TV gives screwy initial resolution for PC on HDMI - Win 10

An0maly_76

Spectre U55M TV, advertised as 120 hz with MEMC, which is currently set to ON. Default refresh is 60 hz without MEMC.

TV can handle 3840x2160. Windows desktop resolution is set 1920x1080, and TV generally switches to the correct resolution on its own. However, recently, the TV starts up in 3840x2160, and displays the Windows desktop in the upper left 1920x1080 (I've had similar issues recording at lower resolutions with OBS). Also, when this happens, the mouse cursor does not correspond with what highlights, it is offset. So this makes it difficult to change the resolution, as I am having to 'hunt' for the right spot where I can click. Once I change resolution and let it revert without saving, though, it straightens out... WTH? Has anyone seen this before? It just started doing it.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Is the TV on when the PC is being turned on? I've had that happen when the display was initially off so the PC doesn't get an answer from it as to what resolutions it supports when starting up. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

48 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Is the TV on when the PC is being turned on? I've had that happen when the display was initially off so the PC doesn't get an answer from it as to what resolutions it supports when starting up. 

Turn on at the same time I think. So you're saying that the PC should be on, possibly booted before the TV is turned on? Makes sense, I guess, if the TV defaults to its max resolution otherwise. Any ideas why I was getting the same issue trying to record gameplay at lower res than desktop res?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

No, the opposite for me. TV needs to be on before the PC so that when the PC boots it can ask the TV what resolution to use and select the right one. Your situation might be different, try things.

In OBS you make your layout and size things how you want so it's probably completely different and just need to make sure you set things the way you want them. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally figured out that this is going to be a thing if my PC's desktop resolution is ANYTHING other than 3840x2160. Crummy.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!