Ipad Mini 64GB for 530€ vs Galaxy Tab S8 + keyboard cover + Galaxy Tab A8 for 630€

Hello,

I'd like to get a tablet, I don't really need it, but I'd like to get one. I already have gaming desktop pc, 6 years old not very portable 15.6" gaming laptop (which I still use for work when I'm not home) and a "small" phone pixel 3a and I'm getting a galaxy s22 soon.

As you can see I'm not in the apple ecosystem.

I'd like to get a tablet to use around the house, in bed (my laptop gets too hot) and for when I travel or for when I don't need a full pc when I'm around.

My main use would be: youtube, netflix, movies, web browsing, social medias and discord, reading e-books and why not some gaming.

IPAD MINI
PROS: very portable I'd easily carry it everywhere, perfect size for reading, better app optimization than on android, longer support (I guess at least 6 years), cheaper, brighter display for use outside of home, minor but it has better games or better optimized games than android (afaik), center stage (not that important really)
CONS: only 64GB (is it enough?), smaller display for media consumption and general use, Ipad OS isn't that well optimized on the Mini in terms of UI sizing, extra money if I want the pen, jelly scrolling, no vanced youtube (goated app I love it)

GALAXY TAB S8
PROS: Bigger storage and basically unlimited storage for movies on the sd if I travel, bigger (and good) display is better to watch movies and general use overall, 120Hz refresh rate, you get a pen and a keyboard (but no trackpad, idk how it is to use a tablet with keyboard but no trackpad), you get another tablet that I hope I could sell for 150€ at least, so total cost could go to 480€ but I'd probably get the 45W charger for 45€ so 525€ total (same as Ipad mini), samsung dex can make it more similar to a pc use, better multitasking, better internal camera placement (not that important really), youtube vanced, I have an android phone and I will have a galaxy s22 soon.
CONS: Less portable, probably too big for reading and especially out of home like at the beach (what do you think, is it too big?), less bright screen for outside use, worse app optimization (like discord is terrible afaik), less years of support (4 vs the many of the ipad), worse selection of games and less optimized games (none of the famous games runs at 120fps).

Considering these things and what products I already own, what would you pick and why?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, leyo96 said:

Hello,

I'd like to get a tablet, I don't really need it, but I'd like to get one. I already have gaming desktop pc, 6 years old not very portable 15.6" gaming laptop (which I still use for work when I'm not home) and a "small" phone pixel 3a and I'm getting a galaxy s22 soon.

As you can see I'm not in the apple ecosystem.

I'd like to get a tablet to use around the house, in bed (my laptop gets too hot) and for when I travel or for when I don't need a full pc when I'm around.

My main use would be: youtube, netflix, movies, web browsing, social medias and discord, reading e-books and why not some gaming.

IPAD MINI
PROS: very portable I'd easily carry it everywhere, perfect size for reading, better app optimization than on android, longer support (I guess at least 6 years), cheaper, brighter display for use outside of home, minor but it has better games or better optimized games than android (afaik), center stage (not that important really)
CONS: only 64GB (is it enough?), smaller display for media consumption and general use, Ipad OS isn't that well optimized on the Mini in terms of UI sizing, extra money if I want the pen, jelly scrolling, no vanced youtube (goated app I love it)

GALAXY TAB S8
PROS: Bigger storage and basically unlimited storage for movies on the sd if I travel, bigger (and good) display is better to watch movies and general use overall, 120Hz refresh rate, you get a pen and a keyboard (but no trackpad, idk how it is to use a tablet with keyboard but no trackpad), you get another tablet that I hope I could sell for 150€ at least, so total cost could go to 480€ but I'd probably get the 45W charger for 45€ so 525€ total (same as Ipad mini), samsung dex can make it more similar to a pc use, better multitasking, better internal camera placement (not that important really), youtube vanced, I have an android phone and I will have a galaxy s22 soon.
CONS: Less portable, probably too big for reading and especially out of home like at the beach (what do you think, is it too big?), less bright screen for outside use, worse app optimization (like discord is terrible afaik), less years of support (4 vs the many of the ipad), worse selection of games and less optimized games (none of the famous games runs at 120fps).

Considering these things and what products I already own, what would you pick and why?

Thanks

It really boils down to screen size. If that wasn't an issue, I'd choose the iPad mini. Faster, stronger tablet app ecosystem, you get the idea. But it really depends on what you see doing most often — the iPad mini would be the better pick for reading or a "shove in the bag" tablet you'll always have with you, but the Tab S8 will be more useful if you mostly expect to watch videos or multitask and can afford the space. The harmony with the S22 might help, although it might be nice to try a different OS if you haven't used Apple gear in a long time.

