what will happen if there was a power outage like what happen to the raid 0 configuration and will there be data loss ?

RRK

hey i am trying to do raid 0 and i was thinking about the liabalilty of raid 0 config.if the drive was not writing any data will the raid 0 config get courrpted ?

4 minutes ago, RRK said:

hey i am trying to do raid 0 and i was thinking about the liabalilty of raid 0 config.if the drive was not writing any data will the raid 0 config get courrpted ?

It can possibly corrupt the array and you will lose the data (Or will lose it over time with repeated power losses). Some arrays are far more sensitive to this (RAID0) than others.

In normal operation, the data (loaded in your system memory; which is lost when the PC is turned off / power is lost) is able to get safely written back to the hard drive when you shut down the PC. In a power loss situation, whatever data the RAID card was processing in the RAM (It might be doing calculations before writing the files back to the drives) gets lost. This can corrupt the array over time / result in lost data for you.

The problem is worse with hardware RAID controllers without a battery backup on card. On hardware RAID controllers, they have a dedicated RAM cache on the card which they use to cache recently used data, and usually don't write the data back to the drives unless you shut down the PC or new data needs to be cached. On your average controller, this is 512MB or greater). So in a sudden power loss, whatever data was in that cache that didn't make it back is lost. 512MB and greater is a lot of data to lose from your array. If you get a hardware RAID card, do make sure to get the on card battery for it, it's saved me several times through several power losses (No, I don't have a UPS...working on getting one).

The other scenario is if the RAID controller manages to write data to one drive but for some reason didn't make it to writing it to the other drives in the array. When the controller starts back up, it's got to figure out what data is actually good or bad. In the worse case, it'll mark a drive as corrupt.

A power outage wouldn't affect a raid 0 config unless the config somehow relied on random access memory ( which wouldn't really be common or probable)

I mean when they invented raid they didn't exactly overlook sudden power loss

if you're not doing raid0 trough a controller with on-board caching, a power loss on your raid0 is pretty much the same as power loss on a single disk. there's no parity to be calculated, there's only writes being splut between two drives.

Power loss can always result in data loss, and RAID doesn't change that nor make it worse. Most consumer drives don't have a means to write data sitting in the cache in the event of a power outage. Enterprise drives often do, and as do some prosumer drives, but basic ones generally don't. So if the OS has written data to the drive, but the data is just sitting in the cache, while not yet having been written to the drive itself, then that data can be lost.

If you're worried about the array itself, a power loss generally shouldn't hurt it, but as with anything, it is always a good idea to have a backup. That way, even if the array does get corrupted, you don't lose anything too critical.

30 minutes ago, emosun said:

A power outage wouldn't affect a raid 0 config unless the config somehow relied on random access memory ( which wouldn't really be common or probable)

I mean when they invented raid they didn't exactly overlook sudden power loss

Can be if you use RAM as disk cache...

Anyway on RAID0 you'd better either put data that has backup or can be reinstalled easily (Steam games ..), or use an UPS 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

51 minutes ago, RRK said:

what will happen if there was a power outage

UPS.

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)