RTX 2080 TI 'leveling out' at 80% usage... Stumped.

Hello All! 

I have a RTX 2080Ti that I bought a few years ago. I have been getting quite poor performance out of it - 2080 like performance. I am getting well below the average of 14k with a score of 10.4k. I just noticed that its not using 100% power when running 3dmark time spy so I believe this may be the issue.

I have uploaded the two pictures for you too take a look at. I am completely stumped. 

PC Specs

Corsair HX1000 PSu

ASUS STRIX OC RTX 2080TI 

Gigabyte Z490 master mobo

Samsung 970 EVO SSD

G.skill Trident Z rgb 3200mhz ram

10700k @5ghz all core 

I tried:

1. Reinstalling drivers completely with DDU
  2. reflashing the bios of the card (it has two so it was lower risk)
  3. putting the card in my gf's pc, DDUing the drivers, and running it again... and the behavior persisted. 
  4. Replacing power supply cables.
  5. Switching the 12V rails.

I have not tried a new power supply.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it. I can get the logs of a Timespy run if you feel like that would help.

***EDIT: For clarity, the two humps in the below HWINFO graphs are the timespy run and the sensors were reset at the start.

1450611365_3dmarkscore.thumb.png.c6cf8c8b28b77f9bfbee32a2abd40be4.png

hwinfo Screenshots.png

Edited by sxstack
Clarity

You can't have an X570 motherboard and a 10700k.

Some cards just don't perform as well as others. Someone might have a fix, but that's something to keep in mind.

What model Asus card?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

What is the sustained GPU power when it performed like a 2080?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You can't have an X570 motherboard and a 10700k.

Some cards just don't perform as well as others. Someone might have a fix, but that's something to keep in mind.

What model Asus card?

Thanks for the reply!

My bad - Just built my friends PC with an x570 so it was still on the mind.

I edited that in as well as clarifying that it is a Asus Strix OC 2080ti.

8 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

What is the sustained GPU power when it performed like a 2080?

Thanks for the reply! Sustained GPU power in furmark and 3dMark is 80% as shown in the photos. It peaks to about the 260W mark (TDP), then gradually declines to 80% while still hitting Performance Limit - Power.

Is VSync or any other stabilization assistance enabled? Lower frame rate could very well do that.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Is VSync or any other stabilization assistance enabled? Lower frame rate could very well do that.

Vsync and Gsync are turned off. Prefer maximum performance is on.

See snip.

Vsync and performance.png

I was seeing some similar results to this with my 2080 Ti a while back. Out of curiosity when was the last time you updated your motherboard BIOS? If I'm not mistaken, you're using a Z490 Aorus Master, correct? I was comparing (I think) your benches against mine on 3d Mark. There's a bunch of BIOS updates, particularly F8B and F20 that have GPU performance enhancements listed in the revision notes.

Might be worth a shot. I know one of the issues I had with my card was my Z590 A Pro not running the PCIE link at the proper speeds.

Have you tried running Afterburner and raising the Power Limit of the card? Yours seems to cap out at 260W and my Zotac will punch above 320W easy in Time Spy.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

1 minute ago, ApolloX75 said:

I was seeing some similar results to this with my 2080 Ti a while back. Out of curiosity when was the last time you updated your motherboard BIOS? If I'm not mistaken, you're using a Z490 Aorus Master, correct? I was comparing (I think) your benches against mine on 3d Mark. There's a bunch of BIOS updates, particularly F8B and F20 that have GPU performance enhancements listed in the revision notes.

Might be worth a shot. I know one of the issues I had with my card was my Z590 A Pro not running the PCIE link at the proper speeds.

Have you tried running Afterburner and raising the Power Limit of the card? Yours seems to cap out at 260W and my Zotac will punch above 320W easy in Time Spy.

Yes! I am using the z490 Aorus Master. I am currently on the F20d bios. I will try updating to F21. 

If I raise the power limit in Afterburner, the initial spike goes up to the 325W (125%), but then still settles at 200W (~80%). 

1 minute ago, sxstack said:

Yes! I am using the z490 Aorus Master. I am currently on the F20d bios. I will try updating to F21. 

