Pc super slow and isn't getting any faster

Kael Fay

My pc used to run relatively fast. Its 11 years old and It runs slower than like every pc. But It has gotten super slow recently. My fps in games went from 100 on low settings down to 12-25 on low settings. I never have anything open in the background. I have tried ddu 3 times. I have reinstalled windows, replaced the hard drive, and upgraded ram. What could possibly be the problem. Its also taking longer on startup.

25 minutes ago, Kael Fay said:

My pc used to run relatively fast. Its 11 years old and It runs slower than like every pc. But It has gotten super slow recently. My fps in games went from 100 on low settings down to 12-25 on low settings. I never have anything open in the background. I have tried ddu 3 times. I have reinstalled windows, replaced the hard drive, and upgraded ram. What could possibly be the problem. Its also taking longer on startup.

This is one where specs are needed even more than most posts.   There are a bunch of things in the pinned posts about how to formulate a troubleshooting posts.  There are 11year old machines that will still game, but there are also ones that won’t.   Need more info

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You should probably run a anti virus, or see if an anti-virus program of yours is hogging up resources.

In addition as well, could it be a collision between your game's anti-cheat and the anti-virus on your computer?

I also wanted to ask what the temperatures were on your computer, has there suddenly been a major dust build up causing a change in the airflow, effecting the air flow and hence causing your computer to overheat, therefore triggering your system to run at a lower speed?

In terms of RAM, has it been set up properly in the BIOS?

Also as a note with the RAM, make sure it's running in duel channel, if you RAM system is supposed to be in the duel channel configuration. As as well as that, if you have a lower speed stick or RAM, such as 2400 MHz running alongside a 3200 MHz one, all sticks will go to the 2400 MHz one.

Unfortunately without the specs of your PC, I don't think there's really much we can do to help.

When was the last time you change the thermal paste? Check your CPU temperature AND clock speed while gaming. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |