Question about ASUS ethernet backhaul & other devices through an unmanaged switch.

Hello, I just bought a pair of Asus XT8's. I have a direct connection between the ISP modem and the first XT8 which acts as a router. Then one of the WAN plugs is connected to a TP-Link unmanaged switch downstairs. I have the other XT8 connected to the switch and other things like my camera system DVR. The two XT8s are connected to each other fine but I can't see my camera DVR under the list of devices. When I look at the list of active devices there is only one wired connection showing with the description "Tp-Link" so I assume that is my switch.

How can I get all of my other devices to show up under the clients and get them connected to the internet? I am also wondering if there is an issue in connecting the other access point and all of my devices to one switch.

Screenshot_2575.png

7 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

@Awsomestar123456 Can you plug your main ASUS XT8 to the switch instead of making it act as a router just to confirm if the problem is still there?

Did you scan devices with some third party tool or you checked on your main modem?

Sorry I’m a bit confused. The main one is the router and is connected to the modem on the WAN port and one of its plugs connects to the switch. 

I look at the GUI in the ASUS router to see what it says is connected. 

I had another net gear router connected previously and it had a weird thing where I couldn’t look at the camera system while on the house wifi if that helps at all

Sorry, Eng is not my native lang. What I wanted to say is: If the ISP thing is like all in one (modem/router/ap), can you disconnect ASUS gear and connect modem directly to the switch and scan the network just to be sure that ASUS gear is not creating the problem?

20 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Sorry, Eng is not my native lang. What I wanted to say is: If the ISP thing is like all in one (modem/router/ap), can you disconnect ASUS gear and connect modem directly to the switch and scan the network just to be sure that ASUS gear is not creating the problem?

I will try to do that when I get home I’m not sure if the fiber box can also act like a router. 

20 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Did you plug a WAN port or LAN port from the Asus box into the switch?

The main one goes from a LAN to the switch. Then the node connects to the WAN from the switch which is what I see on the ASUS website for connecting the nodes via a wired backhaul

F57E55B3-A782-4E99-9158-B018363CA786.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Awsomestar123456 said:

I will try to do that when I get home I’m not sure if the fiber box can also act like a router. 

The main one goes from a LAN to the switch. Then the node connects to the WAN from the switch which is what I see on the ASUS website for connecting the nodes via a wired backhaul

If I understood this manual correctly, Setup should look like this

Screenshot_2575.png.a777d506aff4839da0c0535c7ec08def.png

1 minute ago, uzivkovic97 said:

If I understood this manual correctly, Setup should look like this

Screenshot_2575.png.a777d506aff4839da0c0535c7ec08def.png

I only have one cable that goes from the main router to the basement. What would be the best way to achieve this type of setup with only one cable?

1 minute ago, Awsomestar123456 said:

I only have one cable that goes from the main router to the basement. What would be the best way to achieve this type of setup with only one cable?

Adding one more cable if you can I guess. But I think node can communicate with main router over wifi only (from my understanding cable is needed for better data transmission).

Can you confirm that everything what I wrote is correct (except for the wired connection from main to node)? Modem and Asus router connected the same way I drew (exact ports), as well as the connection between main router and switch?

14 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Adding one more cable if you can I guess. But I think node can communicate with main router over wifi only (from my understanding cable is needed for better data transmission).

Can you confirm that everything what I wrote is correct (except for the wired connection from main to node)? Modem and Asus router connected the same way I drew (exact ports), as well as the connection between main router and switch?

Yes, it is correct

Just now, Awsomestar123456 said:

Yes, it is correct

Can you hook monitor and mouse to the DVR and check about IP Address?

Maybe there is some IP conflict. Take a look on what's the IP of that switch (for example 192.168.2.5) Idk if that asus router has VLAN option, maybe your DVR is somehow on some other VLAN and trying to connect to network that doesn't exist.

30 minutes ago, uzivkovic97 said:

Can you hook monitor and mouse to the DVR and check about IP Address?

Maybe there is some IP conflict. Take a look on what's the IP of that switch (for example 192.168.2.5) Idk if that asus router has VLAN option, maybe your DVR is somehow on some other VLAN and trying to connect to network that doesn't exist.

So, I unchecked DCHP and rechecked it and it is working now. It seems like it just needed to be manually restarted to get the correct IP. Thank you for taking the time I appreciate the fast responses.

3 minutes ago, Awsomestar123456 said:

So, I unchecked DCHP and rechecked it and it is working now. It seems like it just needed to be manually restarted to get the correct IP. Thank you for taking the time I appreciate the fast responses.

Are you talking about DHCP option on main Asus or DVR? 
If it's DVR, you should actually give it static IP

Just now, uzivkovic97 said:

Are you talking about DHCP option on main Asus or DVR? 
If it's DVR, you should actually give it static IP

It gets a static IP but there's like an option to set it manually or automatically. I switched to manual and back to automatic and it's connected now

45 minutes ago, Awsomestar123456 said:

It gets a static IP but there's like an option to set it manually or automatically. I switched to manual and back to automatic and it's connected now

I suggest you to set it manually, and then go to your router and give the same static IP to the DVR based on it's MAC Address and It'll work without any issue.