SED - Self Encrypted Drives and support

LDGrinn

Hello, my motherboard is TUF Z370-PRO GAMING.

I plan to add some storage space with one of the following 6 choices:

Seagate
Exos X20 20TB

Seagate
IronWolf Pro 20TB

Western Digital
WD Gold 20TB

Western Digital
Ultrastar HC560

Model and SED functionality

ST20000NM007D
ST20000NM000D (SED)

ST20000NE000

WD201KRYZ

WUH722020ALE6L1 (SED)
WUH722020ALE6L4

Recording Technology

Conventional Magnetic Recording
(CMR)

Conventional Magnetic Recording with Energy-Assist
(CMR / EAMR)

RPM

7200 RPM

7200 RPM

DRAM Cache

256 MB

512 MB

Helium-Filling

Yes

Yes

Sequential Data Transfer Rate
(MBps)

285 MB/s

269 MB/s

MTBF

2.5 M

1.2 M

2.5 M

Rated Annual Workload

550 TB

300 TB

550 TB

Acoustics

Idle

28 dB

28 dB

20 dB

Seek

30 dB

32 dB

36 dB

Power Consumption

Random read/write

9.4 W / 8.9 W (100R/100W @ QD16)

9.4 W / 8.9 W (100R/100W @ QD16)

7 W
(50R/50W @ QD1)

Idle

5.5 W

5.4 W

6 W

Warranty

5 Years

5 Years
(3 years DRS)

5 Years

The problem is the  SED functionality of the disks, according to some posts at ROG.ASUS forums, this mobo model TUF Z370-PRO GAMING has no support for SED.
But what about now, how can I check without testing if the motherboard supports SED functionality now?
Other  side questions:

Can you unlock a locked SED after several wrong passwords and how?
It is known fact that manufactures can unlock and decrypt the SED if you provide them with serial number of the disk and model number of motherboard (and some other similar information). Does that mean this exists as official backdoor for governments to raid your home / datacenter and read your personal or confidential data whenever they please?
Can a thief, who grabbed the whole rig from home use the same information to unlock and decrypt the disks?
Third party software such as VeraCrypt can't encrypt the SED as for now. It's not known if support will be added in future.
Did VeraCrypt patch the RAM exploit introduced by Elcomsoft Cracks?
Nobody uses Bitocker. Nobody would ever trust Microsoft with their data, ever! So why is Bitlocker the only third party software capable to manage SEDs? Is there other software?

yeah....tough choices.
Also, if somebody has those disks, share opinion about them, specially how noisy they are and what is recommended please.

What is your end goal? Even Elomsoft admits they need physical access to the machine while the encrypted drive is mounted, as they need to dump the RAM to obtain the  encryption key to get what they need to crack the encryption. Which should not be a likely scenario. The key needs to be stored somewhere. I'm not sure how you mitigate that risk? 

Truecrypt did at least get audited. That is what Veracrypt is based on. Veracrypt is open source as well. That would be what I would trust. 

54 minutes ago, LDGrinn said:

Nobody uses Bitocker

Lol riiiiight. Bitlocker is one of the reasons why most companies why most companies buy Pro versions of Windows. It has been mandatory on every single Windows device for the every company I worked for so far. If your data is so sensitive that you cant trust anyone, what makes you think you can trust these SEDs?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

What is your end goal? Even Elomsoft admits they need physical access to the machine while the encrypted drive is mounted, as they need to dump the RAM to obtain the  encryption key to get what they need to crack the encryption. Which should not be a likely scenario. The key needs to be stored somewhere. I'm not sure how you mitigate that risk? 

Truecrypt did at least get audited. That is what Veracrypt is based on. Veracrypt is open source as well. That would be what I would trust. 

The goal is to obtain and make a database disk that I and only I can access. And nobody to be able to recover it in case the whole computer gets stolen.

48 minutes ago, Levent said:

Lol riiiiight. Bitlocker is one of the reasons why most companies why most companies buy Pro versions of Windows. It has been mandatory on every single Windows device for the every company I worked for so far. If your data is so sensitive that you cant trust anyone, what makes you think you can trust these SEDs?

I am sorry, but with Admin Control Panel I actually SEE the very keywords used to decrypt a device on the other end of the planet. And the laptop was not even in a domain, office 365 and sharepoint are the only services we administrated and obviously enough backdoor to show us the encryption key of BitLocker.

Companies have to buy pro because we can't even create a local account on windows 10 home, forget about Group Policies and Domain.

20 minutes ago, LDGrinn said:

The goal is to obtain and make a database disk that I and only I can access. And nobody to be able to recover it in case the whole computer gets stolen.

I mean nothing is foolproof. Everything has vulnerabilities. I still think your best bet is Truecrypt / Veracrypt, using a hidden partition, and a keyfile.

As with most vulnerabilities physical access to the machine will be a problem. So leaving the drive mounted while unattended is a bad idea. 

This is cross platform too, so it works in Windows, Linux, and Mac. I know Bitlocker works in Linux, however I don't think there is any support for Mac users.

10 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I mean nothing is foolproof. Everything has vulnerabilities. I still think your best bet is Truecrypt / Veracrypt, using a hidden partition, and a keyfile.

As with most vulnerabilities physical access to the machine will be a problem. So leaving the drive mounted while unattended is a bad idea. 

This is cross platform too, so it works in Windows, Linux, and Mac. I know Bitlocker works in Linux, however I don't think there is any support for Mac users.

Ok, but if I chose to go with VeraCrypt, do I need an ordinary disk, or will SED work too?
That's really important to know before buying.