12900K and 240mm AIO

Marhier
Go to solution Solved by Marhier,

Further to the above, I would highly recommend anyone wanting to get the 12900k (even if it's just for gaming), to consider a 360mm radiator if planning to get an AIO.

I built mine originally with a 240mm, and whilst I had no issues per se, the temps would sometimes get higher than I'm comfortable with, without having to undervolt.
I had a custom fan curve and it would constantly switch between the faster and slower speeds as it heated and cooled respectively.

The radiator would get extremly hot and didn't feel it was getting rid of the heat fast enough.

I was idling at 36 degrees, but under gaming load it would be in the low to mid 70's and sometimes get into the 80's.
I remounted the cooler 3 times to make sure it was on properly and getting a good spread of thermal paste... My results were the same each time.

This week I changed it to the 360mm model.
I'm idling at 29 degrees and running the same games, it's gone no higher than 62 degrees so far.

I wasn't expecting it to make that much of a difference, but it really has.

Hopefully someone who has the same questions I had finds this and helps them in some way.

Marhier!

Hi everyone, I hope you're all good!
I'm doing a build this coming Sunday and just wanted to get opinions on whether pairing the ASUS Ruyjin II 240mm will be ok with the 12900k.
In terms of workload, it will only be doing gaming.

Regarding air flow, it's sitting in an HAF X case.

Intake:
230mm fan on the front.
200mm fan on the side panel.

Exhaust:

Standard 120mm fan at the back by the IO
AIO radiator will be mounted at the top of the case, which has 2 no 120mm Noctua fans on.
There are also two 200mm fans secured to the top of the case.

The HAF X case can fit a 360mm radiator, but want to avoid having to sacrifice the top two drive bays.

Appreciate all support.
Thanks.
Marhier.

28 minutes ago, Marhier said:

Hi everyone, I hope you're all good!
I'm doing a build this coming Sunday and just wanted to get opinions on whether pairing the ASUS Ruyjin II 240mm will be ok with the 12900k.
In terms of workload, it will only be doing gaming.

Regarding air flow, it's sitting in an HAF X case.

Intake:
230mm fan on the front.
200mm fan on the side panel.

Exhaust:

Standard 120mm fan at the back by the IO
AIO radiator will be mounted at the top of the case, which has 2 no 120mm Noctua fans on.
There are also two 200mm fans secured to the top of the case.

The HAF X case can fit a 360mm radiator, but want to avoid having to sacrifice the top two drive bays.

Appreciate all support.
Thanks.
Marhier.

240mm AIOs are pretty powerful, generally.  As long as ther is a good place to hang the radiator I don’t see a problem.  The 1290k is unusually hot but 240mm AIOs are unusually powerful. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I thought the same.
I figured it would be ok, seeing as there are some beefy air coolers out there for it and would expect an AIO to perform slightly better than one of those.

I'd also imagine as it's just gaming, it's not loading the CPU like it would if it were doing any video rendering.

15 minutes ago, Marhier said:

I thought the same.
I figured it would be ok, seeing as there are some beefy air coolers out there for it and would expect an AIO to perform slightly better than one of those.

I'd also imagine as it's just gaming, it's not loading the CPU like it would if it were doing any video rendering.

There are possible complications. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Very true.
I will report back once built and have done some tests.

I'm also hoping the air flow from the case will help; I've had this case for 9 years now and not wanted to change due to it's thermal performace.

• 1 month later...

Further to the above, I would highly recommend anyone wanting to get the 12900k (even if it's just for gaming), to consider a 360mm radiator if planning to get an AIO.

I built mine originally with a 240mm, and whilst I had no issues per se, the temps would sometimes get higher than I'm comfortable with, without having to undervolt.
I had a custom fan curve and it would constantly switch between the faster and slower speeds as it heated and cooled respectively.

The radiator would get extremly hot and didn't feel it was getting rid of the heat fast enough.

