Dell E2220H or Lenovo S22e?

Damfino

Hello, I am from Argentina, and I need to replace my old montior. I currently have a BenQ G900W and for watching classic black and white movies it looks perfect. I'm not a gamer, I would use it to navigate, Office and watch a movie at night with my sister and mom.

After bad experiences with IPS panels, due to bad viewing angles and excessive brightness that make impossible to see the movies, I wanted to try another panel.

Im between these two models, does anyone have any experience with any of these or any recommendation to choose the monitor?

https://www.dell.com/es-es/shop/monitor-dell-22-e2220h/apd/210-auxd/monitores-y-accesorios

https://www.lenovo.com/ar/es/monitors/S22e-20

Thanks.

One question, do VA panels have good viewing angles? because when watching a movie with the family I sit on the right side and with the BenQ G900W it was never a problem but with an IPS panel monitor (Samsung F350 and BenQ GW2283) a Buster Keaton movie would see half of the left screen very bluish (I don't know if it is the correct term in English, sample photo attached)

IMG_20220329_145810064.thumb.jpg.f446d2ac07ab4b1d22a91371c8d162bb.jpgIMG_20220329_145804060.thumb.jpg.3f7926543637ce71dbb6fb211e8147a2.jpg

IMG_20220328_155814525.jpg

@Damfino

Just based on specs, the Lenovo seems to have better specs: higher contrast ratio and better frequency. While the Dell is newer, has lower power consumption and has a DisplayPort connection. I've had a bad experience with Lenovo monitors and cheap, lowend Dells have also been terrible in my experience.

Low-end monitors in general have terrible panels. I know because I used to do lots of research, trying to find cheap decent monitors. And I came to the conclusion it's not possible. You simply have to go a bit above 200 bucks to start seeing somewhat more usable monitors. What you can find below 200 bucks is the barely functional, throwaway panels they're trying to make available for a certain market segment.

A few years ago I was lucky and I found a Philips 245E1S at barely above 200 bucks, not very far from how much those models you mentioned cost. Now the price for that Philips seems to have gone up again here, where I live. But damn it's a very nice monitor for 200 bucks, how much I paid for it. Check to see if you can find it in your area at a discount, maybe you're lucky. But it's possible this model is only for the European market.

Anyway, check some Philips models too, because often they are cheaper for the quality and features they offer. Dells are only good above 300 bucks at least. And Lenovos from my experience are terrible, I just returned one that cost 400 bucks.

Thanks for for answering me, unfortunately the Philips monitor that you recommended is not in Argentina. I could try to spend more but I need something halfway decent to use now, colege starts on Monday and I need the computer. in a few months or next year I could see spending more money.

TN panels have such bad viewing angles as I read? I'm afraid the same thing will happen to me as with the GW2283.

Which panel will look more like the BenQ G900W, is: WXGA+, Brightness 300 cd/m2C, and  ContrastRatio 800:1.

@Damfino

I cannot find that Benq to compare, but both these monitors you listed as your options are better than that old Benq from 2007.

Here you can take a look at a side by side comparison:

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/6cf3179afe

TN panels usually have better response time, so better for gaming. VA panels have better colors but somewhat slower than TN displays.

Viewing angles depend a lot on individual model and they're usually better in IPS panels. Neither VA nor TN panels have great viewing angles.

Both of those monitors have lower brightness. The Lenovo has better contrast. The Dell is a newer model and has a DisplayPort.

It's different shades of lowend monitors, tbh.