New PC upload connection issues

Fedecolov
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
11 hours ago, Fedecolov said:

Could it really have been the cFos app? I would have never spotted it if not for Glasswire. Do you think it's wise to uninstall MSI Center too, at this point? I really don't use it for anything (Mystic light was underwhelming to say the least).

cFos is definitely likely.  It advertises itself as improving speed and latency, that sort of thing can easily end up doing the complete opposite.  In fact its an oxymoron, as you improve latency by limiting speed, you can't improve both at the same time.

Hi guys, I need help, don't know where to look anymore.

I recently built a new gaming rig, but I'm having a weird issue with the connection's upload. At first I thought it was a wifi problem, so I bought a Powerline adapter (1000 Mbs port) and connected with a Lan cable, but still, no changes.

My download speed is in line with the rest of my devices, but the upload is, well, crap. It ranges from 0.6 and 1.2 Mbps, while on the rest of the house I range from 8 to 10 Mbps.

Since it doesn't change from cable to wifi, I guess it's a Mobo issue, but all my drivers and bios are updated (at least those I could find). Here are my specs:

Mobo: MSI pro z690-p ddr4 (non-wifi)

CPU: Intel i5 12600K

Ram: Corsair vengeance DDR4 2x8GB 3600Mhz

GPU: Palit Nvidia RTX 3060Ti

PSU: Corsair RM750W

I really don't know where else to look. I hope some of you can help me.

Federico

1 minute ago, Fedecolov said:

Hi guys, I need help, don't know where to look anymore.

I recently built a new gaming rig, but I'm having a weird issue with the connection's upload. At first I thought it was a wifi problem, so I bought a Powerline adapter (1000 Mbs port) and connected with a Lan cable, but still, no changes.

My download speed is in line with the rest of my devices, but the upload is, well, crap. It ranges from 0.6 and 1.2 Mbps, while on the rest of the house I range from 8 to 10 Mbps.

Since it doesn't change from cable to wifi, I guess it's a Mobo issue, but all my drivers and bios are updated (at least those I could find). Here are my specs:

Mobo: MSI pro z690-p ddr4 (non-wifi)

CPU: Intel i5 12600K

Ram: Corsair vengeance DDR4 2x8GB 3600Mhz

GPU: Palit Nvidia RTX 3060Ti

PSU: Corsair RM750W

I really don't know where else to look. I hope some of you can help me.

Federico

Have you downloaded any of MSI's software or anything from your motherboards page on MSI's site? 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

1 minute ago, Ryan829 said:

Have you downloaded any of MSI's software or anything from your motherboards page on MSI's site? 

Yes, I first installed the drivers from the DVD, but then out of desperation I also installed all the new drivers from the MSI page

1 hour ago, Fedecolov said:

Yes, I first installed the drivers from the DVD, but then out of desperation I also installed all the new drivers from the MSI page

I think he was referring to software not drivers, like programs that manage pc performance. ASUS for example has the Armory Crate. not sure what MSI's software is called.

what was your upload test methodology?

I imagine you used the same methodology for all the devices you tested, if not please spare no detail.

Ah ok, then no, no softwares were downloaded, and honestly I don't even know if there is any. I always tested with the same method for all devices, both on wifi and on LAN. I used Ookla's Speedtest.

If it can be of any help, via the MSI Center (I downloaded it for Mystic Light, but has other functions such as connection speed test, I was redirected to cFos Speed Test, which gave this results:

RX (Download) speed: 
15490.02 Kbits/s
(1936.25 Kbytes/s)
TX (Upload) speed:
640.04 Kbits/s
(80.01 Kbytes/s)
Response time:
54.2 ms
Test size: 
12.9 Mbytes

As you can see, they are both low but upload is horrible. Ookla's Speedtest gives this result:

PING ms

DOWNLOAD Mbps

UPLOAD Mbps

this is weird, how did you connect to WiFi (as in a usb or PCIe card?)

Have you tried linux?

also, try monitoring your network usage just in case (using task manager or Glasswire), to see if there's a background process that's hogging your upload.

I used a USB antenna, but nothing has changed with the cabled connection. Moreover, the antenna works just fine with another PC and the same connection.

I have not tried Linux and would like not to, just for the fuss of installing it. If needed I will though.

Next time I will use the PC, I will give a look to network usage.

I also have updated to windows 11 and it has improved a bit (now I range around 2 Mbps upload), but it's still 1/4 if not more of all the other devices in the house, both cabled and on wifi. 

It is a weird thing, and I believe it's a problem with some software or with the Mobo itself. I have no idea how to solve it though... 

2 hours ago, Fedecolov said:

I have not tried Linux and would like not to, just for the fuss of installing it. If needed I will though.

That's the beauty of Linux, you don't need to install it, just pick a version that has a LiveUSB version.  Write it to a USB stick and boot it directly, that's enough to test if you have the same problem there.  Its generally a good test as Windows has some really weird random networking issues.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

I tried to use a live usb verison of mint, but it says that no connection is available, even if I'm connected with ethernet. I don't know anything of linux so I had no luck in making it work... Should I use another version of Linux, like Ubuntu?

Guys, I have no idea why, but now the connection works fine! I literally did nothing. I had installed some windows 11 updates, but right after the restart it was bad as usual. After having installed Glasswire I also found out that there was a cFos speed app installed (I have no idea how it got there, probably through the MSI Center), so I uninstalled it since I had no use for it. Then I tried with Linux but with no luck. I restarted on windows and now it works.

Could it really have been the cFos app? I would have never spotted it if not for Glasswire. Do you think it's wise to uninstall MSI Center too, at this point? I really don't use it for anything (Mystic light was underwhelming to say the least).

11 hours ago, Fedecolov said:

cFos is definitely likely.  It advertises itself as improving speed and latency, that sort of thing can easily end up doing the complete opposite.  In fact its an oxymoron, as you improve latency by limiting speed, you can't improve both at the same time.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 hours ago, Fedecolov said:

I would have never spotted it if not for Glasswire.

never skip the sponsor bit lmao