GPU not using full power when in windowed mode

NecroFlex

I'm having issues with my RTX 3080 just...sleeping on the job. When the game is fullscreen, it's fine, works like a charm, but if the game is windows/borderless, the game feels like it's locked to 60FPS with heavy microstuttering. The only way to get rid of that is to either go fullscreen or have youtube playing on my 2nd screen. The other interesting part is that if i have the game open on my main screen as borderless and i click on something on the 2nd screen, the game will go back to full performance, when i tab back in, it''ll slow down again.

I tried a full reinstall of drivers, but no luck. I have a feeling, which honestly wouldn't surprise me, is that Nvidia's LHR firmware is somehow screwing the games up, wouldn't be the first time they screw up this badly.

Any clues on what it could be?

If you have a GSync display, have you enabled "enable gsync in borderless/windowed applications" inside the nvidia control panel?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

46 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

If you have a GSync display, have you enabled "enable gsync in borderless/windowed applications" inside the nvidia control panel?

I did, i also tried to entirely disable it, but same result.

• 10 months later...
On 3/26/2022 at 3:32 PM, NecroFlex said:

I'm having issues with my RTX 3080 just...sleeping on the job. When the game is fullscreen, it's fine, works like a charm, but if the game is windows/borderless, the game feels like it's locked to 60FPS with heavy microstuttering. The only way to get rid of that is to either go fullscreen or have youtube playing on my 2nd screen. The other interesting part is that if i have the game open on my main screen as borderless and i click on something on the 2nd screen, the game will go back to full performance, when i tab back in, it''ll slow down again.

I tried a full reinstall of drivers, but no luck. I have a feeling, which honestly wouldn't surprise me, is that Nvidia's LHR firmware is somehow screwing the games up, wouldn't be the first time they screw up this badly.

Any clues on what it could be?

I just ran across your post. I'm having the same exact issue with my system while playing windowed games. Specifically MSFS 2020, when I full screen the game it's fine I run 4K at about 50fps on Ultra global settings using a system that has Ryzen 5 2600, AMD 6700XT, speedy 64GB Ram and mid grade m.2 SSD. .

Runs amazing for what it is but it will only go to full gou performance if I hit print screen or run a video in the background and that's kind of hit and miss. It's like the software in MSFS doesn't see the GPU 

Of course uninstalled reinstalled game drivers and even OS. 

Did you ever get yours to work?289892973_2023-01-26(19).thumb.png.cd8df1bee2372fd97f56b579fc18974d.png

17 hours ago, A1Aviator said:

I just ran across your post. I'm having the same exact issue with my system while playing windowed games. Specifically MSFS 2020, when I full screen the game it's fine I run 4K at about 50fps on Ultra global settings using a system that has Ryzen 5 2600, AMD 6700XT, speedy 64GB Ram and mid grade m.2 SSD. .

Runs amazing for what it is but it will only go to full gou performance if I hit print screen or run a video in the background and that's kind of hit and miss. It's like the software in MSFS doesn't see the GPU 

Of course uninstalled reinstalled game drivers and even OS. 

Did you ever get yours to work?

it just started working at some point, not sure what the issue was, now i'm having a different issue as when i play a game and have a YT video on another, it'll keep lowering the YT video quality as if the PC (not the internet) can't keep up with it.