable hub. Having the dongle plugged directly into the case or having it plugged into the hub with the 3ft cable both had the same effect, 2.4g connection was being seen but 5g connection was hidden and couldn't be connected to.

Edit: That being said I think I do have an old antenna setup that could allow me plug into the antenna connectors on the motherboard and/or wifi card and extend it further away the case. I'll try that and see what results it gives me.

Edit2: Extended antenna cables had no effect...

Yeah its a weird one, given the hidden network thing I didn't think that was the issue but was worth a try.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7