Unable to get 4k 60 Hz on my monitor

downloaderfan

Hey all, recently I got the BenQ EW3270U monitor. I have 2 laptops, 1 for work & another for home usage.

Work ThinkPad E490 i7 variant

Home : ASUS Vivobook 15 R542UQ

I've come across a few problems.

Home laptop:

I connected my home laptop (i.e. ASUS Vivobook 15 R542UQ) via HDMI cable(HDMI 2.0b) to the monitor and I'm unable to get it working at 4k 60Hz. It's only at 30 Hz. While I couldn't find the HDMI version of the laptop port in the manual or the internet, I believe this is occurring since it's HDMI 1.4. The laptop has no display port & the 1 type-c port doesn't support displayport alt mode. Is there any adapter via which I can make it work at 4k 60 Hz or is it impossible?

Work laptop:

I connected my work laptop (i.e. ThinkPad E490) via the same HDMI cable to the monitor and again, same problem, 4k at 30Hz due to it being HDMI 1.4. The good thing here is, it has 1 type-c that supports display port alt mode, so I am able to get the monitor working at 4k 60Hz, but now the problem is that I can't charge my laptop since the typc-c port is also used for charging. Is there any adapter that I can buy for a few bucks to be able to charge + stay connected to my monitor?

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

What CPU (and GPU if applicable) do they have? The HDMI port may simply be limited to 30 Hz at 4k resolutions. Adapters are not going to do anything if the port itself can't deliver it in the first place.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

30 minutes ago, downloaderfan said:

Hey all, recently I got the BenQ EW3270U monitor. I have 2 laptops, 1 for work & another for home usage.

Work ThinkPad E490 i7 variant

Home : ASUS Vivobook 15 R542UQ

I've come across a few problems.

Home laptop:

I connected my home laptop (i.e. ASUS Vivobook 15 R542UQ) via HDMI cable(HDMI 2.0b) to the monitor and I'm unable to get it working at 4k 60Hz. It's only at 30 Hz. While I couldn't find the HDMI version of the laptop port in the manual or the internet, I believe this is occurring since it's HDMI 1.4. The laptop has no display port & the 1 type-c port doesn't support displayport alt mode. Is there any adapter via which I can make it work at 4k 60 Hz or is it impossible?

Work laptop:

I connected my work laptop (i.e. ThinkPad E490) via the same HDMI cable to the monitor and again, same problem, 4k at 30Hz due to it being HDMI 1.4. The good thing here is, it has 1 type-c that supports display port alt mode, so I am able to get the monitor working at 4k 60Hz, but now the problem is that I can't charge my laptop since the typc-c port is also used for charging. Is there any adapter that I can buy for a few bucks to be able to charge + stay connected to my monitor?

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

As Tikker says, does the laptop support 60hz?

40 minutes ago, downloaderfan said:

Is there any adapter via which I can make it work at 4k 60 Hz or is it impossible?

Your laptop is 7th or 8th gen Intel and don't support 4K60 over HDMI.

43 minutes ago, downloaderfan said:

Is there any adapter that I can buy for a few bucks to be able to charge + stay connected to my monitor?

USB-C hub with power delivery but that's more than a few bucks.

25 minutes ago, tikker said:

What CPU (and GPU if applicable) do they have? The HDMI port may simply be limited to 30 Hz at 4k resolutions. Adapters are not going to do anything if the port itself can't deliver it in the first place.

22 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

As Tikker says, does the laptop support 60hz?

Work Laptop : 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8565U & Discrete AMD Radeon RX 550X, 2GB

Home Laptop : 7th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-7200U & NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, 2GB

17 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Would this work?

12 minutes ago, downloaderfan said:

So, they output at 60hz?

10 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

So, they output at 60hz?

Yes, both CPUs do at 4k.

2 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Wow, that's like 40% the cost of the monitor itself. 😞 I was not expecting so much for an adapter.

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

by Displayport, yes. By HDMI 4K30 is the max resolution.

I think you've nailed it.

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

by Displayport, yes. By HDMI 4K30 is the max resolution.

I guess I'm screwed then as far as my home laptop goes as it has no display port. 😑

13 minutes ago, downloaderfan said:

Yes, both CPUs do at 4k.

As SID has intimated, the HDMI signal may not be able to provide 4k60 - but DisplayPort will.

P.S Is that why pc rigs connect to gaming monitors via DisplayPort and not HDMI?

2 hours ago, downloaderfan said:

Both CPUs are limited to 4096x2304@24Hz over HDMI according to Intel's Ark page. I'm guessing the output comes from the iGPU, so you can only get 4k 60 Hz when using DisplayPort or DisplayPort alt-mode from the other connection.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, --SID-- said:

1 more question. Shouldn't USB C power the monitor + charge my laptop at the same time? My friend who has a macbook pro says it does charge his device. Does the thinkpad lack something that prevents this? Note that the thinkpad has no separate port and primarily uses it's 1 type c port for charging.