Touch monitor on a desktop?

MorbidNature

Im building a small audio setup  and i want to connect a small touchscreen

Now most small touchscreens are ment for laptop and connect via USB C...

The question is can i connect a portable screen via USB C via a PCIE card (its a fairly old PC doesnt have USB C built in) or does the output have to been via the GPU?

P.S im assuming that hdmi does not pass through touch infromation - correct me if wrong

35 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Im building a small audio setup  and i want to connect a small touchscreen

Now most small touchscreens are ment for laptop and connect via USB C...

The question is can i connect a portable screen via USB C via a PCIE card (its a fairly old PC doesnt have USB C built in) or does the output have to been via the GPU?

P.S im assuming that hdmi does not pass through touch infromation - correct me if wrong

How old?  Need specs.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How old?  Need specs.  

Old, pretty sure its a 4770K in there with a GT750TI

14 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Old, pretty sure its a 4770K in there with a GT750TI

4770k is haswell.  Hopefully a z97, does it overclock? (The B and H series boards won’t do that, so if it can overclock it’s a z87 or z97 board) 4770k is 4/8 with not so great ipc, but in most other ways it’s effectively a modern chip.  They generally need an OC to game, and the IPC cut is near 50% over current chips.  You’re doing audio though, so your worry is what sound chip does the motherboard have.  In that era some on board sound chips cut it, some didn’t.  The motherboard, whatever it is, is old for USBC without a card, or possibly a c->a adaptor, but the issue with USBC is it’s not a full port type, it’s a form factor.  USB3.0 is now called iirc usb 3.2 gen 1, whereas 3.1 is called 3.2 gen 2, and 3.2 is called 3.2 gen 2x2.  Then there is thunderbolt.  You won’t be able to do a thunderbolt card at all. All of those are USBC.  If this monitor works with USB3.0 you shouldn’t have a problem.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

4770k is haswell.  Hopefully a z97, does it overclock? (The B and H series boards won’t do that, so if it can overclock it’s a z87 or z97 board) 4770k is 4/8 with not so great ipc, but in most other ways it’s effectively a modern chip.  They generally need an OC to game, and the IPC cut is near 50% over current chips.  You’re doing audio though, so your worry is what sound chip does the motherboard have.  In that era some on board sound chips cut it, some didn’t. 

As far as the audio goes, dont worry about it, i got amps and Dacs for that 🙂 (i actually have 3 different "audio stacks" which is why im using a PC rather than a tablet)

My only concern was that Using a USB C card would cause some issues, due to not being hooked directly into the GPU (im assuming on laptop its wired a bit differently which is why i asked)

4 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

As far as the audio goes, dont worry about it, i got amps and Dacs for that 🙂 (i actually have 3 different "audio stacks" which is why im using a PC rather than a tablet)

My only concern was that Using a USB C card would cause some issues, due to not being hooked directly into the GPU (im assuming on laptop its wired a bit differently which is why i asked)

Is this a laptop?

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Is this a laptop?

Nope, desktop (like i said in the title)

I've actually had the same thoughts recently for an audio production setup.

Instead of getting hardware mixers, I thought about how cool it would be to have your DAWs mixer on a separate, tablet like, touchscreen on your desk.

Please do let me know if you manage to achieve this (if this is your goal as well).

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

12 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

Instead of getting hardware mixers, I thought about how cool it would be to have your DAWs mixer on a separate, tablet like, touchscreen on your desk.

Please do let me know if you manage to achieve this (if this is your goal as well).

Sure thing

Im an "audiophile" (hate the term but it fits) -  my main desktop setup is not where i like to sit down and listen to music but ive had to since im using 3 different stacks a PC was pretty much the only way to switch between them  without messing with cables (i have all 3 connected and use Soundswitch to easly switch between them) But i had an old PC laying around i figured i could repurpose it for audio and a small touchscreen would be ideal to make everything a little sleeker

5 hours ago, MorbidNature said:

Nope, desktop (like i said in the title)

Ok one never knows what someone thinks “should be obvious” often to no one but themself.  This is a reason why a full spec is asked for int the pull down posts. Online troubleshooting is a lot like doctoring in Olde Europe where a male doctor was not allowed to  even see a female patient but had to have the symptoms related to them by the husband

21 hours ago, FliP0x said:

OK did a bit more research, and found that you need a special port to transfer both video and data (other wise it will do one or the other), there are very few expansion card that can do both at the same time, Such as this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY4WRBU/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ARC6D3KF2KK8X&psc=1

that being said i decided to go for a simpler route and get a screen that has 2 separate cables - it might be less clean but its cheaper and will not be as "picky",

Also most of those monitors were larger than i wanted (i wanted tablet size and most were around 15 inch).so I ended up buying this

https://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Raspberry-Touchscreen-1024×600-Capacitive/dp/B07Y889J3X/ref=sr_1_68?keywords=touch+screen+monitor&qid=1648632747&sprefix=touch+scree%2Caps%2C505&sr=8-68#customerReviews

Its a little DIY's so you have to get a housing for it, but hopefully it wil do the job

23 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

OK did a bit more research, and found that you need a special port to transfer both video and data (other wise it will do one or the other), there are very few expansion card that can do both at the same time, Such as this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MY4WRBU/ref=ewc_pr_img_1?smid=ARC6D3KF2KK8X&psc=1

that being said i decided to go for a simpler route and get a screen that has 2 separate cables - it might be less clean but its cheaper and will not be as "picky",

Also most of those monitors were larger than i wanted (i wanted tablet size and most were around 15 inch).so I ended up buying this

https://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Raspberry-Touchscreen-1024×600-Capacitive/dp/B07Y889J3X/ref=sr_1_68?keywords=touch+screen+monitor&qid=1648632747&sprefix=touch+scree%2Caps%2C505&sr=8-68#customerReviews

Its a little DIY's so you have to get a housing for it, but hopefully it wil do the job

Thank you for the reply.

I am actually looking for a larger screen. May I ask which ones you found? I could only find options starting from as low as 400$ going all the way up to 2000$.

Thinking that an used tablet and connecting it over a screen sharing app is the best option for me right now.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

34 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

Thank you for the reply.

I am actually looking for a larger screen. May I ask which ones you found? I could only find options starting from as low as 400$ going all the way up to 2000$.

Thinking that an used tablet and connecting it over a screen sharing app is the best option for me right now.

here is a pretty basic one i found (which is only USB C)

https://www.amazon.com/AYY-Portable-15-Display,100-Photographer/dp/B09H3ZLJ8P/ref=sr_1_67?keywords=touch%2Bscreen%2Bmonitor&qid=1648632747&sprefix=touch%2Bscree%2Caps%2C505&sr=8-67&th=1

56 minutes ago, MorbidNature said:

Thanks, this is a great one. Also a very decent price. I'll have to see if it's available in my region.

I plan on connecting over USB C (to a Macbook) so that works well for me.