Need advice for first PC build.

Go to solution Solved by Marhier,

I just put your spec in PC Park Picker, but added an RTX 3060 Ti and it came to under $2,000.00
Add a Quest 2 in there and you've got on, or just under your budget, providing you can get them parts at those prices.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Marhier/saved/#view=RCmDjX

There's a bit you could do to save some money there though.
You could go for a Ryzen 5600X processor, which will take off about $100.00
You don't have to go for a 970 Evo for the NVMe.

This is based on that you can get the parts at the prices listed and if they're in stock.
I'm in the UK, so bit harder for me to say, but where I am, stock is showing in most retaliers now of all these parts.

Budget (including currency): $2300 (I might save up a bit more if needed).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming - Specifically playing iRacing, Project CARS 2, Forza Horizon 5, etc. (Like, demanding games yo)

Other details Before i write this down, i want to clarify that i'm planning on using VR for iRacing and Project CARS 2, then use a single monitor for Forza Horizon 5 and literally any other game. It's worth noting that i already own a VR Headset and a Steering Wheel (and recently also got my hands on a Dualsense gamepad and even a DeathAdder V2 mouse), i'm also running on Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit (Windows 11 seems to be a bit of a mess right now if word of mouth is anything to go by, maybe wait until a new OS comes out hmm?), so i can focus on the specs of the PC and monitor itself, as you can see, i really like playing racing sims.

------  You can skip this wall of text. ------

With all being said, i'm planning this to be a long-term build because prices have gotten horribly high these days, so it's more of asking if there's literally, for example, perhaps a better GPU, CPU, Case, Hard Drive, etc. that i can use in my build, doesn't matter if it's a bit more expensive if that's the case, but yeah, this will definetly be done by waiting for sales over the next months, maybe years until the prices start dropping to normal amounts but still have something that will last a while... and also perhaps grab them while on sale lol.

It's the first time i look up for parts and i am aware that there's lots of factors that can influence performance (which is why i'm asking here lmao) as for other uses besides gaming, it won't be for streaming, but, ironically, instead to also have stuff like Discord opened up just to talk to someone, not really thinking of having Chrome open because it somehow consumes more memory than actual (older) games (at least from what i saw in Task Manager anyway, might get a Terabyte of ram to open those Chrome tabs at this point 😛).

----- End of boring details. ------

On to the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5 GHz.

Cooler (i think i messed up here lol): Cooler Master Hyper T2 54.8.

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard.

RAM: (32 GB Total): G Skill Ripjaw V - DDR4-3600 - CL19-20-20-30 1.35V - 8GB of RAM each stick (It will be set up on a (4 x 8 GB) configuration).

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD Drive.

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card.

Case (proabably the most controversial choice): Fractal Design Meshify C - ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850 W

Monitor: Asus VG248QG - 24.0" - 1920x1080 - 165 Hz

Final Note: Apologies if this sounds like a dream build, but the reality is that i really saved up that much to consider building it (and i know that you're not supposed to flip the case upside down to see if the RAM stick is properly in place, those clicks when pushing those sticks in their slots are already anxiety inducing thank you very much), specially after getting the other peripherals lmao. I just need pointers basically, like suggestions if some parts are actually crap tier quality and there are higher quality stuff i could use that would last longer and so on, or perhaps just built more competently :P, maybe could turn out to be cheaper or a bit more expensive, but who cares, i'm already spending a lot so i want to do it right, so any help is always appreciated, thanks!

And yes, i got that DualSense, Mouse, etc. by literally waiting for that stuff to be on sale, it's been a long-term kind of thing like i said, so i can wait for the prices to drop for the computer parts in a few years there i guess... if ever eh?

-ThePlayer

What VR headset are you using out of interest, and do visuals matter as much to you?

I play a lot of Project Cars 2, and enjoy whacking the graphics settings up for immersion.
Not sure a 1070 would be that good if you're wanting the visuals and frame rate...
Racing sims, frame rate is very important.

5 minutes ago, ThePlayer said:

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5 GHz.

you could bump up the cpu up to 12th gen. maybe something like the i7 12700k. this would give you better performance whilst being the same price or cheaper.

I did this build for around $2700, but prices have changed since then, some lower.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, Marhier said:

What VR headset are you using out of interest, and do visuals matter as much to you?

I play a lot of Project Cars 2, and enjoy whacking the graphics settings up for immersion.
Not sure a 1070 would be that good if you're wanting the visuals and frame rate...
Racing sims, frame rate is very important.

So, i come from console, which means that i'm using the Playstation VR headset, hey, perhaps there are better options hm?

As for visuals, honestly just enough so i can see far ahead instead of seeing pixelated, jaggy stuff ahead to the point of being able to tell if it's a 100m marker or 500m marker (driving with myopia sucks).

