RAID 0, w/ gen 3 and 4 PCIE

709grows

Been lurking on the site for years, and a subscriber for almost a decade. This is my first forum post haha.  

So my motherboard has two m.2 drive slots. One is Gen 4 and the other Gen 3. My curiosity question here is if I use RAID 0 what will be the effect on the speed. I currently have a 980 pro in my gen 4 slot. Picking up a 970 this week for the gen 3. Would raid be a good idea in this situation?

Thx

4 minutes ago, 709grows said:

Would raid be a good idea in this situation?

Not likely. NVMe RAID has so many problems, and the effective speed might be limited to the bandwidth allotted to the chipset, and there's extra latency because of that (that's how it works on most platforms I'm aware of). 

If you do software RAID, you'll probably end up with CPU bottlenecks doing whatever you're doing before you make full advantage of the speeds if it even takes advantage of it in the first place. 

Basically, if you're ding it for performance reasons, don't, you'll probably run into more issues that it's worth. If you're doing it because you need more capacity and don't feel like dealing with two separate file locations, maybe, but it's still probably more headache than its worth.

11 minutes ago, 709grows said:

Been lurking on the site for years, and a subscriber for almost a decade. This is my first forum post haha.  

So my motherboard has two m.2 drive slots. One is Gen 4 and the other Gen 3. My curiosity question here is if I use RAID 0 what will be the effect on the speed. I currently have a 980 pro in my gen 4 slot. Picking up a 970 this week for the gen 3. Would raid be a good idea in this situation?

Thx

Raid 0 is pretty pointless for drives on consumer stuff

Aside from what @RONOTHAN## said, RAID0 also doubles your risk of data loss. If either one of your drives goes bad, your data on both of them is gone. You basically get no advantage from NVMe in RAID0, but simply increase your risk of failure.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Thx. The reason being I dual boot Manjaro and Windows. Didn't want one OS to be faster than the other. Windows for games and Manjaro for everything else; editing, streaming, browsing etc.

5 minutes ago, 709grows said:

Thx. The reason being I dual boot Manjaro and Windows. Didn't want one OS to be faster than the other. Windows for games and Manjaro for everything else; editing, streaming, browsing etc.

NVME RAID is stupid, don't do it.

Gen 3 is so fast it's stupid to worry about speeds unless you're literally copying 10GB files on the reg.

Demonstration:  Tonight I moved a 700MB file from one NVME Drive to a second.  The first was a Gen 3 drive.  Second is Gen 4, but has no cache.  

Windows didn't even get to open the file transfer dialog box before it was done.  It just "finished" that quickly.

1 minute ago, 709grows said:

You're unlikely to notice the speed difference between a PCIe 4.0 and 3.0 NVMe in everyday operation. You'll be able to notice when copying large files or doing anything else restricted by storage speed, but in pretty much every other case the difference isn't going to be that noticeable.

You could install both operating systems on the PCIe 4.0, then split the PCIe 3.0 as a storage drive between both.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

8 hours ago, 709grows said:

There are many other things that will make one os faster than the other without having to worry about gen 3 vs gen 4. The way Linux and windows operate are too different.