CPU Upgrade

Budget (including currency): $700 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V (FiveM) Warzone, Apex, OBS, Ready or Not

Other details: Currently, I have a ryzen 5600G an RTX 3060 TI, and 32 gigs of ram. I am thinking of upgrading my CPU to a 5600X. I know the ram is a bit overkill but this was a pre-built I got at microcenter for an AMAZING price. The plan was to buy this just to start off and then change parts as needed. What do you all think I should do for my CPU?

Keep running the 5600G, it's not worth the upgrade. It'll be ~10% faster in very CPU bound workloads, an improvement yes but not a super noticeable one. In gaming it'll basically be the difference between 200FPS and 220FPS (high FPS scenarios are the only ones that would benefit), and unless you're running a 240Hz monitor you won't even be able to see that. 

You're better off doing a monitor upgrade (depending on your monitor), a PSU upgrade for peace of mind (the PowerSpec units aren't amazing), more storage, flipping your GPU and getting a 3070Ti/3080, waiting for a new CPU platform release (we're a couple months away from Zen 4 and Rapter Lake), etc. The 5600X upgrade should be at the very bottom of your priority list. If you can get one used for like $150 and sell your 5600G for the same price, sure upgrade, but I highly doubt that will happen.

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Keep running the 5600G, it's not worth the upgrade. It'll be ~10% faster in very CPU bound workloads, an improvement yes but not a super noticeable one. In gaming it'll basically be the difference between 200FPS and 220FPS (high FPS scenarios are the only ones that would benefit), and unless you're running a 240Hz monitor you won't even be able to see that. 

You're better off doing a monitor upgrade (depending on your monitor), a PSU upgrade for peace of mind (the PowerSpec units aren't amazing), more storage, flipping your GPU and getting a 3070Ti/3080, waiting for a new CPU platform release (we're a couple months away from Zen 4 and Rapter Lake), etc. The 5600X upgrade should be at the very bottom of your priority list. If you can get one used for like $150 and sell your 5600G for the same price, sure upgrade, but I highly doubt that will happen.

I’ve had my monitor for about a year and it’s 60 hertz and I wanna upgrade so I’ll be looking into that. And I will be sure to look at the PSU. Right now, GPU prices are extremely high so I will look for that later down the road. Thank you so much for helping.

2 minutes ago, Icxy.Chris said:

GPU prices are extremely high so I will look for that later down the road

They have come down a lot. they're only at a $200-300 markup over MSRP at this point and they're actually in stock. If you want to wait still for the 40 series or next gen radeon cards, sure, but prices are no where near as high as they were a month ago.

43 minutes ago, Icxy.Chris said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: GTA V (FiveM) Warzone, Apex, OBS, Ready or Not

Other details: Currently, I have a ryzen 5600G an RTX 3060 TI, and 32 gigs of ram. I am thinking of upgrading my CPU to a 5600X. I know the ram is a bit overkill but this was a pre-built I got at microcenter for an AMAZING price. The plan was to buy this just to start off and then change parts as needed. What do you all think I should do for my CPU?

I never understood why companies include the Ryzen 'G' APU's along with a dedicated GPU....

Your system is more than adequate for gaming and almost every task a typical user would utilize it for. I'd just keep it as is for at least a few years or until it can't perform what you need it to. I'm still using a Ryzen 5 1600 af and RX 5700 (non xt) and have no reason to upgrade as it runs the games I want with little issue.

1 hour ago, Icxy.Chris said:

Bro the 5600g is fine, get a new monitor if you want to upgrade something 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface