Intel SR1XR Xeon E5-2660 V3 2.60GHz CPU based cheap system

Hello, 

I am looking for any help in finding a micro-ATX motherboard compatible with this CPU for a mid-range workstation.

Idealy the motherboard would have at least 2x pcie3x16 slots, and 1 M.2 and at least 6 sata ports.

Idealy below £150 on the used market

Any help would be grately appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!
Unless you already bought a CPU I would recommend buying an HP z420 or z600 or something along those lines. Pretty cheap and reliable on lower end sides. Can get them with RAM, PSU, CPU, perhaps even a HDD and Quadro videocard for a couple hundred

Else you'd be looking at something like this

Amazon.com: MACHINIST X79 Desktop Motherboard, LGA 2011 Micro ATX Gaming Motherboard with NVME M.2 Support 4 Channels DDR3 ECC RAM, SATA 3.0, Intel i7 Xeon E5 V1 V2 Processor : Electronics

which you're just not getting the same quality. 

19 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Unless you already bought a CPU I would recommend buying an HP z420 or z600 or something along those lines.

Agreed. At your price point, you should be able to find an entire used machine with some patience. Since you have a V3 CPU, it should work in any of them right away. (V4 CPUs usually need a BIOS update to work.)

HP Zx40 is their Haswell/Broadwell workstation generation. Zx20 was Sandy/Ivy Bridge. (And the Z240 uses LGA1151 instead of LGA2011-3.) The Dell equivalent is the Precision 5810/7810/7910.

As I understand, you'd need an X99 or C612 based board if you wanted to go the no-name recycled chipset board route, because the DDR3 platforms don't support V3 and V4 CPUs.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I currently don't have that CPU, I have an AMD Phenon(tm) II X4 925 @ 2.8GHz and some Asus motherboard I think that I am looking to upgrade. I ideally need around the 8-10 core mark. I have all the other parts. 

Again, thanks for the help

17 minutes ago, DaChezePufz said:

I currently don't have that CPU, I have an AMD Phenon(tm) II X4 925 @ 2.8GHz and some Asus motherboard I think that I am looking to upgrade. I ideally need around the 8-10 core mark. I have all the other parts. 

Again, thanks for the help

That's the beauty of LGA2011-3, it opens up a world of relatively cheap, high core count CPUs that are still reasonably performant.

The only thing you'll lose out on if you go with a used workstation is M.2 on the motherboard, but you can fix that with an inexpensive PCIe riser.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

Agreed but for reference the Xeon he picked is V3 which is LGA2011-3 not LGA2011 so he would need a motherboard with either the X99 or C612 chipset. X79/C602 are incompatible.

I'd send him to eBay for either a barebones workstation from Dell/HPE or recommend a used ASRock Rack/Supermicro motherboard. Better compatibility as my experience running Xeons on consumer motherboards can be flaky even if they're on the QVL.