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

but prices have changed since then

yeah, that 3060ti has really increased tho

3 minutes ago, ThePlayer said:

So, i come from console, which means that i'm using the Playstation VR headset, hey, perhaps there are better options hm?

As for visuals, honestly just enough so i can see far ahead instead of seeing pixelated, jaggy stuff ahead to the point of being able to tell if it's a 100m marker or 500m marker (driving with myopia sucks).

You won't be able to use your PSVR headset on your PC I'm afraid mate.
Well, you might be able to, but I don't think it's officially supported; functionality will depend on third-party software, and I doubt there's any tracking support.
Also, the visuals in that thing are just terrible IMO.

I use the Quest 2... It's affordable, has a great, high res display and can run up to 120Hz.

If your budgets is $2,300, I would suggest using something like PC part Picker to do a build and see what the best prices you can get are for modern parts.

I personally would avoid the 1070 - in that range, the lowest I'd go is a 1080Ti.

Has DDR memory gone up, dropped, or remained stable during this chip and GPU shortage?

Just now, Lorca said:

Has DDR memory gone up, dropped, or remained stable during this chip and GPU shortage?

From what i know, GPU / Graphic Cards certainly went WAY up, but like, by a ridiculous amount, i guess it also affected other components but (probably) not that much.

38 minutes ago, Marhier said:

You won't be able to use your PSVR headset on your PC I'm afraid mate.
Well, you might be able to, but I don't think it's officially supported; functionality will depend on third-party software, and I doubt there's any tracking support.
Also, the visuals in that thing are just terrible IMO.

I use the Quest 2... It's affordable, has a great, high res display and can run up to 120Hz.

If your budgets is $2,300, I would suggest using something like PC part Picker to do a build and see what the best prices you can get are for modern parts.

I personally would avoid the 1070 - in that range, the lowest I'd go is a 1080Ti.

Alright, i'll keep that in mind, thanks, like i said, it's my first build so i'm ignorant of stuff, hey, it's still better than blowing money away without asking for second hand opnions when having the chance to do so, so i'm off to a good start i guess...

Once again, thanks.

-ThePlayer

I was apprehensive in upgrading to W11. I think it's ok. Everyone said the same about Windows 10 too in the beginning. Windows 8 was a mess, but 8.1 was better.

I used to build my own PC's in another life. I stopped doing  that when I ran into BIOS update issues and drivers that were giving me a headache during the Windows installation process. Even when I bought my custom PC (built by NCIX — anyone remember them)?) I had to return my PC because they didn't configure WIndows 7 properly for AHCI. I'd just rather spend the $50 (back then) or $100 now to have them install the PC and return it back to them to troubleshoot rather them pointing the figure on me that it was my fault.

25 minutes ago, paquarri said:

yeah, that 3060ti has really increased tho

Actually, my source's price dropped by $50 USD for the version I got.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

4 minutes ago, ThePlayer said:

From what i know, GPU / Graphic Cards certainly went WAY up, but like, by a ridiculous amount, i guess it also affected other components but (probably) not that much.

DDR 3200 is still pretty expensive it seems, especially SODIMM 3200 in 16GBx2 dual channel configurations. 

I just put your spec in PC Park Picker, but added an RTX 3060 Ti and it came to under $2,000.00
Add a Quest 2 in there and you've got on, or just under your budget, providing you can get them parts at those prices.

This is based on that you can get the parts at the prices listed and if they're in stock.
I'm in the UK, so bit harder for me to say, but where I am, stock is showing in most retaliers now of all these parts.

1 hour ago, ThePlayer said:

12700 will obliterate it, id suggest a 12700f cause for whatever reason they are really cheap, pretty much invalidating the 12600k at this point cause of how cheap they are

RAM: (32 GB Total): G Skill Ripjaw V - DDR4-3600 - CL19-20-20-30 1.35V - 8GB of RAM each stick (It will be set up on a (4 x 8 GB) configuration).

4x8 is a horrible config, go for 2x16, and 3600 cl19 is a joke, just get some cheap 3200mhz cl16 rams, literally just the cheapest that are available

Pricing doesnt make sense since a gen4 ssd is only ~20-30$ more and there are cheaper gen3 ssds that perform the same

Hyper t2 is horrifically inadequate xD, just get a decent (dual) tower with 5 or more heatpipe like macho, fuma 2, mugen5, etc.

23 minutes ago, Marhier said:

Alright, it's all set, so this is what i will be building then, thank you.

-ThePlayer

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

12700 will obliterate it, id suggest a 12700f cause for whatever reason they are really cheap, pretty much invalidating the 12600k at this point cause of how cheap they are

4x8 is a horrible config, go for 2x16, and 3600 cl19 is a joke, just get some cheap 3200mhz cl16 rams, literally just the cheapest that are available

Pricing doesnt make sense since a gen4 ssd is only ~20-30$ more and there are cheaper gen3 ssds that perform the same

Hyper t2 is horrifically inadequate xD, just get a decent (dual) tower with 5 or more heatpipe like macho, fuma 2, mugen5, etc.

