Disk not detected by diskpart

HamsterHomie

Hi, does anyone know why my SSD doesn't show up in Diskpart ? I have 2 disks ( 1Tb HDD & 256Gb SSD ). My whole system is on my HDD but it's not bigger than 200Gb so I want to clone it to my SSD. To do so I first wanted to clean the SSD completely so I used Diskpart. But when I entered list disk, it only listed Disk 0 (the HDD) and nothing else. I then checked the Windows Disk Management tool and this is what it shows :disk.thumb.png.e6157fafcd58d6c27a4d1c4904c711aa.png

When I open up file explorer, the disk cannot be accessed. An error message reports it as "non existant".

Is my disk broken or can it be salvaged ?

your ssd is there it just isn't formatted

Right click on all those partitions on the ssd and remove them ( if that's what you want to do) then click the entire open space and create a new volume and format it to anything , it'll then show up in windows and can be seen by file explorer or be cloned to with drive copy software

are you running the command prompt as "administrator"?  If you close and open a new command prompt is it still missing?   If you are latest windows 10 or Windows 11 you can try the powershell command 'get-disk'.  Do you see both there?

You can just delete all the partitions in the GUI from your screenshot as @emosunsuggests as well.  It is not as easy as typing "clean", but it should work.     The only time i have seen diskpart missing drives is if you open it up before connecting a drive (like USB).    

2 minutes ago, Allan B said:

It is not as easy as typing "clean", but it should work. 

most people find clicking easier than typing regardless of other preferences

20 hours ago, emosun said:

Right click on all those partitions on the ssd and remove them

I can't delete them

19 hours ago, Allan B said:

powershell command 'get-disk'.  Do you see both there?

nope, I only see the HDD

put it in a different machine and do it from there