Ground problems

Kgords

I bought a 650va UPS and it's causing my monitor stand and some parts of my PC case to ground. Is the UPS damaged? Can ground damage my PC and monitor?

What do you mean when you say it's causing them to ground? You want all components to be grounded.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

8 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

What do you mean when you say it's causing them to ground? You want all components to be grounded.

I was using an AVR before and now I switched to a UPS it's giving me shocks when I touch my monitor

9 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Are you saying that I want my components grounded (can possibly shock me) because it's good for the computer?

14 minutes ago, Kgords said:

Are you saying that I want my components grounded (can possibly shock me) because it's good for the computer?

He's actually implicitly saying that grounding is not what you think it is. Grounding is what prevents shocks from happening.

What UPS do you have?

11 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

He's actually implicitly saying that grounding is not what you think it is. Grounding is what prevents shocks from happening.

What UPS do you have?

I miss interpreted grounding. Sorry. It is a Secure (brand name) UPS 650VA

12 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

What UPS do you have?

Now that I understand grounding. Can I leave it not grounded as long as I don't touch it? Will it not damage my components if I leave as it is because I'm not creating a static?

7 minutes ago, Kgords said:

I miss interpreted grounding. Sorry. It is a Secure (brand name) UPS 650VA

No need to say sorry 😉

What kind of shocks are you experiencing, and when? Are they continuous shocks, or static shocks?

Does it happen when you touch the parts you mentioned (monitor, PC) on their own, or are you touching something else as well?

5 minutes ago, Kgords said:

Now that I understand grounding. Can I leave it not grounded as long as I don't touch it? Will it not damage my components if I leave as it is because I'm not creating a static?

I think in reality your gear is grounded, because your UPS has ground prongs. Unless those are internally not connected (which would make this product non-compliant), I expect something else is at play here.

Do the shocks also happen when you leave out the UPS altogether, and connect directly to the wall?

10 minutes ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

No need to say sorry 😉

What kind of shocks are you experiencing, and when? Are they continuous shocks, or static shocks?

Does it happen when you touch the parts you mentioned (monitor, PC) on their own, or are you touching something else as well?

I think in reality your gear is grounded, because your UPS has ground prongs. Unless those are internally not connected (which would make this product non-compliant), I expect something else is at play here.

Do the shocks also happen when you leave out the UPS altogether, and connect directly to the wall?

I really think it's static because I just switched back to my original set up and it was still shocking me. Since I don't have the materials right to properly ground everything, my last question will be, is it ok to leave it not properly grounded as long as I don't trigger a static discharge?