Alright, i'll keep that in mind, and thanks for the suggestions too.

-ThePlayer

28 minutes ago, Marhier said:

Why a 11900K ? For gaming/VR you'd be better with even a 12400, and for the 11900k+mobo price you can get a 12600K+mobo (CPU is $100 cheaper mobo $100 more expensive.)...

And the CM Hyper 212 cooler will struggle to cool the K skews 250W burst...You need a beefier cooler for OCable Intel chips

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Why a 11900K ? For gaming/VR you'd be better with even a 12400, and for the 11900k+mobo price you can get a 12600K+mobo (CPU is $100 cheaper mobo $100 more expensive.)...

And the CM Hyper 212 cooler will struggle to cool the K skews 250W burst...You need a beefier cooler for OCable Intel chips

I was just putting their build from their original post into PC Part Picker for them for pricing.
But 100%, would recommend a better cooler for that processor - I should have mentioned that and have updated the list accordingly.

In regards to chaging the CPU and motherboard, also a good options... Though going LGA 1700, they should be mindful that the cooler they buy may not come with the right mounting brackets etc.

I would suggest they look at some benchmark videos on YouTube for their use case to see if it'll give them the performance they want.

2 hours ago, ThePlayer said:

Alright, it's all set, so this is what i will be building then, thank you.

-ThePlayer

Why ? The 11900K is a terrible cpu. Do yourself a favour and go 12th gen or Ryzen. Also the 6700XT is better value than the 3060 ti. Not sure how good/bad the XFX models are, but there is a 6700XT on pcpartpicker for $599.99. So $120 or so cheaper than that 3060 ti.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 3:01 AM, ThePlayer said:

Budget (including currency): $2300 (I might save up a bit more if needed).

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming - Specifically playing iRacing, Project CARS 2, Forza Horizon 5, etc. (Like, demanding games yo)

Other details Before i write this down, i want to clarify that i'm planning on using VR for iRacing and Project CARS 2, then use a single monitor for Forza Horizon 5 and literally any other game. It's worth noting that i already own a VR Headset and a Steering Wheel (and recently also got my hands on a Dualsense gamepad and even a DeathAdder V2 mouse), i'm also running on Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit (Windows 11 seems to be a bit of a mess right now if word of mouth is anything to go by, maybe wait until a new OS comes out hmm?), so i can focus on the specs of the PC and monitor itself, as you can see, i really like playing racing sims.

------  You can skip this wall of text. ------

With all being said, i'm planning this to be a long-term build because prices have gotten horribly high these days, so it's more of asking if there's literally, for example, perhaps a better GPU, CPU, Case, Hard Drive, etc. that i can use in my build, doesn't matter if it's a bit more expensive if that's the case, but yeah, this will definetly be done by waiting for sales over the next months, maybe years until the prices start dropping to normal amounts but still have something that will last a while... and also perhaps grab them while on sale lol.

It's the first time i look up for parts and i am aware that there's lots of factors that can influence performance (which is why i'm asking here lmao) as for other uses besides gaming, it won't be for streaming, but, ironically, instead to also have stuff like Discord opened up just to talk to someone, not really thinking of having Chrome open because it somehow consumes more memory than actual (older) games (at least from what i saw in Task Manager anyway, might get a Terabyte of ram to open those Chrome tabs at this point 😛).

----- End of boring details. ------

On to the specs:

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B560-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard.

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card.

Case (proabably the most controversial choice): Fractal Design Meshify C - ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850 W

Monitor: Asus VG248QG - 24.0" - 1920x1080 - 165 Hz

Final Note: Apologies if this sounds like a dream build, but the reality is that i really saved up that much to consider building it (and i know that you're not supposed to flip the case upside down to see if the RAM stick is properly in place, those clicks when pushing those sticks in their slots are already anxiety inducing thank you very much), specially after getting the other peripherals lmao. I just need pointers basically, like suggestions if some parts are actually crap tier quality and there are higher quality stuff i could use that would last longer and so on, or perhaps just built more competently :P, maybe could turn out to be cheaper or a bit more expensive, but who cares, i'm already spending a lot so i want to do it right, so any help is always appreciated, thanks!

And yes, i got that DualSense, Mouse, etc. by literally waiting for that stuff to be on sale, it's been a long-term kind of thing like i said, so i can wait for the prices to drop for the computer parts in a few years there i guess... if ever eh?

-ThePlayer

Bro 11th gen intel is garbage. It was literally worse than 10th gen. Get a 12400/12600k/12700k

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface