Need To Replace PSU on a low budget - What do you recommend?

KaraTheNeko

PC Specs:
gigabyte B450M DS3H

GTX 1660 Super

AMD Ryzen 5 26000

2x8GB T-FORCE DDR4 3200

I need to replace it because while playing space engineers, it will suddenly hard shut down.  Sometimes I feel low voltage electricity flowing through metal parts of my setup (mic, tower thumb screws, etc).

uh that's like really bad. You probably need an electrician to check out your wiring. Does your pc still turn on.

36 minutes ago, KaraTheNeko said:

Sometimes I feel low voltage electricity flowing through metal parts of my setup (mic, tower thumb screws, etc).

You've got a bad ground which means something horrible has happened to your PSU. 
What's your budget and where are you located?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 hours ago, gamagama69 said:

uh that's like really bad. You probably need an electrician to check out your wiring. Does your pc still turn on.

It does turn on, and its low voltage, so it cant be before the PSU.

3 hours ago, OddOod said:

You've got a bad ground which means something horrible has happened to your PSU. 
What's your budget and where are you located?

300-500 Budget, US.

For that get a 850W seasonic focus gold. You won't need a replacement PSU for 7 years. 

https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SSR-850FX-Modular-Warranty-Compact/dp/B073H3ZZQZ

Also toss in a Cyberpower 1500VA UPS to protect your PC from whatever absolute nightmare is causing your PC and its peripherals to carry a charge which is 100000% not a good thing.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 hours ago, OddOod said:

Also toss in a Cyberpower 1500VA UPS to protect your PC from whatever absolute nightmare is causing your PC and its peripherals to carry a charge which is 100000% not a good thing.

Umm....   Yeah.  No.

If the user can feel leakage current because their outlet isn't grounded, "tossing in a UPS" isn't going to solve that.

.... there are a multitude of reasons the case might be carrying a charge, many of which will be mitigated by a ups. Can you highlight a harm in taking that action? If not, what was your goal in that comment?

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

there are a multitude of reasons the case might be carrying a charge, many of which will be mitigated by a ups

Well, no. literally the only reason for this is a floating case, which means an improper ground.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

17 hours ago, OddOod said:

.... there are a multitude of reasons the case might be carrying a charge, many of which will be mitigated by a ups. Can you highlight a harm in taking that action? If not, what was your goal in that comment?

First off, a UPS doesn't create an Earth ground when there isn't one there in the first place.  Second, a standby or line interactive (which is just standby + AVR) UPS is passive.  Meaning your PC is directly connected to the mains UNTIL there is a power failure and that is when the DC to AC converter kicks in. If you want to isolate your PC from the mains, you would use an online UPS, which is not something you can buy for < $600.

So you're saying that true sine UPS' which are readily available for sub 200 in the US aren't cleaning up the power at all?
And OP doesn't care about the charge, they want to not have the thing shut down. for 500 bucks they should get a 1500VA UPS and an 800W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. End of story. 

2 hours ago, OddOod said:

So you're saying that true sine UPS' which are readily available for sub 200 in the US aren't cleaning up the power at all?
And OP doesn't care about the charge, they want to not have the thing shut down. for 500 bucks they should get a 1500VA UPS and an 800W Seasonic Focus Plus Gold. End of story. 

"Pure sine" only defines the output of power of the UPS while the UPS is on battery.  Pure sine is not a topology.  A sub-$200 pure sine UPS is still a standby UPS.  Not online.  If you believed otherwise, you were misled. 

And I didn't make up the term "leakage current".  It's a normal thing and you do feel electricity if there is no ground.  Which a UPS isn't going to create. 

To eliminate EMI, you put a capacitor between the neutral and live inside the PSU.  This then sends current to the PSU housing, which is attached to the earth ground wire.  If the current has no earth to go to, it goes to the user and they feel a tingle if they're barefoot. 

It's why the Donkey Kong at the water park  shocked me when I dropped a quarter in it between going down the slide and why the aluminum housing of the 1st gen Razer blade would shock you if you used it barefoot.  It's a thing. 

On 3/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, KaraTheNeko said:

PC Specs:
gigabyte B450M DS3H

GTX 1660 Super

AMD Ryzen 5 26000

2x8GB T-FORCE DDR4 3200

I need to replace it because while playing space engineers, it will suddenly hard shut down.  Sometimes I feel low voltage electricity flowing through metal parts of my setup (mic, tower thumb screws, etc).

You don't need a huge PSU like an 850w for that build, but that's a substantial budget.  You could easily get a super high quality 650W for half your budget.