Wifi signal bad in my room.

IShyGuyI

I live in California and for some reason the WiFi signal in my room is bad. I wanted to get a WiFi range extender but I don't know which one is good. I tried a power-line one but it was slower than my WiFi and then it just died on me. My budget is around $30 ish but that is somewhat flexible. Any recommendations?

I can't speak for range extenders, but if there is a brick wall between your room and your router, that would explain it. Also any structure with a lot of steel in it would cause this.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

9 minutes ago, PcGaming said:

I live in California and for some reason the WiFi signal in my room is bad. I wanted to get a WiFi range extender but I don't know which one is good. I tried a power-line one but it was slower than my WiFi and then it just died on me. My budget is around $30 ish but that is somewhat flexible. Any recommendations?

Typically, an extender is also going to have to relay the signal, causing slightly slower speeds and slower ping.

All the range extenders I have used are by Linksys and have for the most part worked.

I own the RE4000W (which has two Ethernet ports on the bottom) and I have also used the RE3000W (one Ethernet port) extensively.

You can get a refurbished RE4000W on AMZN here for $19: https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RE4000W-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B00U1M8LIU/

The better option, if you at all could, would be to set up an access point either near your room or in your room.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, An0maly_76 said:

I can't speak for range extenders, but if there is a brick wall between your room and your router, that would explain it. Also any structure with a lot of steel in it would cause this.

no brick just walls just normal ones. My room is in a corner of the house

Does your router have multiple Ethernet ports? Perhaps you might be able to run a Cat 5 or whatever to your room -- in the ceiling / under floor maybe?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Does your router have multiple Ethernet ports? Perhaps you might be able to run a Cat 5 or whatever to your room -- in the ceiling / under floor maybe?

It does but attic has blown in insulation so that's a no go and we have tile so can't do that either. But for some reason when i had the powerline adapter it was super slow. Will it be faster if i connect it directly? Also i could run it outside the house then back into my room but i will need about 80 ft. Do you know if that will that cause some drop off?

On 3/17/2022 at 4:00 PM, birdflyer said:

Typically, an extender is also going to have to relay the signal, causing slightly slower speeds and slower ping.

All the range extenders I have used are by Linksys and have for the most part worked.

I own the RE4000W (which has two Ethernet ports on the bottom) and I have also used the RE3000W (one Ethernet port) extensively.

You can get a refurbished RE4000W on AMZN here for $19: https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RE4000W-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/dp/B00U1M8LIU/

The better option, if you at all could, would be to set up an access point either near your room or in your room.

How would i go about setting up an access point? What do i need?

5 minutes ago, PcGaming said:

It does but attic has blown in insulation so that's a no go and we have tile so can't do that either. But for some reason when i had the powerline adapter it was super slow. Will it be faster if i connect it directly? Also i could run it outside the house then back into my room but i will need about 80 ft. Do you know if that will that cause some drop off?

Direct Ethernet connection will be faster, yes. Can't say for strength across distances, but I'm not sure 80 ft is enough to worry about. I'm pretty sure there is high-speed Cat 5 for longer runs if you are concerned about this. If you have to run it outside, be sure to encase it in a run of PVC pipe or something to protect it.

Personally, if possible, I would run back down through the wall, underfloor, then back up into the wall of the room you are trying to get it to. Much cleaner and less exposed.

Edited by An0maly_76

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Direct Ethernet connection will be faster, yes. Can't say for strength across distances, but I'm not sure 80 ft is enough to worry about. I'm pretty sure there is high-speed Cat 5 for longer runs if you are concerned about this. If you have to run it outside, be sure to encase it in a run of PVC pipe or something to protect it.

Will do thanks for the help.

2 minutes ago, PcGaming said:

Will do thanks for the help.

I added too late to my post that I would just run back down through the wall near the router, under the house and back up through the wall of the room you're trying to get to... Using these...  They come in one and two port designs.

51UQ16Z+cAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 hours ago, PcGaming said:

How would i go about setting up an access point? What do i need?

You would run an Ethernet cable somewhat near your room (preferably in your room) then hook up pretty much any working router you can find. I suggest looking at a local second-hand store.

Basically, you are setting up another point for your phone or computer to connect too. If you can at all get a wired connection to your computer though, it would by far be the best option.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

As long as you are under 300ft, you are fine without a repeater/extender. You could technically have a max length of 368 ft for cat5e cat6 and cat6a without and signal degradation (with a good cable), but it depends on temperatures and other variables.

It's not like you are running POE or anything, so pretty much any RJ45 compatible cat cable should do the job. Do some research on whether or not it would be cheaper for you to buy the cable and ends separately or buy pre-assembled ones. (you may need a tool to crimp the end of the cat cable if you decide to make it yourself. Make sure to do research on the specific RJ45 ends you buy to see what you need.)

@PcGaming

If you can run ethernet directly from the router or internet gateway to your PC, that would give you the fastest and most reliable connection. You don't need a separate access point at your PC if your PC already has an NIC for direct plug-in. However, if you also need WiFi at the PC, a wireless router converted to run in AP mode provides both wired and wireless connectivity.

When running ethernet outdoors, take note of how much length you'll need (try to stay under 100m), any snags along the course of the run (avoid sharp bends, etc), the type of cable (Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a) and whether or not you need outdoor-rated cable. Outdoor-rated ethernet is a bit more expensive than the regular alternative, but you only need to consider outdoor-rated if the cable will be directly exposed to the elements. Some protection for the regular version can be provided by running within conduit.

On 3/19/2022 at 9:17 AM, Falcon1986 said:

@PcGaming

If you can run ethernet directly from the router or internet gateway to your PC, that would give you the fastest and most reliable connection. You don't need a separate access point at your PC if your PC already has an NIC for direct plug-in. However, if you also need WiFi at the PC, a wireless router converted to run in AP mode provides both wired and wireless connectivity.

When running ethernet outdoors, take note of how much length you'll need (try to stay under 100m), any snags along the course of the run (avoid sharp bends, etc), the type of cable (Cat5e, Cat6, Cat6a) and whether or not you need outdoor-rated cable. Outdoor-rated ethernet is a bit more expensive than the regular alternative, but you only need to consider outdoor-rated if the cable will be directly exposed to the elements. Some protection for the regular version can be provided by running within conduit.

Thanks for the clarification. (I am so bad with words. lol)