Weird connection issues (packet loss)

overqual

After many years our house finally managed to get access to fiber (FTTH) so we decided to ditch the old DSL connection for a new 150Mbit/s one but as dumb as it sounds... we kinda regret it at this point because the connection has been far from "good" when it comes to stability and reliability.
Basically everything that needs some kind of real-time communication works extremely poorly - live streams are frequently lagging and buffering, voice/video calls are experiencing constant drop-outs and games are often unplayable because of the insane packet loss and rubber-banding, followed by high ping spikes.
The issue occurs very often and randomly, depends on how "massive" the dropout is, it's easily observed probably 1-3 times every 5 minutes.
It's been around 7 months and the ISP has been anything but helpful so far, I'd like to ask local network-wizards for some help with some more in-depth diagnostics so I have something to throw at my ISP.
I should mention that I have tried all the basic troubleshooting including changing both cables (PC>router and router>wall), trying different settings on PC and the router, changing the router itself etc. and I think I'm 99% sure it's not on my end.
I can provide more info if someone wanted or needed including wireshark logs etc., not including them right now with the post because I don't really want to share that kind of stuff publicly.
Any kind of help would be really appreciated, thanks.

I know you said it wasn't your end but in my experience I had similar issues when I moved house and I went from Fast cable internet to fast fiber internet and my old router really didn't like the fiber internet so I bought an Asus gaming router and I have had no issues or regrets. before I would have random drop out and issues with the old router favoriting certain devices. So maybe do some research into a new router?

Keep in mind my old router was a "premium" netgear router which was udder garbage and my new one is a Asus wifi 6 compatible router

overqual can you describe your setup a bit more?

Are you using the ISP's provided router/switch/ap soho unit solely? Or do you have other equipment in the mix (like a second router or ap or anything)?

Is this observed on both wired and wireless?

On 4/10/2022 at 2:19 AM, Spencerssy1 said:

I know you said it wasn't your end but in my experience I had similar issues when I moved house and I went from Fast cable internet to fast fiber internet and my old router really didn't like the fiber internet so I bought an Asus gaming router and I have had no issues or regrets. before I would have random drop out and issues with the old router favoriting certain devices. So maybe do some research into a new router?

Keep in mind my old router was a "premium" netgear router which was udder garbage and my new one is a Asus wifi 6 compatible router

I mentioned that I tried a different router but nothing changed, I would try anything at this point but something tells me that a "gaming" router won't save me in this case haha

14 hours ago, McKeznak said:

overqual can you describe your setup a bit more?

Are you using the ISP's provided router/switch/ap soho unit solely? Or do you have other equipment in the mix (like a second router or ap or anything)?

Is this observed on both wired and wireless?

Yeah I got one from them when they were setting up the connection, a quite generic one - Archer C6 from TP-Link, my setup is also quite simple with PC being connected to the router (wired, but the same stuff happens with wireless) and router connected to the wall via ethernet cable.

I have no idea how the ISP's stuff is set up but there's two things from what I've seen (obviously hidden and locked in boxes), both the large one and the small one have ethernet cables running in and out, so my guess would be the large one has a switch but I have no idea about the small one, also fun fact - someone tried to break into it for some reason so the door is halfway busted and I'm pretty sure I was able to see flashing LAN status LED's.

I'm fuming at this point and (sadly) considering going back to xDSL, I don't even know if it's just badly and/or lazily configured SW/FW on their end (their router if they have any or a switch) or a HW issue like bad cabling or socket, I feel like I'm the one doing all the troubleshooting instead of actual the ISP...