I was idling at 36 degrees, but under gaming load it would be in the low to mid 70's and sometimes get into the 80's.
I remounted the cooler 3 times to make sure it was on properly and getting a good spread of thermal paste... My results were the same each time.

I'm idling at 29 degrees and running the same games, it's gone no higher than 62 degrees so far.

Hopefully someone who has the same questions I had finds this and helps them in some way.

Marhier!

13 minutes ago, Marhier said:

Marhier!

nice improvments!

keep in mind that all AIO Rads should be intake 

23 minutes ago, NorKris said:

nice improvments!

keep in mind that all AIO Rads should be intake 

I've got mine as exhaust; rad is mounted to the top of the case, and I also have 2 x 200mm fans above that which came with my case.
I can confirm my results are the same for both intake and exhaust... Though bear in mind I also have a 200mm fan on the side panel and at front for intake.

My results are much like the video LTT did a few years back:

44 minutes ago, Marhier said:

Marhier!

This makes sense to me.  My understanding is ‘big air’ has a thermal envelope max similar to all but the thickest (and most expensive) 240s. 360 is just higher though.  I do not know how much difference there is between a 360 and a 280. The 2d area (ignoring fin stuff) is about the same as a 360, but 140mm fans aren’t as good at static pressure as 120s so 280mm radiators tend to be sparse and thin. I wouldn’t be surprised if high end 240s beat at least some 280s.  My understanding is you just get more-or-less better behavior out of an air cooler, but their thermal envelope can be limiting on very hot chips. If you need a 360 to maintain ona 12900k machine you’ve likely already passed the thermal envelope limit of air. I suspect the 209mm fans do little if anything to the rad.  As fan diameter goes up static pressure ability goes down. 200mm is worse for static pressure than 140mm. ( better for airflow and low noise though)

Edited by Bombastinator

6 minutes ago, Marhier said:

I've got mine as exhaust; rad is mounted to the top of the case and I also have 2 x 200mm fans above that which came with my case, and I can confirm my results are the same for both intake and exhaust... Though bear in mind I also have a 200mm fan on the side panel and a 200mm fan at the front for intake.

My results are much like the video LTT did a few years back:

this tests shows 2 things;
run ur GPU.
38 = todays idle, and we dont care about idle temps

todays 90c cpus would benefit 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

but 140mm fans aren’t as good at static pressure as 120s so 280mm radiators tend to be sparse and thin. I wouldn’t be surprised if high end 240s beat at least some 280s. 

but do u rly need much static pressure to overcome a 25mm AIO rad? i dont think so 🤔

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

this tests shows 2 things;
run ur GPU.
38 = todays idle, and we dont care about idle temps

todays 90c cpus would benefit 

I will give it another go and do some more extensive tests with it.
Though my results genuinely have been identical so far.

1 minute ago, Marhier said:

I will give it another go and do some more extensive tests with it.
Though my results genuinely have been identical so far.

ye ok. but i have to admit that ur 200mm madness i prob the reason 😛

me myself is a 200mm fan, pun intended, running 4 of them 😄 

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

ye ok. but i have to admit that ur 200mm madness i prob the reason 😛

me myself is a 200mm fan, pun intended, running 4 of them 😄 

That's why I'm struggling to ever be done with this case... They weren't kidding when they called it 'High Air Flow'
XD

image.png.490432abb8c2e2bd260dc0900aaa5c34.png

28 minutes ago, Marhier said:

That's why I'm struggling to ever be done with this case... They weren't kidding when they called it 'High Air Flow'
XD

image.png.490432abb8c2e2bd260dc0900aaa5c34.png

the green is kinda much XD but yee  H500m is a good one tho  😉 

• 1 year later...

Love cases like that! I had to give mine up for my GPU sadly to keep the case relatively midsize. Now with HDD a thing of the past I have no need for the extra drive bays but the ability to pull drives easily is truly missed. Here is my beloved Thermaltake Level 10 GTS Snow Edition that was just shy of fitting a 3080ti11-133-198-06.jpg

@Marhier Try the rad on the front of the case on intake. You should see a significant change. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