PC trouble after home circuit breaker tripped

RFAurora

Hello all, we had a circuit breaker trip in the house recently, and it affected my old gaming PC.  The PC will start up, and do a post.  Sometimes I get an error message of Your PC has failed to boot properly, with Windows related issues.  The recovery options on that blue screen don't do anything.  Other times, I just got a spinning wheel of doom on startup after the options to enter BIOS disappeared.  The Bios registers all of my drives, from my NVMe to the regular mechanicals.  I tried using a recovery USB that I made, but when I started up the computer with the USB, it goes to a dark blue screen with nothing on it but my mouse cursor.  I then used a working SSD from another PC that works, but it just went to the WIndows logo with a spinning wheel of doom.  Put the SSD back into the PC it came from, and it did a short recovery/repair and booted up fine.  I'm not sure what the issue is, and given the age of the PC, I decided to replace the motherboard and CPU to test that out.  Old motherboard is an ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming motherboard, with an Intel Core i5-7600K processor, Corsair Vengeance LPX ram, 4 sticks of 8GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe, GTX960 GPU, and a Corsair RMX 750X PSU.  For the replacement, I decided to swap over to an AMD processor, 5600X, and an ASUS TUF Gamin X570 Plus Gaming Wifi motherboard(parents paid to replace those 2 items, and I like the AMD 5 series processor since it's what's in my new gaming PC). Hoping it's something in the motherboard or CPU, and not memory or anything else atm.  Any ideas for helping to troubleshoot this issue would be appreciated.

Well, it's likely not the GPU causing any issues since you still have a display, assuming you tested it with the monitor hooked into you GPU and not the motherboard.

3 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Well, it's likely not the GPU causing any issues since you still have a display, assuming you tested it with the monitor hooked into you GPU and not the motherboard.

Yeah.  It's the only good thing that I don't have to replace that.  GPU prices may be coming down, but I still don't want to replace it at this time.

7 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

So you replaced the mobo and cpu and still have the same problem?

They come tomorrow.  I was just looking for any troubleshooting I could do before I take the old mobo and cpu out.

Update:  got the new motherboard and cpu installed.  It goes to Windows now, but goes BSOD immediately after logging in.  Got it up in safe mode, and making backups of data I don’t want to lose from the C drive and doing a fresh install of Win 10.