My first time building PC - is there anything I should know / change

Go to solution Solved by RAS_3885,

3 intake in front and one rear exhaust is totally fine.

This is my planned build

CPU: i5-12400f (stock cooler)

MOTHERBOARD: Asrock b660m-hdv

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, 16GB (2x8GB), DDR4 3600MHz, CL18

GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX6600

HDD: WD Blue (3.5", 2TB, SATA3 6Gb/s, 256MB Cache, 7200rpm)

SSD (already have one): Samsung SSD 860 evo 500 GB

PSU: Corsair, RM650, 650W, 80+ Gold, modular

CASE: Zalman M3 Plus, Mini Tower

What concerns me the most is the default configuration of fans that come with the case. There are 3 large intake fans in front, but only one in the back. Would that be a problem? I could put few fans in top, but you know, I already have 4 fans which should be fine for this setup, as I've heard RX6600 runs very cool. I won't be doing any overclocking (I'm 1080p gamer, don't need it). Do you have any other suggestions? I was thinking if I should buy an M.2 nvme SSD, but I concluded that performance increase would be very little and as I already have good quality SSD, I figured I would just use that.

Regards

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

16 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

Thank you!

15 hours ago, jaslion said:

Instead of trying to add fans which aren't needed just get a simple cooler for the i5. A hyper 212 class cooler like a vetroo v5 is more than enough.

I was thinking 'bout that, but do I really need it? I mean my current CPU is i5-4460 and with stock cooler it stays at 70 °C max. I've heard that 12th gen is hotter, but then again the stock cooler is supposedly more effective (altough louder which I don't mind). I won't unlock power limit or anything as I want to preserve CPU as much as I can and I think the performance will be more than enough for 1080p gaming.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Would go with the MSI PRO B660M-A if it's not too much more. Has better VRM's for future upgradeability 

This motherboard is 70$ more here in Croatia (everything is very expensive here XD). I was first thinking about some Z690, but then I figured Intel changes sockets every other year, by the time I need an upgrade, I will need to upgrade CPU which won't be possible with this LGA1700 socket motherboard. So I decided I won't get expensive motherboard as what I build now will pretty much stay the same for like 4-5 years.

51 minutes ago, DarkLord76865 said:

I was thinking 'bout that, but do I really need it? I mean my current CPU is i5-4460 and with stock cooler it stays at 70 °C max. I've heard that 12th gen is hotter, but then again the stock cooler is supposedly more effective (altough louder which I don't mind). I won't unlock power limit or anything as I want to preserve CPU as much as I can and I think the performance will be more than enough for 1080p gaming.

There is basically no improvement in the stock cooler over the last one just a bit more quiet.

You don't need to worry about the power limit unlocking and all. If you manage to kill a cpu that way you have a skill. Cpu's are the most resilient part in a computer. So don't worry about it.