If I raise the power limit in Afterburner, the initial spike goes up to the 325W (125%), but then still settles at 200W (~80%). 

Weak capacitors bleeding off power and limiting speed? Just a thought.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 minutes ago, sxstack said:

Interesting. Does HWInfo show you the Memory Tjunction temps and Hot Spot temps for your card? When I was benching my 3080 after reinstalling the air cooler I was seeing 100C+ temps on the memory and it was causing the card to limit itself for obvious reasons. Had to swap better thermal pads onto it. For comparison my 2080 Ti with it's EK waterblock never exceeds 65C on those modules, but would easily hit 85-90 with the stock air cooler, so if the thermal pads were crap....

If you've never pulled the card apart for maintenance and you've been running it a few years, there could be a heat issue that's not showing up in hardware monitoring. It doesn't 100% explain the levelling out, as usually the cards will just clock up and down constantly. Or crash.

*EDIT* Jesus I just noticed, you're using an ancient version of HWInfo64. It's into build 7.06 now man, you need to update it, it should able to show you more sensor detail.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

13 minutes ago, ApolloX75 said:

Interesting. Does HWInfo show you the Memory Tjunction temps and Hot Spot temps for your card? When I was benching my 3080 after reinstalling the air cooler I was seeing 100C+ temps on the memory and it was causing the card to limit itself for obvious reasons. Had to swap better thermal pads onto it. For comparison my 2080 Ti with it's EK waterblock never exceeds 65C on those modules, but would easily hit 85-90 with the stock air cooler, so if the thermal pads were crap....

If you've never pulled the card apart for maintenance and you've been running it a few years, there could be a heat issue that's not showing up in hardware monitoring. It doesn't 100% explain the levelling out, as usually the cards will just clock up and down constantly. Or crash.

*EDIT* Jesus I just noticed, you're using an ancient version of HWInfo64. It's into build 7.06 now man, you need to update it, it should able to show you more sensor detail.

Bios updated to F21.

I just updated HWInfo to 7.2. I procrastinated updating since it was working with my Streamdeck that I use for stats.

Not sure where to see the TJuntion temps for memory... but using GPUz I do see the hotspot temperatures (memory specifically) at 70C at idle (oof) and 107C during furmark.. Oh God. That is probably the issue. 

I am just surprised this is showing as Performance Limit - Power and not Performance Limit - Thermal in HWInfo?

17 minutes ago, sxstack said:

Bios updated to F21.

I just updated HWInfo to 7.2. I procrastinated updating since it was working with my Streamdeck that I use for stats.

Not sure where to see the TJuntion temps for memory... but using GPUz I do see the hotspot temperatures (memory specifically) at 70C at idle (oof) and 107C during furmark.. Oh God. That is probably the issue. 

I am just surprised this is showing as Performance Limit - Power and not Performance Limit - Thermal in HWInfo?

Just purchased some 1.5mm thermal pads as per a few other forums online.. hopefully this resolves my issue. I will update this thread if it does.

Hello All!

I just wanted to update this thread for future people experiencing this problem.

So, I replaced all of the thermal pads and thermal paste (1.5mm pads for the 2080ti strix OC), and it reduced the temps significantly. Not only was the memory hot, but the GPU was hot - but it was reporting fine. The 'hot spot' temp was throttling the GPU, not the 'gpu temperature' in HWINFO - the previous version of HWinfo I was using did not have this hotspot temp. The strange thing is that it was reporting the limit as 'Performance Limit - Power' instead of thermal! 

My score in 3dmark went from 10,400 to 14,200! Easy 40% performance... I didnt realize it because it happened over a long period of time ~2years.

One thing to note - this was an RMA replacement card. It may have been a refurb or something. When I took the cooler off, the thermal paste job on the cooler was HORRIBLE. Not nearly enough thermal paste, which makes sense since the hotspot temperature was the one throttling me.

TLDR - Check your thermals - GPU, Hotspot, VRM and memory (in GPUz), even if it says Performance Limit - Power,

Thanks everyone!

One last thing - I used 2x Gelid 80x40x1.5 mm thermal pads which I got on Amazon Canada for about 16.50 ea, and Kryonaut thermal paste.

Good luck!