RTX 3080 at idle has temps at 60 degrees C

c00face
Go to solution Solved by c00face,
1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you checked what clock rate its idling at?  I wonder if its not going as low as it was before.

I notice my PCs idle power consumption had rocketed recently and thanks to your post I discovered my 3080 is idling at 1710Mhz and checking earlier posts on this forum, this would cause it.   I Googled and saw mention that G-SYNC can cause this and I recently upgraded my TV, but turning off G-SYNC doesn't fix it for me.  Although its still idling at 45C in a 21C room, that idle power consumption is a BIG deal as its about 120W more than usual, that's enough to power my entire NAS.

I also tried changing Power management mode back to Normal from Prefer Maximum Performance, didn't do anything either. 

There is also mention that RTX Voice / Broadcast running will do this as it keeps the Tensor cores constantly active even when not in use, but I don't have that installed.

So I'm with you trying to figure this out.

Found the answer. Thanks for the heads up on checking clock rate at idle. I ran DDU in safemode and reinstalled the drivers. It fixed the issue. Apparently this is an on-going issue with nVidia and some people bypass the issue with installing studio driver instead of the game ready driver. The bug causes your GPU to clock at 1750mhz and memory clock at 9550 mhz at idle. I would address this issue as soon as you can so it doesn't kill your graphics card.

image.png.b81e6dfd0f3268cc68c5b7307111bb7d.png

image.png.616ddfc3210be6e759cb287373f37681.png

29 degrees C at idle for GPU.

This was never a problem when I first built my PC. Idle temps were around 30 degrees C. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but idle temps for the RTX 3080 now is sitting at 60 degrees C when I turn on the PC. I adjusted the fan curve to be a bit more aggressive and idle is around 41 degrees C. Something is totally off and I'm not sure what it is. Running games will ramp up the temps to above 70 degrees C and it gets hot fast and starts to heat up the room quickly. Is it a new setting pushed out by nVidia?

*Also to note, this temp on the GPU is with the GPU underclocked at -300mhz. Meaning, with underclocking, it's getting 60 degrees C at idle.

Your card is probably targeting higher target temperature. If you card is not throttling, I wouldnt worry about it. If you are worried set a custom fan curve with MSI afterburner (which you did)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Gaming temps at 70-75C are normal on an aircooled  3080 if it's not a top tier model

But your idle temps are high, maybe your case is hot inside ?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

36 minutes ago, c00face said:

This was never a problem when I first built my PC. Idle temps were around 30 degrees C. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but idle temps for the RTX 3080 now is sitting at 60 degrees C when I turn on the PC. I adjusted the fan curve to be a bit more aggressive and idle is around 41 degrees C. Something is totally off and I'm not sure what it is. Running games will ramp up the temps to above 70 degrees C and it gets hot fast and starts to heat up the room quickly. Is it a new setting pushed out by nVidia?

*Also to note, this temp on the GPU is with the GPU underclocked at -300mhz. Meaning, with underclocking, it's getting 60 degrees C at idle.

Have you checked what clock rate its idling at?  I wonder if its not going as low as it was before.

I notice my PCs idle power consumption had rocketed recently and thanks to your post I discovered my 3080 is idling at 1710Mhz and checking earlier posts on this forum, this would cause it.   I Googled and saw mention that G-SYNC can cause this and I recently upgraded my TV, but turning off G-SYNC doesn't fix it for me.  Although its still idling at 45C in a 21C room, that idle power consumption is a BIG deal as its about 120W more than usual, that's enough to power my entire NAS.

I also tried changing Power management mode back to Normal from Prefer Maximum Performance, didn't do anything either. 

There is also mention that RTX Voice / Broadcast running will do this as it keeps the Tensor cores constantly active even when not in use, but I don't have that installed.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I notice mine started idling at 1710Mhz when I upgraded to a G-SYNC compatible TV recently.  This seems to be a common problem when using G-SYNC and its pretty annoying as it increases my PCs idle power consumption by about 150W. Although its still idling at 45C in a 21C room.

Although I just tried disabling G-SYNC and it made no difference.  Darn, this is annoying.

No I haven't checked my idle clock rate. What software are you using to see clock rate at idel?

4 minutes ago, c00face said:

No I haven't checked my idle clock rate. What software are you using to see clock rate at idel?

MSI Afterburner.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

8 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

MSI Afterburner.

I just checked using hwinfo. youre right, the gpu is sitting at 1750 mhz at idle. this was never the case before where i was sitting at 300 - 500 mhz at idle. that explains the massive increase in heat. there has to be some update that caused this, (i am making educated guess)

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Found the answer. Thanks for the heads up on checking clock rate at idle. I ran DDU in safemode and reinstalled the drivers. It fixed the issue. Apparently this is an on-going issue with nVidia and some people bypass the issue with installing studio driver instead of the game ready driver. The bug causes your GPU to clock at 1750mhz and memory clock at 9550 mhz at idle. I would address this issue as soon as you can so it doesn't kill your graphics card.

1 hour ago, c00face said:

It wont kill the GPU, down-clocking is entirely about power saving.  Its actually more healthy for a GPU to stay at a consistent temperature.

On 4/15/2022 at 5:27 PM, c00face said:

What is your Power Management Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Because that exact issue I only experienced on 30 series cards when the Power Management Mode is set to prefer maximum performance. On normal that doesn't happen.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

14 hours ago, Montana One-Six said:

What is your Power Management Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Because that exact issue I only experienced on 30 series cards when the Power Management Mode is set to prefer maximum performance. On normal that doesn't happen.

I changed it to normal to see if that'll fix the issue, but it didn't. Only when I uninstalled using DDU and reinstall new driver did it fix the issue.

• 9 months later...
On 4/16/2022 at 12:15 AM, c00face said:

I noticed my 3080 to was now idling at 59 so I went into safe mode got rid of drivers/reinstalled and it went back down to 40-45, the next day it was fine and after opening nvidia control panel I noticed it went back to 59 again. 

Today I formatted/re installed win 10 and so far it is back to 40-45 idle, not sure what is causing the jump but an extra 15-19 degrees for no reason is not on nvidia.

Edited by Clemenator
fix spelling mistake

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I gotta say thanks. My 3080 was idling at 65 for some reason, was trying to figure it out. Tried to reconfig my fan curves in MSIAB and undervolting. Only helped temps under load. Then, I reinstalled my game driver on GeForce Experience and my idle temps instantly dropped to 40-50.