Downgrading Ryzen CPU

Hi Guys,

Something which I have never done but am considered is downgrading a 3600 to something a bit less powerful for use as a basic Office computer. I already started a thread considering selling my 3060ti (done) then putting in something crappy.

I then had a brainwave that I could potentially take out the 3600, local computer shop will prob give me £100 for it and then I could potentially get an a CPU with integrated graphics at minimal cost. 

First question and probably a stupid one is whether I can just remove one CPU (with integrated graphics) and install the other (with basic iGPU). Will the HDMI port on the Mobo then just start working? I will be used for desk work only and only to dial in the the work Virtual desktop, so doesn't need to have any real power. 

So options are:

Replace the 3060ti with something basic like a 1030 as suggested in another thread (Still £70 though new)

Or get an integrated CPU/GPU, swap them out and sell the 3600.

Whats the nearest Ryzen with integrated graphics to the 3600? Not the 3600G Preferably going down a bit. I know I get get a 3600G for about £190-200 but was really looking for one closer to £120. Could sell the 3600 then and not lose any money. PC will be all SSD internals so doesn't need a beast of a CPU. 

Looking for options and the prices are all over the place so would love a few suggestions for budget Ryzens with integrated graphics. 

Its all going into the pot to buy myself a 3080ti so all cost savins appreciated!

Have changed a processor for an eternity but sure i can manage it unless anything has changed. 

Advice welcome

Looked on a few places for 2400G, 2600G and the prices are insane. Like £400 which I just don't believe can be right?

I recently paid £450 for a 5900X so seems a little steep!

2 hours ago, irishbeast said:

Looked on a few places for 2400G, 2600G and the prices are insane. Like £400 which I just don't believe can be right?

I recently paid £450 for a 5900X so seems a little steep!

The 2400G and 3400G have been heavily scalped for months now. The 5600G is usually found new for cheaper while also being way better.

Also, if you can wait a few weeks, the 4600G is supposed to launch for just $154 on April 4, which should give you decent performance for a very reasonable price.

If you don't need a ton of power just sell your whole system for loadsamoney and get a used Haswell office computer.  Buy a 120GB SSD for your OS and keep whatever HDD it has for file storage.  You'll probably end up with a whole-ass system for under $50.  Anything not gaming is gonna run at the speed of a click on any core i computer, as even newer laptop chips have been nalahem speeds or slower but people still use them jsut fine even in 2022. 

I got my mom an HP with a 4570 and 16GB of RAM for literally $20 on craigslist and it had a firmware fTPM for windows 11, and runs at the speed of a click even with tons of browsers and huge excel sheets open.

Haswell or newer should usually have firmware fTPM, but you CAN install windows 11 with older chips so long as you make your installation media with Rufus and choose the TPMcheck skip version of 11 and just update it from there.  It works totally fine, I did it on a system with an i3 3240 and it ran great.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Slight change of plan and worked out really well for me!

I sold by 3060ti, and and old redundant monitor so made a few £ which was nice. 

A pal happened to be selling a geforce 770 and only wanted £30 so whacked that in there and its working a treat. So its now the office computer. I think I will be removing all the sames from it and taking a 1TB drive out of it for my main gaming rig. 

Thanks for all the very helpful responses but think this is a pretty good outcome. I didn't even want tto pay £70-80 for a GPU that just runs windows. Thats literally all it will need to do, Windows and be able to open video files

Just got problems with my flippin internet now but thats another thread!