What are safe temps for 5600x, mines hitting 76c

Like the title says, recently I have been pondering the idea of rebuilding my PC with air-flow in mind since I would love to keep using air-coolers.

I have been looking around various forums like Toms Hardware and here with many posts but I am still left with mixed emotions on how I would approach this.

Some are saying that this temp is good and fine, while others are saying that its damaging and shouldn't be this high (While I do disagree) I need a good answer, one that would make sense to me.

I have ordered a new case as the Fractal Design Focus G isn't getting enough air through the front panel or it could be due to my 1200rpm case fans that are all hooked up to one singular Fan Hub (ARCTIC HUB). The new case is the Corsair 4000D Airflow

I need ideas and honest and good answers, hopefully ones with evidence that proves it to be none harmful so that I can make a final decision.

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE  |  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC  | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200mhz  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2  |  Storage:  WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD  |  Case:  Corsair 4000D Airflow  |  Power Supply: Corsair CX650w Bronze Series

With Ryzen, you want to monitor frequency, not temperature. The way the boost algorithm works, they'll stay between about 75 and 85C when under load, and fluctuate frequency and voltage in order to keep it in that range. You'll see frequency dropping before you see your temps getting too high.

And yes, 75C is fine on those CPUs. TJMax is ~100C (I forget the exact number), and the general rule of thumb is you want to keep your load temp in your workloads ~10C+ below TJMax. Basically, 90C and below is more fine for those chips. 

AMD rates the 5600X as safe to 95C under full load, the 5800X / 5900X / 5950X are safe to 90C under full load. They do need substantial cooling, but not necessarily liquid cooling. My 5900X build has a Scythe Mugen 5 and six 120mm case fans in a 4000X Corsair and an iCUE Commander running a custom fan curve with a temp monitor RGB control. Package temp idles around 40C, ranges 47-60C under nominal load, Cinebench R23 (about as fully loaded as you get) it peaks around 71-78C. So your 76C, it depends on what kind of load the system is under. If it's at 76C under light load or at idle, yeah, you've got cooling issues to work out, but 76C isn't terrible under full load, and well within limits.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

AMD rates the 5600X as safe to 95C under full load, the 5800X / 5900X / 5950X are safe to 90C under full load. They do need substantial cooling, but not necessarily liquid cooling. My 5900X build has a Scythe Mugen 5 and six 120mm case fans in a 4000X Corsair and a custom fan curve. Package temp idles around 40C, ranges 47-60C under nominal load, Cinebench R23 (about as fully loaded as you get) it peaks around 71-78C. So your 70C, it depends on what kind of load the system is under. If it's at 70C under light load or at idle, yeah, you've got cooling issues to work out, but 70C isn't terrible under full load, and well within limits.

17 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

With Ryzen, you want to monitor frequency, not temperature. The way the boost algorithm works, they'll stay between about 75 and 85C when under load, and fluctuate frequency and voltage in order to keep it in that range. You'll see frequency dropping before you see your temps getting too high.

And yes, 75C is fine on those CPUs. TJMax is ~100C (I forget the exact number), and the general rule of thumb is you want to keep your load temp in your workloads ~10C+ below TJMax. Basically, 90C and below is more fine for those chips. 

Forgot to mention this is playing Battlefield V, so I am assuming heavy load

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 BE  |  GPU: ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC  | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200mhz  |  Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2  |  Storage:  WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD  |  Case:  Corsair 4000D Airflow  |  Power Supply: Corsair CX650w Bronze Series

4 minutes ago, MistahHaskins said:

Then 76C is likely the upper limits of normal under moderate to heavy load. I routinely see 76C playing BeamNG. But your 5600X is safe to 95C under full load according to AMD. I don't think you've got anything to worry about. If it were pushing 85-88, I'd say you might want to work on your cooling, but if it's not peaking over 76C, you're fine.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, MistahHaskins said:

Are you using that Hyper 212 in your signature? That's higher than I would have expected with that cooler and a properly ventilated case. However, as has been mentioned, its perfectly safe. Its important to understand as well that modern CPU's aren't going to just up and die if they get too hot. First they'll start lowering the clockspeed, for that chip up around 90-95c, then if its bad enough the PC will just shut down to protect itself. 

Also worth mentioning that gaming is NOT considered a high load so you're likely not seeing the worst case scenario. To properly load the CPU you'd need to use a benchmark/stress test like Cinebench. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Are you using that Hyper 212 in your signature? That's higher than I would have expected with that cooler and a properly ventilated case. However, as has been mentioned, its perfectly safe. Its important to understand as well that modern CPU's aren't going to just up and die if they get too hot. First they'll start lowering the clockspeed, for that chip up around 90-95c, then if its bad enough the PC will just shut down to protect itself. 

Also worth mentioning that gaming is NOT considered a high load so you're likely not seeing the worst case scenario. To properly load the CPU you'd need to use a benchmark/stress test like Cinebench. 

Agreed, though I will note that if your GPU is dumping heat into the system at the same time and because the Ryzen boost algorithm pushes 2-3 cores super hard during ligher loads, it's not unheard of to see CPU temps hotter in a gaming workload than in a Cinebench run. In RDR2 my 5900X runs at ~80C, yet in Cinebench R23 it maxes out somewhere around 75C.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Agreed, though I will note that if your GPU is dumping heat into the system at the same time and because the Ryzen boost algorithm pushes 2-3 cores super hard during ligher loads, it's not unheard of to see CPU temps hotter in a gaming workload than in a Cinebench run. In RDR2 my 5900X runs at ~80C, yet in Cinebench R23 it maxes out somewhere around 75C.

Shoot, well that's interesting. I haven't seen that in my particular case but it makes sense. My 3090FE is blowing straight up (flow through) into my EK 360's rad as exhaust though at 3440x1440, my 5800x isn't usually that stressed. In games, both of them hover around 70c. Cinebench though, it levels out at 83c. 

*edit* I have done quite a lot of curve optimizer tweaking. This 5800x is a furnace without it.

19 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Shoot, well that's interesting. I haven't seen that in my particular case but it makes sense. My 3090FE is blowing straight up (flow through) into my EK 360's rad as exhaust though at 3440x1440, my 5800x isn't usually that stressed. In games, both of them hover around 70c. Cinebench though, it levels out at 83c. 

*edit* I have done quite a lot of curve optimizer tweaking. This 5800x is a furnace without it.

My system is also custom water cooled and no curve optimization done (too lazy to bother), both 3080 and 5900X in the loop, so it's probably the worst case scenario for that. I did notice similar situations when my system was air cooled though, back before all the blocks arrived, just didn't bother to document the exact situation. 

So I should be fine?

Gaming Rig: