Clean Files Blocks Boot message ubuntu linux

Yesterday when i restarted my pc i got this message and even after 12+ hours it dosent boot its just stuck on this i searched and tried solutions but they didnt help. How can i fix this? Pretty new to linux

Edit: i dont have any Graphics card installed on the PC and before getting this message when i could use linux it showed a update error dont exactly remember wht it said tho

541385408_WhatsAppImage2022-04-11at9_45_08AM.thumb.jpeg.c57ca43679517dbb5e082b71b657d29d.jpeg

This is a common on-boot test for a filesystem - /dev/sda5 in this case.

What have you tried so far?

18 minutes ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

This is a common on-boot test for a filesystem - /dev/sda5 in this case.

What have you tried so far?

restarting multiple times, installing gdm service (that failed and it failed to start) 

How'd you manage to install GDM without booting?  Get into single-user mode?

If you can get to where you can at least mount the file system, you can check /etc/fstab - this is where your mounts are listed.  The last two things are related to running fsck, which is what's really happening here.

1 hour ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

Get into single-user mode?

i think i just clicked alt+f2 or smth according to wht a post told 

1 hour ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

If you can get to where you can at least mount the file system, you can check /etc/fstab - this is where your mounts are listed.  The last two things are related to running fsck, which is what's really happening here.

ok so would tht solve the problem?

Yeah, you can change the last bit of the line for /dev/sda5 to 0, which will tell it to not try to check.

It likely shouldn't be taking this long, but depending on the configuration of the machine, you may be able to boot fully and then run fsck yourself once it's actually booting, so you're at least in before it starts checking.

What kind of a drive is this partition on, and how big is this partition?

19 hours ago, Glitchy Guy said:

Yesterday when i restarted my pc i got this message and even after 12+ hours it dosent boot its just stuck on this i searched and tried solutions but they didnt help. How can i fix this? Pretty new to linux

Edit: i dont have any Graphics card installed on the PC and before getting this message when i could use linux it showed a update error dont exactly remember wht it said tho

541385408_WhatsAppImage2022-04-11at9_45_08AM.thumb.jpeg.c57ca43679517dbb5e082b71b657d29d.jpeg

What your seeing is ext4 reindex the journal and running into an issue causing it to hang.

Possibly from file system corruption (bitrot) or a disk error.

Take the system offline and boot into a licecd environment then run a smart test on the disk. Just to be sure.

13 hours ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

Yeah, you can change the last bit of the line for /dev/sda5 to 0, which will tell it to not try to check.

how do i do that 

13 hours ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

It likely shouldn't be taking this long, but depending on the configuration of the machine, you may be able to boot fully and then run fsck yourself once it's actually booting, so you're at least in before it starts checking.

What kind of a drive is this partition on, and how big is this partition?

its on a hard drive not sure how big partition is it

6 hours ago, 10leej said:

smart test on the disk

from the disk app?

For how to change the last thing at the end of the end -- if you can get to a console, you'll just want to run something like `sudo nano /etc/fstab` find that line for /dev/sda5, edit, save, reboot.

As someone else noted, it's possible this is due to a corrupted filesystem, but if this isn't the main/only filesystem, you can also boot up without mounting this filesystem.  To do that, instead of setting the very last part of the line to 0, instead, you'll comment out the whole line (put a # at the start), save, reboot, and then you can boot up, run fsck manually, call it good.

23 hours ago, Glitchy Guy said:

from the disk app?

that or commandline. your choice there

On 4/11/2022 at 8:52 AM, Glitchy Guy said:

This is completely normal, what probably doesn't work is the graphics driver.

Press CTRL+ALT+F5 and check if you have a shell there.

Also try to run the distribution by modifying the kernel boot options, remove "quiet" and "splash" by pressing E in the grub boot menu entry

3 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

This is completely normal, what probably doesn't work is the graphics driver.

Press CTRL+ALT+F5 and check if you have a shell there.

Also try to run the distribution by modifying the kernel boot options, remove "quiet" and "splash" by pressing E in the grub boot menu entry

I dont have a graphics card tho 

On 4/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, SydneyBrokeIt said:

For how to change the last thing at the end of the end -- if you can get to a console, you'll just want to run something like `sudo nano /etc/fstab` find that line for /dev/sda5, edit, save, reboot.

As someone else noted, it's possible this is due to a corrupted filesystem, but if this isn't the main/only filesystem, you can also boot up without mounting this filesystem.  To do that, instead of setting the very last part of the line to 0, instead, you'll comment out the whole line (put a # at the start), save, reboot, and then you can boot up, run fsck manually, call it good.

Thanks a lot for the help

7 hours ago, 10leej said:

that or commandline. your choice there

ok, thanks

44 minutes ago, Glitchy Guy said:

I dont have a graphics card tho 

What does it mean? If you have an output of course you have one, you mean an integrated one? 

On 4/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, Chunchunmaru_ said:

you mean an integrated one?

yea i dont have and integrated or external GPU. wait u talking about like a normal output like shared graphics chip