Looking for a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard replacement

Consoledotlog

So I got the Microsoft ergonomic keyboard a few years ago for office use and have actually really liked it... except for bluetooth, I've have problems pretty much since the beginning. Also the "alcantara" wrist rest is pretty gross by now.

I'm looking to spend a bit and get something nice that'll last another number of years. I could be swayed into mechanical but the pricing still seems a bit high... idk, I don't think I'll get into hot swapping and key cap customization any time soon. I'm good spending upwards of $120-$150 to do it right, I spent a bunch on the M.E. and again have been pretty happy. 

I'm looking for something:

- full size (or atleast numpad for office)

- low profile

- 2.4ghz wireless (bonus points for additionally plugin)

- for windows

- okay moving away from 'ergonomic' I think

If you want something high quality, mechanical but doesn't require building and comes fully assembled, take a look at Keychron. 

https://www.keychron.com/

Lots of options. The K10 is under $100 with an aluminum frame and fully assembled with your choice of switch and backlight options.

Ok yeah Keychron is looking pretty good thanks. On the K3 v2, do the low profile keychron opticals & mechanical gaterons act pretty much the same in terms of feel and sound? I thinking of doing the optical since it would still be possible to switch out in the future.... I'll probably just have to go with a generic numpad since the full-size ultra-slim keychrons are out of stock

17 minutes ago, Consoledotlog said:

Ok yeah Keychron is looking pretty good thanks. On the K3 v2, do the low profile keychron opticals & mechanical gaterons act pretty much the same in terms of feel and sound? I thinking of doing the optical since it would still be possible to switch out in the future.... I'll probably just have to go with a generic numpad since the full-size ultra-slim keychrons are out of stock

I would look at this to make a determination. It seems there are some slight differences in accuation force and pre/total travel distances but it's likely one of those things that if you didn't have experience with both, you'll never know the difference. What would concern me more is the opticals don't appear to be available in Brown's which concerns me personally since I prefer a tactile switch vs. linear's or clickys. Huge personal preference thing there.

image.thumb.png.255301cacd7dda56b74f6d55cb5caf6f.png

Ah true I forgot to look at the graph lol, thanks! Now to decide for sure on the setup, kinda sucks that their return policy is so strict... otherwise I'd feel a bit better about just going for one since I don't feel like paying return shipping just in the case that I wanted a different gatheron mechanical switch later etc

If you are willing to spend more and sacrifice bt: Kinesis Advantage 2 and ZSA Moonlander (I’m only familiar with these).

On 4/18/2022 at 6:29 PM, Consoledotlog said:

I'm looking to spend a bit and get something nice that'll last another number of years. I could be swayed into mechanical but the pricing still seems a bit high... idk, I don't think I'll get into hot swapping and key cap customization any time soon. I'm good spending upwards of $120-$150 to do it right, I spent a bunch on the M.E. and again have been pretty happy. 

I'm looking for something:

- full size (or atleast numpad for office)

- low profile

- 2.4ghz wireless (bonus points for additionally plugin)

I know that they are not what you are looking for atm, however I had almost the same criteria as you do and I’m in love with both of them.

I was happily using Apple Magic Wireless w/NumPad for years. Slim/low profile is awesome; satisfying low noise, little play and short travel buttons.

Developed bad typing posture and sore back/shoulders at some point, so finally decided to find a solution last year - split/ergo kb.

Advantage 2 - better ergo cause wrist caves.

Moonlander - better customizability and true split.

NumPad is on a different layer (both)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 3:29 AM, rikitikitavi said:

If you are willing to spend more and sacrifice bt: Kinesis Advantage 2 and ZSA Moonlander (I’m only familiar with these).

I know that they are not what you are looking for atm, however I had almost the same criteria as you do and I’m in love with both of them.

I was happily using Apple Magic Wireless w/NumPad for years. Slim/low profile is awesome; satisfying low noise, little play and short travel buttons.

Developed bad typing posture and sore back/shoulders at some point, so finally decided to find a solution last year - split/ergo kb.

Advantage 2 - better ergo cause wrist caves.

Moonlander - better customizability and true split.

NumPad is on a different layer (both)

Apologies @rikitikitavimeant to reply sooner, like you mentioned those weren't quite what I was looking for but I do remember seeing the moonlander before in reviews, but who knows maybe it'll be an advantage to use a moonlander in the future. 😉 I did end up going with the keychron k3 with optical browns, and just wow... never felt a mechanical keyboard before and this is something else! Just a couple minutes and I'm hooked and can say I get why people really like mechanicals in general. Thanks much for the advice, I'm pretty happy with it already