"mpg b550 gaming carbon wifi" storage question

Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,

Yeah, it will work just fine. The first one runs on PCIe 3.0/4.0 x4 connected to the CPU while the second slot runs PCIe 3.0 x4 through the chipset. Both will run simultaneously at full bandwidth.

I want to install a new ekstra storage in my build, but i am a bit unsure if i can put another m.2 in, without loosing the speed of my 980 pro?

spec
mpg b550 gaming carbon wifi

Ryzen 9 5900x

Radeon rx 6800 PCIe 4

RAM 2x 16 gb 3600 

ssd 980 pro 1tb PCIe 4

and old storage that i want to replace.

Yeah, it will work just fine. The first one runs on PCIe 3.0/4.0 x4 connected to the CPU while the second slot runs PCIe 3.0 x4 through the chipset. Both will run simultaneously at full bandwidth.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

23 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

so it just have to be PCIe 3.0 and then i'm all good? 

16 minutes ago, Bobthecat said:

so it just have to be PCIe 3.0 and then i'm all good? 

The second slot will only run at 3.0 speeds, but any drive will work since 4.0 is backward compatible. You’d just be wasting money on the faster drive since you wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the faster speed. But it would work just fine. 

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

18 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

The second slot will only run at 3.0 speeds, but any drive will work since 4.0 is backward compatible. You’d just be wasting money on the faster drive since you wouldn’t be able to take advantage of the faster speed. But it would work just fine. 

Okay i see thank you!
Have a awesome day!