What SSD should I get for storing games

Go to solution Solved by shamus20,

i have had good experience with Samsung EVO drives in the past, even WD blue (SATA variant) are solid drives. some of 100-300 series Intel boards disable SATA ports if you use more than one NVME, or have it installed in slot 2. 2tb drives are expensive and if all you are doing is storing games and not playing them then a regular HDD is not a bad option and cheap.

Budget (including currency): 165

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Used for storing games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am looking for a 2tb SSD for storing games. It can be either SATA or M.2. If it's an M.2 it needs to be in the M.2-2280 form factor using the M.2 (M) interface and using NVME. If it is SATA then it needs to be in the 2.5 form factor using SATA 6 Gb/s interface. I don't care about looks and the M.2 will go in the second slot on my motherboard. I have a SATA cable already so the SATA SSD doesn't need to come with one. What SSD should I get? For refference my motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X. 

i have had good experience with Samsung EVO drives in the past, even WD blue (SATA variant) are solid drives. some of 100-300 series Intel boards disable SATA ports if you use more than one NVME, or have it installed in slot 2. 2tb drives are expensive and if all you are doing is storing games and not playing them then a regular HDD is not a bad option and cheap.

I favor M.2, but I've had good luck with the WD Blue SN550/SN570s, and they are available in 2TB as a 2280. I upgraded my current prebuilt starter rig to an SN550 Blue, and I opted for an SN570 Blue over an SN850 Black for my newly-completed 5900X build due to temp concerns (the SN850 has been shown to reach 100 degrees under heavy use). I actually had ordered the SN850 and sent it back unopened when I discovered this. Everything I gather about SSDs and gaming is that the super-speedy ones are pointless for such use, their speed adds unnecessary heat and they offer very little, if any performance increase, at least for gaming.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

i usually avoid sn550 or WD Blue NVME in general, i have seen a couple failures but i have had issues with file transfers saturating the cache. since then i generally avoid the NVME variant. also checked B&H for the prices of WD blue, and samsung NVME's either way it is still priced at 200usd min, but then again i am in Canada so i know parts are cheaper, just don't know where to look in the US.