An 11-inch tablet isn't huge; you do have to accommodate it, but you don't need a full-size laptop bag. It's easy enough to hold for watching a video in bed during a commute. But you'd really, really want the iPad mini if you intend to hold your tablet one-handed or stick it into an already crowded bag.

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It really boils down to screen size. If that wasn't an issue, I'd choose the iPad mini. Faster, stronger tablet app ecosystem, you get the idea. But it really depends on what you see doing most often — the iPad mini would be the better pick for reading or a "shove in the bag" tablet you'll always have with you, but the Tab S8 will be more useful if you mostly expect to watch videos or multitask and can afford the space. The harmony with the S22 might help, although it might be nice to try a different OS if you haven't used Apple gear in a long time.

An 11-inch tablet isn't huge; you do have to accommodate it, but you don't need a full-size laptop bag. It's easy enough to hold for watching a video in bed during a commute. But you'd really, really want the iPad mini if you intend to hold your tablet one-handed or stick it into an already crowded bag.

The 64 GBs really put me off plus IpadOS for the mini isn't that well optimized. I don't plan to do any serious work since I have a desktop and laptop, even tho my laptop isn't that portable so if I can bring a tablet sometimes instead of that it woud be helpful

I went through this song and dance myself some months ago, and I ended up going for the iPad (though a different model) because Android tablets are sadly second class options in the ecosystem.

Don't let the lack of YouTube Vanced sway you at all - it's literally been C&D'd out of existence as of *very* recently.

23 minutes ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

Don't let the lack of YouTube Vanced sway you at all - it's literally been C&D'd out of existence as of *very* recently.

I downloaded the apk in a last minute save 😉 lol
I know apps on android are inferior on a tablet but the mini as well isn't that well optimized and samsung dex is nice. What do you think?

An old boss had a Dex compatible device, and it wasn't all that great IMO.  I'm unsure what kinds of optimizations are missing from the mini, to be perfectly honest.

1 minute ago, SydneyBrokeIt said:

An old boss had a Dex compatible device, and it wasn't all that great IMO.  I'm unsure what kinds of optimizations are missing from the mini, to be perfectly honest.

all the UI is a scaled down version of the bigger one so the icons and text are too small. Not expected from Apple honestly but they could fix it

iPad 64GB has ~50GB usable space - It is plenty for 'regular' usage. I doubt you will be media hoarding since you have other devices, so a few games and a couple of movies for offline viewing won't fill it up at all. Genshin Impact is 4GB, RockstarGames are 1-3GB... there is also Divinity OS2 which is 18GB, but it is not officially/fully supported on 2021 Pad Mini.

Absence of Apple eco-sys is not a deal breaker in such usage. Apps, performance and longevity are still there.

For Jelly-scrolling you have to go to the store and see it for yourself, I don't think it is a big deal.

High refresh rate is nice to have, and somewhat 'a given' in 2022 for some, however it is an overhyped feature for a device that is mostly used portably either for static content viewing or general media consumption.

Screen size and Apple Pen might be a deal breaker for you.

You probably can get away with watching movies/tv shows on the mini while laying on a couch, however taking a LOT of notes and drawing might be not as enjoyable on the small screen (i.e. daily heavy notetaking during lectures on my 10.5" iPad Pro sometimes made me wonder how much easier it would be on a 12").

12 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

For Jelly-scrolling you have to go to the store and see it for yourself,

I tried and it's very noticeable if you scroll fast, not a deal breaker for me

High refresh rate is nice to have, and somewhat 'a given' in 2022 for some, however it is an overhyped feature for a device that is mostly used portably either for static content viewing or general media consumption.

Yeah I totally agree and games on the s8 don't even run at 120 fps and for regular use it's not so big of a difference. I have a 155hz monitor and see no difference in regular use to the other 60hz.

Screen size and Apple Pen might be a deal breaker for you.

I barely take notes on paper so not an issue for me. I suck at handwriting and I hate it so not a problem. Screen size is a plus and a minus.

As far as space I think I should be fine then.

Do you suggest the mini over the s8 then?

17 hours ago, leyo96 said:

Do you suggest the mini over the s8 then?

I have no experience with any Android tablets, so I can't truly compare.

However, I do believe that overall iPad experience is great. So unless you specifically need an Android and/or bigger size, go for the iPad. You've got your phone, your laptop, now you'll get something in the middle, also will be able to check out what iOS/iPadOS is. Who knows, maybe access to all platforms and apps might get handy.

3 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

I have no experience with any Android tablets, so I can't truly compare.

However, I do believe that overall iPad experience is great. So unless you specifically need an Android and/or bigger size, go for the iPad. You've got your phone, your laptop, now you'll get something in the middle, also will be able to check out what iOS/iPadOS is. Who knows, maybe access to all platforms and apps might get handy.

Thank you, I'll take it in consideration!!