Using old router as wifi extender is it possible?

Glitchy Guy

I have an old NETGEAR WGT624 v2 router i found it in my apartment when i bought it. and i removed it out today to try and extend my wifi from, my room till the drawing room but all the videos i watched did not help me. Is it even possible? If it is possible wht do i need to do. would appreciate any help pls.

10 minutes ago, Glitchy Guy said:

I have an old NETGEAR WGT624 v2 router i found it in my apartment when i bought it. and i removed it out today to try and extend my wifi from, my room till the drawing room but all the videos i watched did not help me. Is it even possible? If it is possible wht do i need to do. would appreciate any help pls.

Yes, that is possible in multiple ways: 

1. You install DD-WRT on the router and set it up as a repeater. This has the benefit, that you don't need additional hardware, BUT you have to flash the router and you are sharing the (maybe already) slow wifi connection.
  2. You buy a cheap (because your routers wifi is already slow, so you won't need a high speed adapter) D-LAN adapter pair, I would choose TP-link, and connect the router via D-LAN to your main router. This has the benefit, that you have a stable backbone. Then setup the netgear router with the same SSID and password, BUT a different wifi channel. This will make the AP selection transparent for you devices. 

36 minutes ago, shark7760 said:

Yes, that is possible in multiple ways: 

1. You install DD-WRT on the router and set it up as a repeater. This has the benefit, that you don't need additional hardware, BUT you have to flash the router and you are sharing the (maybe already) slow wifi connection.
  2. You buy a cheap (because your routers wifi is already slow, so you won't need a high speed adapter) D-LAN adapter pair, I would choose TP-link, and connect the router via D-LAN to your main router. This has the benefit, that you have a stable backbone. Then setup the netgear router with the same SSID and password, BUT a different wifi channel. This will make the AP selection transparent for you devices. 

DD-WRT? whts tht? and u mean sharing publicly?

I am really sorry, but DD-WRT doesn't seem to be an option: https://superuser.com/questions/123393/how-to-change-the-firmware-of-my-netgear-wgt624-v2-to-dd-wrt also openWRT is not compatible. I overlooked that on my really quick google search.

So path 1 is not an option, but path 2 is still worth to try, because this will definitely work and is way easier to setup. 

1 hour ago, shark7760 said:

I am really sorry, but DD-WRT doesn't seem to be an option: https://superuser.com/questions/123393/how-to-change-the-firmware-of-my-netgear-wgt624-v2-to-dd-wrt also openWRT is not compatible. I overlooked that on my really quick google search.

So path 1 is not an option, but path 2 is still worth to try, because this will definitely work and is way easier to setup. 

oh thanks for your help