Going from 60mbps to 300mbps FTTH internet for my home, am I ready?

maestro_it

I currently have a 60 down/5 up mbps VDSL line for my home internet, connected to:

• AVM Fritz!Box 7490 VDSL modem (German brand of modems with VOIP built-in)
  • 16 port basic Gigabit switch
  • Unifi UAP-AC-LR Access Point
  • QNap 1 bay NAS drive
  • Asus PN50 (AMD Ryzen 4300) mini server with OpenMediaVault for plex/docker/development servers

All my computers and devices are connected with 1 gigabit connections, and wireless is provided over the Unifi 5GHz network. According to my local testing most of the devices are capable to reach my local network with speeds above 300-400mbps, I've done the testing with the LibreSpeed speedtest docker image (a locally hosted speedtest server to test your local network internally). My S21 Ultra smartphone can connect to my local network at around 400-500mbps, my 7 years old workstation laptop can connect with around 300mbps, gaming PC with wired gigabit can easily surpass 900mbps.

In around a week I will be getting a fiber FTTH connection of 300mbps, are there any changes I should make, or things I should add to my network to have a better high-speed experience?

I want to benefit from the new high speed for online gaming, 4k streaming and most important have some reliable online backup for my home workstation, I currently do local backups on the NAS and removable HDD which are always at risk.

Computer: AMD 5900x | PNY RTX 4080 | 32GB DDR4-3600 GSkill Neo | Corsair RM750x

Monitor : Dell 27" 1440@165Hz (S2721DGFA)

Not sure if you will be using the Fritz!Box as a router still, but a quick Googling suggests its likely fast enough to do so.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

58 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not sure if you will be using the Fritz!Box as a router still, but a quick Googling suggests its likely fast enough to do so.

They said they will bring the ftth modem, but anyway my Fritz can repurpose one of the gigabit ports to be a WAN port which I can use for the fiber modem.

I need t keep using the FritzBox for VOIP and VPN, maybe I will need to enable DMZ or exposed client feature on the fiber modem to redirect everything to the FritzBox local IP which will act as a firewall.

Computer: AMD 5900x | PNY RTX 4080 | 32GB DDR4-3600 GSkill Neo | Corsair RM750x

Monitor : Dell 27" 1440@165Hz (S2721DGFA)

1 hour ago, maestro_it said:

They said they will bring the ftth modem, but anyway my Fritz can repurpose one of the gigabit ports to be a WAN port which I can use for the fiber modem.

I need t keep using the FritzBox for VOIP and VPN, maybe I will need to enable DMZ or exposed client feature on the fiber modem to redirect everything to the FritzBox local IP which will act as a firewall.

Depends if they bring a modem or router.  If its a router it still might support bridge mode which effectively turns it into a modem.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

If what you're getting is anything like FiOS (FTTH), what they're bringing you is likely just a router. The terminology gets confused quite often. With FiOS, there is the ONT (in my case, its in a close) then I run ethernet out to my router. When it was installed, that was their Verizon router but I've just replaced it with my own. 

This is unlike cable internet where you have a "modem" and a "router" or a combo unit. If you're getting eithernet out of the ONT, you just need a router, there is no traditional "modem". 

6 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

his is unlike cable internet where you have a "modem" and a "router" or a combo unit.

FIOS is kinda doing its own thing. Most Fiber based ISP's do a ONT router combo. AT&T is a good example of this. However from the many posts I have read from people around the world, the Combo ONT/Router seems to be the going standard around the world. 

8 hours ago, maestro_it said:

but anyway my Fritz can repurpose one of the gigabit ports to be a WAN port which I can use for the fiber modem.

You need to be sure they are giving your a modem and not a combo unit. Most ISP's do combo units. Not all providers support bridge mode or pass thru mode. So there is a chance you wont be able to use your current router as a router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.